[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a freshman, and I went to the wrong college. I want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: imgres.jpg (9 KB, 318x159) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
9 KB, 318x159
I'm a freshman, and I went to the wrong college. I want to transfer with every bone in my body, but I just don't know if it's the right choice.

I didn't get into any of my reach schools. In fact, I wasn't really thrilled with any of the schools that I got into, but the ones that I got into all gave me a TON of money in merit scholarships, so I couldn't really complain.

I ended up going to a school that's way smaller than I wanted, and is in a pretty shitty location, but they offered me over half tuition to attend, and their academic programs are exactly what I need.

What I didn't know before coming here is that ~75% of the student population comes from within an hour of the school (it's in Pennsylvania, I'm from Maine), and as a result it's very cliquey, sheltered, boring, and extremely High School-ish. The location is TERRIBLE, there is nothing to do on the tiny campus, and the surrounding area is not only economically depressed, but sooooo boring. I got rid of my depression senior year of HS, but it's back worse than ever. I hate the social scene, the parties suck, and I don't really get along with many of the people there (although I do have some good friends), I haven't so much as hooked up with anyone since I got here.

So I really want to leave, but they give me so much money, the academics fit my needs, I'm in the honors program, and I just don't know if it's worth it. Anyone been in a similar situation/ have advice?
>>
I promise you, transferring to another school is not going to fix your problems. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and make an effort
>>
>>16512583
Here I am, freaking out about how Im going to finish the degree I need to survive, with a possible war exploding at any moment and an economic collapse and you're complaining about bloody boring parties. Drop out and stop wasting everyone's time.
>>
>>16512609
It really pisses me off when people use the "someone has it worse than you, so you cant be upset" argument. There's someone out there that's someone's sex slave, there's someone out there who's a homeless quadriplegic, that doesn't mean you aren't valid in your complaints. We all have different lives, and different tolerance for hardship.
>>
>>16512609
I think OP's being a whiny bitch too, but I have to agree with >>16512621. This isn't the Hardship Olympics, no one gives a fuck what you're going through. If you have it so hard, make your own thread
>>
>>16512624

Call me a whiny bitch if you want, but I never said my life was awful. All I'm saying is that I really hate the immature, sheltered culture of my school, and want to know how difficult of a process transferring is. I'm not asking for your pity.
>>
>>16512629
That's nice. Moving schools isn't going to do anything. What is going to do something is making an effort to make friends.
>>
>>16512631

I have made friends, but there are very few people that I've met that I really like all that much. Everyone is extremely boring and don't want to ever go out and do anything.
>>
>>16512621
You cannot be serious lol Please tell me you didn't just compare Ops boring parties to sex slaves and hompless people.
>>
>>16512624
And when did I ask you to care? when did I ask anyone to care? Op has it good if all he has to worry about are boring parties while going to college.
>>
>>16512583
Wherever you go, you're going to find yourself there.
Wherever you are, you can get a good education by choosing classes and professors wisely.
Wherever you are, you can find compatible friends if you look in the right places. What sort of person are you? Where would people like you be likely to hang out?
>>
>~75% of the student population comes from within an hour of the school and as a result it's very cliquey, sheltered, boring, and extremely High School-ish.
>Anyone been in a similar situation/ have advice?
I went to a school just like that my freshmen year and then I transferred the fuck away. I maybe should've stayed because I transferred to a much better school that was more work and a little cost more and I'm still not doing anything with my education, but whatever. you should transfer.
>>
>>16513819
>Wherever you go, you're going to find yourself there.
good, good, I like where this is going
>Wherever you are, you can get a good education by choosing classes and professors wisely.
well, that's stupid and wrong, but whatever, I liked the first one
>Wherever you are, you can find compatible friends if you look in the right places.
nevermind; fuck you, you're retarded.
>>
>>16512583
>leaving scholarships and a good program because you don't have social skills

Welcome to life. You need to learn how to adapt in situations that aren't immediately comfortable to you.
>>
>>16512583
As much as I hate to say this...

It's college. You aren't there to make friends, you're there to get an education. If the social scene sucks, make friends with the internet and tinder away.

I have a vague feeling about where you may be in PA from the description and let me tell you, you aren't missing anything. So get online, tell the local women (hint- look for housewives) that you pitch a mean d, and move on.
>>
What's the name of the school? Sounds like you are describing my undergrad in PA.
>>
OP I really don't understand why people are trying to make it your fault that you aren't enjoying your time at an insulated shithole college.
>>
>>16513861

This guy is right. You aren't there to make friends, and the people with great social lives often don't do well.

Heres a fun exercise, at the beginning of the next semester, pick 3-5 people from each of your classes that you think are the most popular/social, and then see how many of them stay in the class until the end of the semester.
>>
>>16512583
OP fuck this noise about "get over it" "someone has it harder" bladdy fucking blah. You have one responsibility first and foremost in life and that's to make yourself as strong as you can be. You are here to flourish as a person - Eudaimonia the Greek philosophers called it - and become moral, just, upright, and powerful in your own right.

Second, I went to a ranked school in a depressed location with a major Greek frat/sorority presence, we're talking like 80% Greek. I went to a bunch of frat parties and realized that shit was weird, paying for fake friends, and becoming an indentured servant. So I understand what it's like to go to a school and try to make the best of it because it's known as a "great school."

So you have two choices:
>Try another college
>Make the best of where you are
And you really need to think 5 to 10 years down the road - what's going to take you to the closest life you want to live?

Why not sit down and make a list of schools that you think you would rather attend. How are your first semester's/year's grades? Can you get into schools you might enjoy more now that you've had a semester under your belt?

Figure out what your options are, then think 5 - 10 years down the road, and act accordingly.
>>
What college, OP?
>>
>>16513957
More /adv/ice. Once you have your list of schools, think about what attracted you to those schools. Can you recreate those attributes at the school where you are? Can you study abroad for two years straight in different foreign countries a.k.a. live it up on student loan money paid for by your scholarship? My buddy did this in Japan and it was one of the best experiences of his life, courtesy of scholarships.

So you can get creative with your tactics once you've decided what your strategy is - switch schools, make the best of your school, etc.

Also realize that student debt is one of the greatest economic threats to the country in this day and age. People are kind of clueless about it but really be honest about the worth of your scholarships.

How does a $700/ month student debt payment sound on top of rent, food, car maintenance and insurance, etc.? Avoiding that can be a huge plus to you.

BUT if you can go to a school where you can achieve great income post college but also enjoy your college experience much more, that then maybe it's worth it. You just have to honestly evaluate your options with a clear head.
>>
>>16513880
I'm gonna go ahead and start projecting but I had the mentality of thinking that I went to college to study and not to mak e friends and I got exactly that . I graduated with good grades but zero friends (I had amicable but ultimately meaningless relationship with classmates, my interactions with them died the moment I left the classroom)

Didn't feel too bad when I graduated but now I'm 25 and I feel completely alone save for my family, I don't have any meaningful relationships and I spend most of my time just working and fucking around the internet (plus virgin but that would have probably happened. With friends or no friends).

Ignoring the social side of college was one of the worst mistakes I've made in my life, besides losing out on potential connection for job opportunity i felt like I missed out on what is pretty much one of the last spots in your life where you interact with a crowd of people your age and with possible similar interests, that doesn't really happen in working life, my closest aged co worker is a 32 year old secretary
>>
>>16514028
This entirely. Part of going to college is learning to become a well rounded individual (including your social life). The friends and connections you make in college are worth just as much as good grades. The reason I have a good paying job out of college is because of one of my good friends. Would I have found a job on own? Maybe, as I still had the grades. However, I was getting interviews at different places and not getting the job, but the current job I have included a good word to the hiring manager from my friend.

Meeting new friends outside of college and high school is hard to do from what I have found in my 3.5 years post-college.
>>
>>16514067

Changing schools isn't the answer though. I think OP will have the same problems wherever he goes.
>>
>>16512583

Deal with it.

4 years is nothing and will blow by quicker than you know it. Stay there, make connections, join clubs/organizations, and then laugh four years later when what you owe back is pennies and you have a nice comfy entry job, while your friends are in hundreds of thousands in debt because they wanted to party.
>>
>>16512583
If you're miserable, you should transfer
Life is too short to waste 4 years of your life in some crap town if you'll be happier elsewhere
Just go for it
You'll regret the things you didn't do more than the things you did.
>>
>>16514221
>I think OP will have the same problems wherever he goes.
I don't, because
>tiny campus, and the surrounding area is not only economically depressed, but sooooo boring.
>>
>>16514397
>Stay there, make connections
>~75% of the student population comes from within an hour of the school
>a nice comfy entry job
you're a fucking moron. OP does not what to live there, how the fuck are they going to laugh in an entry level job someplace they hate to live.
>>
>>16514451

You do realize there is a thing called the Internet, and transportation.

Connections isn't just meeting face-to-face, you can talk to people on the other side of the planet while you're taking a shit. Also, you'd be surprised who people know.

This isn't Colonial times Grandpa, this is 2015 AD where you literally have the world at your fingertips.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.