[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>on phone with grandma >she mentions wanting to give me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 620x349
>on phone with grandma
>she mentions wanting to give me her violin because im the next musician in the family after her
>very special violin

>soon hang up
>ask father about violin
>he says "well youre not really going to play it right? Its worth 8000 dollars."

What do? It seems like my dad thinks i shouldnt receive the violin and that he wants to just pocket the money, even though my grandmother told me she wants me to have it.
>>
Do you even play the violin?
If it's worth 8k then I assume it's a stradivarius or something high end. If you don't already play the violin at a high level, this will be wasted on you. However, if there's some sentimental value, I guess keep it.
>>
Fuck your dad, play the shit out of that violin anon.
>>
If you are play the violin I would keep it until you got decent at it, or at least knew enough to take care of it.

If it's not extremely sentimental I guess it would be best to sell it, otherwise keep it. Your dad sounds like a "scave" though, like peasant child tactics are going on, which is weird.

I generally don't bother with the family inheritance thing. I decided to let them do what they do and make my own money, which I do effectively.
>>
Thanks guys

To claify, i actually do not play violin. I play piano. As for wanting to play, i would love to, and my grandma would like that - but i also could very well suck and i know that it would be a waste of a great value

It is a fairly sentimental piece for her. But not one that is, i would say, an "essential" piece to her.

In all honesty i think the best thing WOULD be to sell it, but my dad made it seem like he thinks he should keep the money rather than me (id split it though).

Meh. I dont wanna make a big thing of it. But wondering if i should bring up keeping it or splitting it.

Wish i could play it well
>>
>>16504493
I'd keep it at first.
Try to play it. If you don't pick it up again for a year I'd say sell it.

Give it a chance first before you sell it off forever.
>>
>>16504493
It's not really great value and it doesn't sound like it's going to lose value any time soon.

I feel like the average type of person who would be get themselves a nice house might mount it on the wall. A lower class person might whittle away the money on a TV and some beer. Either way it's not money that changes much, unless you really need that bit extra for something.
>>
>>16504498
Thats a good idea, i think i should at least give learning it an attempt, i dont think shes necessarily expecting that, but i think it would be nice for her.

>>16504508
Ya good point. 8k wont go too long, might be worth it to keep around as a keepsake.

Thanks.
>>
>>16504511

Good instruments gain value over time

You should play on it, keep it even if you don''t like playing, and then sell it at a time where it is truly neccesary to do so.
>>
>>16504531
I think thats a good idea.
For some reason my dad seemed against it, hes usually not like that with money, but if i explain to him i genuinely want to try playing with it, and will care for it, im sure he will not be so difficult.
>>
File: robot.jpg (447 KB, 2000x830) Image search: [Google]
robot.jpg
447 KB, 2000x830
OP it doesn't even fucking matter if you play the violin or not. Your grandmother wanted you to have it so it's yours. It's a gift you can do whatever you want with it.
>>
>>16504478
>If it's worth 8k then I assume it's a stradivarius or something high end.
If that thing is a Stradivarius, then your grandmother doesn't know what she has. Those things aren't even high-end; they're god-tier, with a price tag to match. Forget $8000; they go for millions on the exceedingly rare occasions that they're even sold.

But it is probably not a Stradivarius.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.