[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to make music. i also know nothing about the technical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1347212112130.jpg (201 KB, 403x577) Image search: [Google]
1347212112130.jpg
201 KB, 403x577
I want to make music. i also know nothing about the technical skills that go into making good music. my plan is to learn an instrument (ideally two) to develop an understanding more efficiently. is this a solid plan, or is there something im not doing?

also, this might go on /mu/, but /adv/ has always worked for me in the past.

pic unrelated
>>
>>16509899

Learning to read music should be your first objective.
>>
piano's a good place to start, pretty straightforward and a great skill to have, especially being able to do two different things with your hands at once. you should look up the book "piano for the developing musician", I found it as a pdf for free on google a while back but it's the same book I was required to have in a piano class a while ago, starts off pretty simple and slowly gets more difficult, as long as you commit yourself to practicing every day and using a metronome you'll be shreddin' in no time.
>>
>>16509899
Musician here

I would say start out with anything that will teach you how to keep a beat (I'd say drums) and then move on to piano to learn notes and how each note falls into a scale.

There are plenty of instructors that are out there, and some teach for free or low cost because they're trying to fulfill a requirement of some kind for their degree.
>>
>>16509999
>>16509991
>>16509951
thanks anions. would learning something more difficult (flute, trumpet, ect) be something to do early on? or will that be too advanced to learn on effectively ?
>>
>>16510012

I learned trumpet before I moved on to piano and drums and I really regretted it.

Don't get me wrong, I learned about keeping a beat and scales, but there's something about learning drums and piano first that kind of give you a better understanding.
>>
>>16510020

I think that having a picture in your head of CDEFGABC as a linear progression of steps on a piano is the best foundation for learning music a person can have.

I couldn't imagine having started with a trumpet. I would think that my mind's eye would view music as like a circle or something.
>>
>>16510012
The trumpet (imho) shouldn't be a first instrument. It's all about tone and knowing what a G vs. an F sound like before you even pick it up. There's three keys and not that many combinations.

Go for the piano, serious. You can get a shitty keyboard at Value Village or Goodwill for $10 and you can actually SEE the notes. The piano is designed as musical notes in physical form.
>>
>>16510071

It wasn't a tough transition, it was just re-learning how to visualize notes, really. I will always advocate for drums/piano first, however.

>>16510080

I couldn't agree more.
>>
>>16510093
>>16510080
picking up a very cheap keyboard sounds like a really good idea. is there anything I should be wary of though? I don't really want to learn on one incorrectly because it was faulty in some way
>>
>>16510146

might wanna buy a sustain pedal to go with it, makes it feel like you're actually playing piano. I agree with the others in this thread though, piano's best place to start just 'cause it gives you a good foundation of where all the notes are. if you can get your scales down on piano it's pretty easy to figure it out on other instruments from there
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.