[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Self education
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: demosthenes.jpg (41 KB, 259x382) Image search: [Google]
demosthenes.jpg
41 KB, 259x382
Apart from getting my degree in a subject of my choosing. How does one educate himself? I find much trouble searching for sources outside academic institutions to educate myself further.Such a privilege. Any ideas?
>>
Wikipedia? Idk, academic institutions provide structure to learning, give you opportunities to demonstrate what you've learnt, and you also have the wealth of knowledge that is your professors. It's part of the reason why being 'self-taught' a subject doesn't mean shit compared to having a degree in it (not the main reason, but somewhat of a significant reason)
>>
>>16517840
you just crushed my heart anon.Also , I don't mean to be an expert at everything, just knowing the basics of everything,it isn't a very bad idea,isn't it? Why do people this days know nothing outside their profession?
>>
Do you want to spend money on education or do you want it to be completely free?
>>
>>16517847
People with degrees aren't experts in their field, they just have more knowledge than the average person about it, because they've studied it for years, with the aforementioned structure. Honestly, I really don't know how else you could go about learning this stuff apart from Wikipedia, and that's super hit and miss. Academic journal databases are pretty useless unless you know what you're looking for, so those really aren't an option either. Maybe head to a uni bookstore and pick up a textbook about your interest topic?
>>
>>16517853
Depends. I don't want to specialize in said subject, just having general- intermediate knowledge will suffice. Example: I don't want to be a doctor but I would like to know how to perform first aid, human anatomy, and cellular functioning,etc
>>
>>16517825
The local library will have textbooks. There are all sorts of resources for all sorts of subjects online. Use Google.

I've read Greek and Latin classics, learned the pennywhistle, and studied for (and passed) the A+, network+ and security+ certifications online.

You have the entire wealth of human knowledge at your fingertips, if you just use it
>>
>>16517864
>Maybe head to a uni bookstore and pick up a textbook about your interest topic?
will do.
Also, I couldn't apply to those fields because, you know, it would take decades.
>>
>>16517877
Maybe you are right. Bad thing is, I'm really not good using the internet, I just never find what I'm looking for. Can you give me some tips or I'm just asking a stupid question?
>>
>>16517880
Which fields are we talking?
>>
>>16517877
>and studied for (and passed) the A+, network+ and security+ certifications online.
Curious, what are those?
>>
>>16517888
Maybe I should have explained myself better. Sometime in the future I will be (hopefully) the CEO of a multi market company, and in order to do so, I will need to know a bit from every field. The problem is , I don't need that knowledge to perform the job,, so no one provides me with the means, but it will come in very handy given the time.
>>
>>16517898
Do you plan to start your company or do you plan to take over an already existing company? Either way, having a degree in SOMETHING will be pretty valuable. Formal education teaches you things that you can't really learn on their own, like time management, critical thinking skills and problem solving. Learning a bit of everything is great, but knowledge alone won't help you achieve your goal
>>
>>16517908
But I'm already getting my degree, like I stated in my original post.I know what you are saying, there are things that university gives you that are unique, and I learned those things. This is not about practical knowledge (kind of). It's about knowing a bit of everything. For example, if I have to administrate a medical investigation department , even if I'm a licensed business engineer, I may not be able to make the most accurate decisions, do you get what I'm saying?
Also, I have many small businesses,some are a partnership, others are individual, but the one I'm talking about it's the "big deal".
>>
>>16517908
>no response
I fucked up, did I?
>>
File: display_image.jpg (570 KB, 1796x1180) Image search: [Google]
display_image.jpg
570 KB, 1796x1180
If you want to get laid go to College
If you want an Education go to the library- Frank Zappa
>>
>>16518047
Can you tell form experience?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.