[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
pathological lying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1333357649952.jpg (84 KB, 407x600) Image search: [Google]
1333357649952.jpg
84 KB, 407x600
I have a problem with pathological lying. I vastly exaggerate or make up random stories to seem more interesting. In addition to that I sometimes lie for no reason about trivial stuff, like when someone asked me what I did yesterday. I think I want friends, even family etc to see me as a person I in reality am not, and I really can't seem to stop it. I don't know why, because I don't have any obvious insecurity issues or whatever. I'm perfectly fine with who I am and I live a happy life.

For some reason I'm also a very good liar. Stories, backgrounds of characters, tiny details etc just materialize themselves as I'm making stuff up. And it's affecting my memory as well. After long enough time, what where lies become memories in my head. I sometimes have trouble telling if stuff from years ago was real or not.

Anybody like me out there? How to make it better?

pic semi-related
>>
>>16509250
Go see a professional.
You're never going to have any good relationships with that on your hands.
>>
>>16509250
Go to therapy.
>>
You can't accept yourself and you think the only way to make yourself appear valuable and gain acceptance is to lie to others. You need to realize that the biggest lie is that you are not valuable otherwise. Each one of us have doubts about our own worth, but if you always remind yourself of it, it will only get worse and you will always want to hide yourself from others, but this way you will never be able to build up a happy life. Try to trust others more, give them a chance to accept you.
>>
>>16509253
>>16509254
I don't have the money, but I wouldn't even if I had. To be perfectly honest I think therapy is pretty much BS.

Also I've never had problems with romantic relationships. Had only a handful but they all lasted for >1 year and ended for pretty normal reasons.

>>16509264
>the only way to make yourself appear valuable and gain acceptance is to lie to others
that's essentially true, except that it isn't the the only way but the easiest way.
>>
>>16509250
Exaggerating and story-telling is fine just so long as you don't say something that you will need to remember later ("hey anon remember that one time when..?"). Being a habitual liar is easy if you only resort to half-truths, that way you don't need to construct additional falsehoods to maintain the mask.
>How to make it better?
I'm not sure.
>>
>>16509271
Relationships don't directly translate to romantic relationships.
I meant relationships with family, friends, coworkers, significant others, etc. can't be stable/healthy when you're a pathological liar.
My sister is a pathological liar, and I don't like her and my parents don't trust her.
>>
>>16509275
well yeah I'm good at it, which is probably one of the reasons it's getting worse. I don't want to do it though. It is stressful, makes me feel bad and is unnecessary...
>>
File: 1428809319015.jpg (76 KB, 572x601) Image search: [Google]
1428809319015.jpg
76 KB, 572x601
>>16509279
>I don't want to do it though.
Of course you do. That thrill of making shit up is what drives you forward, your attempt at inner reconciliation notwithstanding. You CAN manage it though which is what I was suggesting.
>>
>>16509279
People know you're lying trust me..
You may be getting away with some or most lies but most people, unless they are really naive, know that you're lying. They may even be setting you up to lie.
For example they may very well know what you did yesterday and they ask you just to see if you'll lie about it.
I know this from experience of having a friend that was a pathological liar. He would lie about trivial stuff non stop just to seem interesting. I would set him up for lies all the time and he lied constantly. I never told him I knew he was lying and made fun of him with everyone else that knew he was a liar. Eventually just stopped being friends because who wants a friend like that. Nobody
>>
>>16509250
>I'm also a very good liar

Trust me--that's not what people are saying behind your back.
>>
>>16509250
>After long enough time, what where lies become memories in my head.

This is bordering on psychotic behavior.
>>
>>16509585
this

a small lie is believable but pathalogic liers are fucking retard 12 year olds

nobody believes your shitty stories and after 2 obvious lies they know you are a child thats full of shit
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.