[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oh No! I majored in History! I'll be dis owned! I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5
File: dodo.jpg (227 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
dodo.jpg
227 KB, 1200x900
Oh No!
I majored in History!
I'll be dis owned!
I'm a failure!
Death!
>>
>>16503142
Fairly accurate. You'll always have a bad dead end job and no one will see you as a success. I bet you went to a B tier university.
>>
>>16503170
Oh, and my real issue seeing you as messing up is not even getting a double major. Being just a history major means you're a fuckhuge slacker.
>>
>>16503177
that's not true
>>
>>16503195
You're right, a slacker, an idiot, or someone who declared junior year. None of which screams of success
>>
File: 2015-11-26 08.59.38.png (889 KB, 1062x1365) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-26 08.59.38.png
889 KB, 1062x1365
Not necessarily
>>
>>16503227
not true
>>
>>16503227
>>16503177
>>16503170
Dude fuck off, get off his back. We're here to advise, not berate. Too bad in your fancy school you didn't take a class on how to not be a dick.

OP it doesn't matter so much on the degree as much as it matters what type of person you are that will determine what you do and how well you do it. Tell me why you went for that degree in the first place.
>>
>>16503170
>I bet you went to a B tier university.
top lol matey
let me guess
B tier doesnt matter if it's engineering right
>>
>>16503170
What's a b tier University
>>
I realize this is a joke, but here are my questions for someone who might say this seriously.

What do you intend to do? How does a history major figure into your being able to do it? What else will you need to do in the process of becoming able to do what you intend?

You don't have to tell me the answers to these questions. As long as you are able to answer them, I am satisfied. I don't care if your answers are strange: in fact, strange answers are better as long as you can still pull them off. They give you an interesting story, and as long as that is still a success story, it will be an advantage when the time comes to do job interviews.

You don't need to be a STEM major to be successful, but you do need to study like one. You are there to learn how to do something, and this is your priority. This is not to say you can't also find yourself, broaden your horizons, and do all the other crap that liberal-arts colleges say college is actually for; just do it in your spare time, after you've done the work.

Beware: liberal-arts departments despise this attitude. They will actively try to discourage you from this. They will claim you are "missing out". Do not listen to them. They are carrying on an ancient tradition based on societal assumptions designed for ancient aristocrats that simply do not hold for most people in the modern world, and they are having trouble letting go. Put your skills first, and you will be all right.
>>
>>16503142
ask >>>/his/
I guess (wild guess) that you could become political advisor, work for think tanks, etc.
>>
>>16503331
> and do all the other crap that liberal-arts colleges say college is actually for; just do it in your spare time, after you've done the work.
disagree with this part
this shit happens naturally as you progress
it's like saying you have to make an effort to "network"
yeah maybe if you have severe autism
>>
I hope you really wanted to teach history in highschool.

Anyone with actual aspirations in life would have done literally anything else.
>>
File: Spongebob-and-Patrick-Laughing.gif (350 KB, 500x344) Image search: [Google]
Spongebob-and-Patrick-Laughing.gif
350 KB, 500x344
>>16503473
There are stem fags itt that can't make friends in college
>>
>>16503496
Wrong
>>
>>16503331
There was one couple in my dorm/house who majored in history and they both became park rangers. I visit them sometimes and they're really happy with their jobs and lives.
>>
>>16503593
> Park Ranger
Fuxking nope
>>
>>16503598
No one's asking YOU to be a park ranger
>>
Don't reply, it's a copypasta. You even used the same image from last time.
>>
>>16503604
I want help
>>
>>16503598
Why not, just out of curiosity? You start off around $35k, then work your way up to around $60k as a senior park ranger. In the meantime, you get to spend all your time outside fishing, hunting, and four wheeling in the woods.

It's not for me, but that's a job where you basically get paid to have a fucking awesome life.
>>
>>16503614
Not fun, not enough money
Dinky uniform
>>
>>16503628
If $50k+ isn't enough money what do you plan on doing with your life? Do you want some kind of james bond villain lair with a shark tank and lasers?
>>
>>16503631
Nah I'd be happy in a one room apartment, hell a 2.5 tatami room is good
The hours are bad, pay is too low, uniform is dorky, job is dorky, and it'd just kill me inside
>>
>>16503647
That's fair. Sorry for being snappy, it's been a long day.

For the record, while we're on the subject of degrees, I have a CS degree and I work in retail and they have me working a 10 hour day on Thanksgiving, so I'm more than a little peeved. Your mileage may vary.
>>
D >>16503694
>>16503694
I thought CS was the future
>>
>>16503606
But it wasn't even history last time, it was linguistics

you need to step that shitposting game up
>>
>>16503760
Because I didn't make that thread...
>>
>>16503142
HAHAHA
CÛCK
>>
How
Now
Brown
Cow
>>
>>16503969
Hmmm
>>
Cyck
>>
>>16503716
Literally any major can be the future.
>>
>>16503593
>Park Ranger
Fuck, I love outdoors. Too bad I'm not American.
>>
>>16505086
WRONG
>>
I'm a History major and work in a museum. So...yeah. I don't intend on getting rich, nor do I want to.

What's the big deal? I don't get why you all are so wrapped up in your stupid idea of success, even though we're mortal. You're probably too young to think this applies to you.

You should just do what makes you happy. Every major is what you put into it. I got my Associate's in nursing, and I cake walked through it because I didn't really care about it. It's honestly what you make it.
>>
>>16505170
Can't be more wrong
>>
>>16505159
I'm sorry you feel that way. Unfortunately, feelings don't change facts.
>>
You can always start programming.
>>
File: 1393994198547.jpg (47 KB, 919x892) Image search: [Google]
1393994198547.jpg
47 KB, 919x892
>>16503142

....so you just came here to bait us into telling you your history major sucks so you could argue with us and convince us you made a good decision?

history major or not you use your free time quite inefficiently and idiotically.
>>
>>16505497
Correct
>>
>>16505497
>you use your free time quite inefficiently and idiotically.
That's why we're history majors bro.
>>
>>16506054
Wrong
Stop giving a bad name just because you're a lazy asshole
>>
I wantv to get a job
>>
>>16506243
>m]44 / 3 / 23 / 5 [Update] [Auto]
help
>>
No help
>>
This thread is like a whirlpool of despair and regret
>>
>>16507753
Nope
>>
this is one wacky thread yikes
>>
>>16503170
Geez, there are Law graduates from top 50 law school who ended up in retail.
Nowadays every field is saturated as fuck because there are too many graduates
>>
>History major

Holy shit dude, really?
>>
File: kk.png (72 KB, 132x204) Image search: [Google]
kk.png
72 KB, 132x204
>>16503506
There are liberal arts fags itt that can't find jobs to pay back their student loans
>>
>>16505497
lost my fucking shit bro

op is dumb as hell
>>
>>16503228
>using "has a degree in history" as an insult, something that would prevent success and that he should be lauded for his success DESPITE the degree in history

kek
>>
>>16510136
I'm the former and I made that post lol. Relax friend.
>>
>>16503228
so what you're saying is that if i build a working cyclotron, i can get a job?

jesus that one asian guy built one when he was ten. how hard can this be?
>>
I'm a loser
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.