[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
lineman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1390477547705.jpg (24 KB, 276x280) Image search: [Google]
1390477547705.jpg
24 KB, 276x280
So I'm looking into getting into the lineman career because of the rad benifets and pay. Thing is, its dangerous as fuck and I have people that care about me. Any lineman here that can give me insight on the job and what I should expect?
>>
>>16504624
Which team do you want to play for?
>>
>>16504655
Fuck I should clarify I mean a high voltage cable repair/installation utility worker
>>
>>16504673
I was joking. It is dangerous. But I imagine you have to be highly trained and skilled in what you are doing. Skill and experience with the right amount of fear will make it less dangerous.
>>
It's probably not as dangerous as you think. You'll have the training and proper equipment to do it.

I wouldn't worry about it at all.
>>
>>16504682
Surprisingly the tech school I'm looking at is a one year course. It seems like its not a lot of time for such a job.
>>
>>16504688
On a scale of most dangerous jobs in murica its pretty high up there, like really high. And to my shock so is garbage men.
>>
>>16504689
I'm pretty sure they'd have an apprenticeship or shadowing someone for a while before they stick you with the real stuff.
>>
>>16504703
I'd get my apprenticeship through the school and would follow a journymen for a few years. But I'd imagine I'd get my hands dirty during that period. I feel like I just need to have a good since of situational awareness and know what the fuck I'm doing
>>
>>16504697

Your still over-reacting. Being a pilot is also one of the top dangerous jobs. And how many commercial airline pilots die a year to job related occurances. Like none.

You'll be fine. Don't worry about it. Go make that money
>>
>>16504720
Thanks m8, its seriously insane the pay though. A 1 year class will cost 6500 in tuition and I'll make 60-80k a year straight of the bat and then 100-150k+ as a journymen. Its fucking nice
>>
>>16504726

I'm hoping Dominion Power opens up their apprenticeship program soon here. They hire with no previous for Groundsmen. And you make $25/hr full time while you shadow a Linesman for 3 years. After the 3rd year you take a Linesman cert. If you pass you get rated as a Linesman and your pay jumps to $39/hr.
>>
>>16504737
I was checking out the groundsman job overview and it seems like there grounded linesmen. I'm still keeping my options open as to what I want and that doesn't seem all to bad either.
>>
>>16504753

Yeah do what you gotta do. If Groundsmen opens here I'll take it. I don't really see my life going anywhere at this point. I don't have really many options.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.