[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good jobs, /adv/? Requirements are: >Not an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: Nebelmeer.jpg (2 MB, 1634x2076) Image search: [Google]
Nebelmeer.jpg
2 MB, 1634x2076
What are some good jobs, /adv/?

Requirements are:

>Not an office job
>Little to no contact with other humans, at most a few coworkers, no clients
>Earns enough money to afford a small flat, eat whenever you want and buy some nice things from time to time
>Enough free time to go on small trips once in a while, 'wander the world'

Anything else is fair game, doesn't have to be fancy or glorious.

>inb4 just camwhore/sell drugs/join ISIS/whatever

Bonus points for any job that involves moving around/travelling
>>
>>16502143
>Not an office job
>Little to no contact with other humans, at most a few coworkers, no clients
First explain why you're so against these two things
>>
>>16502143
Microbiologist.
>>
File: the-pacific.jpg (51 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
the-pacific.jpg
51 KB, 333x500
>>16502148
They both suck gigantic cocks. Office work isn't bad, but boring. Dealing with customers and clients is a great constant reminder as to why people are fucking awful in general.
>>
>>16502143

>i want to travel
>not interact with people
>work from home
>make enough money to afford house + nice things + regular travel

Yeah OP got a mythical job right here, just ride this unicorn out to your interview and hopefully they'll sign you up.
>>
>>16502148
Office jobs provide little to no stimulation. If I have to spend about 1/3 of my day, maybe more, doing one thing, I don't want it to be sitting in front of a PC. I'm doing that enough as it is.

Work with other humans:
>>16502159
>customers
I do not have the 'skills' to work in a job where I have to pretend to be nice or be patient with stupidity for a long time.
I'd either start hating humans in general, myself or both.

>>16502161
>work from home
Didn't say that. You assume that I wanna sit in one place and do nothing, that's all.
Office jobs are out, that includes office jobs at home.

>afford house
not a house you oaf. One room apartment is more than enough.
>>
become a janitor
>>
File: view from the top.jpg (90 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
view from the top.jpg
90 KB, 960x720
you could be an officer on a cargo ship, generally its 6 months on and 6 months off so you've got plenty of time to travel, make tons of cash while travelling the world and don't have to deal with people since cargo ships have skeleton crews.

You really work hard onboard those ships though since its a 7 day work week.
>>
>>16502480
It's not what it used to be. There are a lot more restrictions on going ashore these days.
>>
>>16502480
Until OP gets raided by Somalian pirates, executed via gunshot to the back of the head and pushed off the side of the ship :^)
>>
>>16502494
depends on the ship more than anything, yeah container ships are in and out of port in 8 hours but MSC ships still stay in port for weeks at a time.

Besides you have 6 months of vacation to travel
>>
>>16502512
somali piracy is on the way out, all the major shipping companies have mercenaries onboard now

also they never executed sailors, why kill your most precious commodity
>>
>>16502480
>>16502513
Doesn't sound that bad actually.

I take it you have some experience yourself? Do tell some things about it, please.
>>
>>16502143
If people knew how to make decent money not doing the average stuff why the hell would they tell you? A good, desirable job only stays that way when it's relatively unknown or skilled. You don't sound skilled.

The jobs that pay anywhere near well enough for free time to travel AND afford to travel all require people skills. Because most people are awful at interacting with others.

In other words, keep dreaming. Go be a mechanic. They can make big bucks and go independent if they choose.
>>
>>16502523
you'll need to go to a maritime school to get licensed, assuming you're american there are 7 of them to choose from

you can go either deck or engine, deck (what I did) are responsible for standing bridge watches where you keep the ship on course and avoid hitting things, while also being responsible for maintenance of the ship itself and handling cargo, the other side is engine which is responsible for the propulsion and most of the ship's other systems.
>>
>>16502528
>why the hell would they tell you?
Asking can't hurt, right?

>You don't sound skilled.
Pretty true. Currently getting a bachelor in computer science because I'm pretty good at it, it's a field that is expanding all the time and the chances to start a decent career are high.
But I doubt that it's something that will make me happy in the short or long run. So I'd like to see if there are other, better things to do.
Worst case, I'll have to resign myself to mindless labour like my parents before me.
Best case, maybe the people here help me find something that will actually not suck the enthusiasm and love for life out of me by the time I turn 30.

>>16502532
German, studying in Vienna, actually.
It certainly sounds interesting. How is life aboard one of those?
>>
>>16502480
This also what I am learning for now, the education takes 4 years tho
>>
>>16502577
well since austria is not coastal i doubt there are any maritime schools, I know for a fact there are in germany though. I think its in Bremerhaven.
>>
Train driver here.

53k GBP per year. Mostly work alone or just meeting colleagues. Stimulating job when shit goes wrong. 60 days holiday plus can go sick no questions asked. Free train travel across my country.
>>
I don't know where you live OP, so your experience can differ, but if you like learning about history and human culture I'd recommend at least looking into archaeology. Again, it depends where you live and your expenses as far as making enough money when you start out in the business. But, it is incredibly stimulating and allows for travel if you play your cards right. You'll need some training of course and I'd recommend learning about the field via some classes and talking to other archaeologists before committing. It is also a lot of physical work so it isn't for everyone.

Also, if you live in the US, I'd look into seasonal national park and forest service jobs. You could be a park ranger or if you have interest in botany or animals, you can work in wildlife or vegetation. You'll need training for this kind of work too, and depending where you live a local college may or may not have a program for stuff related. Some parks and forests have great internship opportunities too. Either way, working seasonally for the government is a great way to move around and not have an office job, though it can be quite a challenge to grab a federal job of any kind these days.

Good luck OP! I am totally with you. Not wanting an typical office job was a major motivator for me to get into federal archaeology.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.