[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So my parents are helping me pay for university and it makes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1
File: parents.jpg (25 KB, 377x252) Image search: [Google]
parents.jpg
25 KB, 377x252
So my parents are helping me pay for university and it makes me feel super guilty. Like I didn't earn it or something.

It doesn't help that every once in a while my GF mentions something like that when we fight, along the lines of "well MY parents aren't helping me pay for school."

But i mean, aside from financial assistance my parents are fucking nothing but sources of stress and anxiety in my life, they fight are irrational, almost get divorced every few years, guilt trip me, put pressure on me to be exactly who they want me to be, criticize my every step, and I've been in more than a few months of therapy due to self esteem problems caused by them. Where as her parents, despite not having as much money are fucking amazing supportive and loving people.

Should I feel bad for accepting their help to pay for school? Does it make me any lesser than those who pay their own way? How do you compare situations like this as if they are even? Hell I'd take having a good family life and not ending up this ball of anxiety and borderline self loathing tendencies over having cash for school any day.
>>
And here I have shitty parents like yours who didn't even bother to save anything for me to go anywhere.
You shouldn't feel ashamed. Although you may want to reconsider your relationship. Seems like she's just another source of stress/anxiety and abuse.
>>
>>16502947
>Is lucky enough to have parents that pay for his education
>Moans about typical things all parents do

I don't think you have a lot to be depressed about, son.
>>
if you don't have a job or being the least self sustainable, then yea you're probably a righteous cunt.
if it bothers you so much that they want you to be and do what they want, go your own way and don't accept the money.
however, don't feel bad for taking it, your parents offered and its a big help in the end, it doesn't make you any less, maybe her parents couldn't afford to do it for her or wanted her to pave her own way
>>
>caring what your gf thinks

Who cares what she thinks, if she doesn't agree with you and your views and aims replace her. This is your life, your dream, your destiny. Choose your friends carefully, clearly this friend you "have" isnt really very supportive or loving.

Plus since your parents are having a problem with staying married you could have the same problem.
>>
>>16502966
I think you are projecting what all parents are like because every single one of my friends in highschool thought my parents were nuts. It was a joke that my mom was insane. I'm not saying bad parenting is uncommon, but its not the norm.

>>16502972
I worked all throughout high school and saved 10 grand of my own cash to help pay for my shit, I've been working since I was 15. But I'm going into a 6 year program and not taking the money would mean having to live at home until my late twenties or having to work part/full time while trying to get a 3.8 GPA to get into my masters.
>>
>>16502947
Do you want to feel better? Tell your parents to stop underwriting your extended childhood and try making it on your own. That'll show them - imagine having the gall to overcome their problems with each other just to unite and try to help you. The nerve of them!
>>
>>16502972
I also do all my own cooking and cleaning and pay for my car/insurance/gas/phone all that crap. The car I got with inheritance from my grandma. But yeah, I pay for all my own shit for the most part.

>>16502994
It's not that I'm not grateful. My parents may not be the best parents, but I still love them. They try the best to raise me and did what they thought was right. But they both come from broken ass families and have so much shit they are unwilling to fix about themselves and instead lash out at others. This isn;t about me feeling mad at them for offering to support me, its just that I always hear people talk about how they had to make it on their own, or looking down on anyone who's parents help pay for their school. It makes me feel guilty, like I'm not really earning this, or that I'm not good enough if I don't do it all myself. Then again I never feel like I'm good enough which is partly why I'm in therapy.

I plan on paying them back one day. I should also point out I'm Canadian so my parents paying for my school isn't as insane as it would sound to Americans. Its about $25,000-30,000. Which yes is a fucking ton. But I know American schools are a lot more.
>>
>>16502947
>Have someone helping you pay for college
>Somehow this is an issue
Fucking white people I swear I don't even have words for this shit.
>>
>>16503028
This is exactly my point, people are made to feel like shit for having a helping hand. Like it makes them lesser. You will always be able to dismiss me because I had help.
>>
>>16503036
Not really sounds like your gf is just using whatever she can to feel better then you. Forget about it not like your gonna marry her. Once you got a good job and you are making money you think your wife will care about that shit? No she gonna bitch at you for something else. My point is don't think female bitching actually means anything in the grand scheme of life. My last gf told me straight up to ignore her when she is upset cause she just throws tantrums.
>>
>>16502947
My parents are paying for my school because I didn't really want to go and they offered to pay for it if I went. I don't feel bad and am graduating soon with no debt, fuck yea!
>>
>>16503047
I just feel like if im not doing everything all the time I'm a bag of shit, getting A's, lifting more, working more, can't take help from anyone. I don't want to feel like I couldn't do it on my own. Or that I'm lesser than those who did. I know I could do it, I could do it all on my own. But it would be hard as fuck. And with their help I can move out and finally not have to deal with the stress of living with them.
>>
>>16503054
>Tfw when I'm living the life you describe
>TFW when gf knew that still milked me for money
>TFW when I need another job but quit the last one because the labor was too much
>TFW when I can't even dare ask my parent for money
You don't know how lucky you are do you know what it's like to go to class then work till 4 am get home at 6am then go back to work at 10am then go to school then go back to work?
Let me tell you women don't start sucking your dick if you work hard people don't suddenly say thank you and your boss does not care you want a future outside of work and prof does not care that you just got back from a 300am shift and that you were only 10 mins late to class. You should be fucking grateful someone cares enough for you right now to do this.
>>
To reiterate I feel trapped. I feel like if I take the money then everything I do is invalidated, I'm just another spoiled white kid who didn't have to work for what he got, like I didn't earn anything. At least in the eyes of the world.

And if I don't take the money then I'm a retard/ still a spoiled white kid who refused to take advantage of the opportunity given to him and people will still think "Wow I wish I could have even had an opportunity like that, its offensive to those less fortunate that you would turn that down."

I feel like I can't win no matter what I chose.
>>
>>16503564
>I feel like if I take the money then everything I do is invalidated, I'm just another spoiled white kid who didn't have to work for what he got
that's dumb, no one cares about shit like that

you can pay your parents back by graduating on time, getting a good job, and when they get older changing their diapers
>>
soz OP that sounds like a tough situation.

honestly your gfs reaction sounds pretty clearly like jealousy. i think since you clearly cant and shouldnt do anything about your parents, the one thing you can do is talk to your girlfriend and honestly explain the way you feel and how she makes you feel. if she doesn't understand or becomes irrationally mean, maybe it's time to reconsider your relationship with her
>>
Well if you'd rather be stress free than have free cash, you've already made your choice, no?

Anyways, I don't know why anyone should feel bad about having their school paid for. I thought ideal families would want to save for their child's education. If your gf is trying to twist that to justify her parent's poor planning, then fuck her.
>>
>>16503062
It's not that I'm not grateful, that's not the point, I'm extremely grateful. But everyone, at least from what I've seen, dismisses you as a person as soon as you've received any help. If you have parents that help you through school then people instantly assume you are a spoiled shit who doesn't understand hard work or they assume you have this life of luxury and privilege and have never known any hardship .

They life you've described sounds exhausting and ball busting and I feel for you in doing all of that. But I've worked my ass off as well to do what I do, not to the same extent as you, not at all. But I've pulled 12 hour shifts and stayed up all night studying, I've gotten up at 6am to go lift to run to school after then work after that. I've spent nights trying to get work done while my parents are screaming at each other or my mom getting drunk and peeling off in her car after a fight, other nonsense like that. I've worked my ass off to get into a good program. And yet as soon as my parents offer to pay for a chunk of my school its like none of that matters, I'm just some spoiled kid who didn't have to pave his own way.
>>
I thought it was pretty normal for your parents to pay for college in the US? I mean, you hear people talking all the time about how they've got to save up a college fund for their kids etc.
>>
>>16503590
I'm from Canada, its a little different up here. Tuition is only like 6 grand a year and there's more government support that doesn't fuck you for life. But yeah its not uncommon. But there are a lot, a lot of people who instantly look down and shit on those who get family assistance, you hear it all the time, people who brag about paying their own way and how hard they had to work and the double shifts and those who didn't do the same don't know real hard work. At least I've heard quite a few people like this, but my experience is obviously only limited to where I am.
>>
>>16503589
>But everyone dismisses you as a person as soon as you've received any help
this is not even remotely true
>>
>>16503600
Huh. I live in NZ and it's also about $6-7k a year too. Maybe it's just our culture in that we don't like to talk about finances, but no one here really 'looks down' on people whose parents are paying their tuition. The general assumption is that everyone has a student loan though, but we don't really talk about these things in depth
>>
>>16503036

No. Who cares? You get to graduate college and say you don't have a six figure debt. You want to not feel bad about it? Work hard, get a good job, then buy your parents a new house.

Sulking over it helps no one.
>>
>>16502947
>parents are helping me pay for university

I don't know what the hell is wrong with this board, but everyone's parents do this. They might not pay for the whole thing or even half, but if you're a parent it's your fucking job to help put your kids through college.

I have no idea if everyone in here is on crack or what.
>>
>>16503627

Some people move out of their parents' house after they turn 18.
>>
My parents paid for my entire schooling (we are not, honestly, wealthy -- they just saved a little money every month for 20 years.) I am truly enormously grateful to have had the chance to attend school and do so without any fear of debt.

My mother is also terminally ill; I've had to take care of her for substantial periods. I got in a great relationship with a loving girl and then a year later had to help hospitalize her for severe depression to keep her from hurting herself.

Having a financially easy life doesn't mean every aspect of your life has been easy. Doesn't mean you don't experience (legitimate) stress or have to work very hard at times, doesn't mean you don't experience tragedy just like people who are fighting to stay afloat. I'd take a healthy mother and girlfriend over every cent they poured into my education as well.
>>
>>16503610
I dunno, that's what it's always felt like to me. But then again, as I mentioned I'm in therapy for some anxiety, self loathing and self worth issues. Nothing I've ever done has been good enough for anyone. Its always this constant push for more. And that's what this all is, its like I've worked so hard for everything and it just feels like because I get some help none of that matters. All of my hard work doesn't count because my parents are paying for half my school debt.

>>16503651
That's what I mean I know people like this, who go to school and they talk shit about anyone who has any form of help, and that those people are spoiled and don't know real hard work. Maybe I've just been surrounded by assholes or something but my experience has been people look down on you unless you do everything yourself.
>>
>>16503627
>if you're a parent it's your fucking job to help put your kids through college.
I disagree, and this is from someone whose parents have helped me out financially. I'm fortunate and grateful that they have helped, but I would never have expected them to if they hadn't. I think it's more a parent's job to instil a good work ethic and good attitude towards money so that their children can most effectively pay their way through university themselves. If they do help - great, but if they don't, I don't think any one has a right to expect their parents to pay for them.
>>
>>16502947
I see no issue with your parents helping you. Mine couldn't afford it but a lot of my friends and boyfriend had their paid for.
Bit shitty of her to throw that at you, you have to just realise it's jealousy and not give a fuck.
>>
>>16503663
See, this is exactly what I mean. When I see my girlfriends family and how loving and supportive they are, and all her relatives and stuff and I look at how my girlfriend is compared to me in terms of anxiety and self esteem and mental issues. I'd trade the fucking money for that in a heart beat. To just be able to not hate yourself for every little misstep. Not to feel sick when you don't get perfect or miss a lift.
>>
>>16503665
>I disagree, and this is from someone whose parents have helped me out financially.

Woah please tell me how you're going to pay $10,000+ tuition from doing summer jobs till you're 18. Are you kidding me? Parents have the responsibility of taking care of their kids, the people I know who are struggling with debt, like my ex, burnt bridges with their parents and left to run away and live a life where they didn't have to be told to do chores around the house.
>>
>>16502947
If you can't support a child all the way until it is finished with education and ready to enter the job market, don't have kids.

People don't think two seconds before they decide to have a baby. OP, unless it's your 3rd try in uni or so, you shouldn't feel guilty. Pay back your parents after you have a job by taking them out to dinner every now and then, or buy them a vacation or so. It's what I plan to do.
>>
>>16503674
You know taking a year or few off so that you can save up is always an option right? There is no need to go to university right after highschool if you can't afford it. Financial aid, working hard so you get a scholarship, loans etc. also exist. Your parents have a responsibility to look after you until you're 18. If they look after you past that, that's on them, but I wouldn't say you have a right to expect it from them at all. If your ex and others like him/her burn bridges, that's on them, not their parents.
>>
>>16503685
Spoilt posh boy alert.
Once you're an adult if you decide to go ahead with further education, pay for it your fucking self. If you parents want to help - that's great. But you're not fucking owed it.
>>
>>16503687
>There is no need to go to university right after highschool if you can't afford it.

You know this is really ironic from someone who just said that their parents paid for their college education.

I have no idea if you are trolling but I'll humor you. My entire college education cost somewhere around $250,000+ even with scholarships and financial aid included. Now if I got out of high school and went straight into the job market, I doubt I'd be making anywhere close to that amount of money in 5-10 years at the minimum. By then I'll be in my mid to late 20's, all this so I can say, "I worked hard and paid my way through undergrad!"

If your parents love you then they should do anything in their power to make sure you're ready to go out into the world and not have to work some crappy job after your 18th birthday cause that's what the law says. That's pure stupidity and it astounds me that someone who got everything paid for them holds such a mindset. Moron.
>>
>>16503672
Some people just aren't going to get it. Money (and the value of "independence" and "doing it all yourself" -- which nobody truly does) is a fucking big deal in this country. Unless you're the guy who said he was from Canada -- anyway ... if it's not too personal, whenever people (including your girlfriend) make you feel bad for getting help, I'd honestly suggest saying something like, I was and am incredibly grateful, but I'd have traded it all for a loving family and stable home life.

You haven't had it EASY; you've had it easy in one (admittedly big) way and quite hard in another. Some people have it easy in every way. Some people also have it hard in every way. I've been waiting for somebody to pop in and say, "well, I'm poor AND my mother also has cancer" to which all I could really say is ... sucks. I'm sorry. Doesn't give you the right to be a twat about it, though.
>>
>>16503627
some people are poor...
>>
>>16503664
>That's what I mean I know people like this, who go to school and they talk shit about anyone who has any form of help, and that those people are spoiled and don't know real hard work
textbook definition of having a chip on your shoulder, stop paying it mind its just people annoyed that they have to work harder than others because of bad luck, no point letting them get to you, if they were in the same situation as you they'd be taking advantage of it too.
>>
>>16502947
No, you shouldn't feel guilty. Having a child in college is like paying a second mortgage. Plus, they're your parents so they love you. Sometimes my daughter says she wants to pay me back after college, but I don't really want her to.
>>
There's really nothing you can do about it. It would be better to just feign dissapointment over your parents drama, facepalm a few times, or when you're done with school take a big vacation away from them as far as you can afford.
>>
>>16502947
>Does it make me any lesser than those who pay their own way?

Yes. Anything else you said or can say is irrelevant.
>>
>>16502947

>live in Europe
>tuition is free

feels good man
>>
>>16503917
then how does someone who has parents able to help financially win in your eyes? Do they need to turn down the assistance? Would that make them better? Or are you just inherently shittier for being born to parents able to assist financially?
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.