[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
english
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (247 KB, 719x1280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
247 KB, 719x1280
I'm just wondering if these sentences are correct gramatically.

Since the beginning of times civilizations have been competing in who is going to build the tallest building. It is a show of power and wealth of a country
>>
>>16499800
Put a comma after times, change 'who is going to build' to 'which one can build'
>>
>>16499830
Thanks, is the second one ok?
>>
Since the beginning of times civilizations have been competing in who is going to build the tallest building. It is a show of power and wealth of a country

Since the beginning of time, civilizations have competed to build taller and taller structures (synonym for buildings but includes more things like pyramids and totem poles and so on). These constructions represent the power and wealth of their civilizations.

same general idea, just with some nicer vocab and phrasing.
>>
>>16499854
Thanks a lot, can you just tell me if "show of power" is gramatically correct and can be used in spoken english? Just wondering for later purpuoses
>>
>>16499854
>These constructions represent the power and wealth of their civilizations.

"Their" is ambiguous. Whose civilizations? The builders of the constructions? The construction themselves'? Also, civilization is usually singular unless we're talking ancient history. Let it be, "Each great construction represents the power and wealth of its nation."
>>
>>16499869
Bump for this
>>
Since the beginning of time, civilizations have competed to build ever taller structures. These constructions represent a civilization's wealth and power.

Please tell me english is your second language because every post in this thread is better than the OP by miles
>>
>>16499869
>>16499913
"show of power" is a real phrase, yes
>>
>>16499918
I'm not writting an essay or something. I just made a bet with a friend whether I can use "show of power" or not. I just made the first sentence off the top of my head, so that you can get the context
>>
>>16499918
And yes, english is my second language
>>
>>16499800

Just in case you aren't trolling

Since the beginning of time, civilizations have been competing against each other by building tall structures. The height of these structures demonstrate the wealth and power of a country.
>>
>>16499800
>Since the beginning of times civilizations have been competing in who is going to build the tallest building. It is a show of power and wealth of a country
Lose the plural in time. Remove "in who is going to", change to "building the tallest building."
>>
>>16499830
>Put a comma after times
Unless he's writing a passage in a paragraph there is no need for it. As a topic sentence or a thesis statement it's better if your sentence is flowing without any stops and OP did good on this by not using commas.
>which one can build
>one
This isn't good advice for an essay. One is frowned upon. Especially in academic style texts.
>>
>>16500068
Any other changes proposed will be concerned with style and aesthethics. If you change what I wrote your sentence is grammatically correct.
>>
>>16499918
>Please tell me english is your second language because every post in this thread is better than the OP by miles
>constructions
Better? Lel, that's a false friend above friend. No native English speaker would use constructions to refer to buildings.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.