[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do some people give up their jobs to go backpacking?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: backpacking.jpg (1 MB, 1000x867) Image search: [Google]
backpacking.jpg
1 MB, 1000x867
If you give up a job, there is no guarantee that you will get it back. Today's job market is saturated with degree holders and the company will just hire someone else.
It's also expensive to go backpacking like this. Chances are these backpackers have to work in shitty jobs in coffee shops and retail. Surely their jobs back home are better? At least they can live with their parents/friends to cut expenses. Living on minimum wage is tough and living in a hostel full of strangers is also dangerous.
And what are they going to do when they return to their home country ?When a backpacker come back, a manager may frown upon how he gave up his job to go travelling as it's pretty unrealistic. What follows then? More backpacking? Working forever in retail? How can such people save enough money for retirement?
>>
>>16499110
Some people like different things.
>>
>>16499110
I've read once that people who invest in experiences rather than material things are happier. Hope this answers your question.
>>
Fucking hell! This is the Most Autistic post I've read in months.
>>
>>16499135
This is about as unrealistic as a person giving up a ful timr job to become a poet. He will starve.
>>16499140
But they can travel during their holidays too without giving up their jobs, no? It is impossible to live comfortably when you are living on minimum wage. The backpackers who work while travelling end up in minimum wage jobs where the bosss or manager is most likely impatient and bad-tempered. There are just as many bad bosses in other countries.
>>16499147
How? These backpackers are more irrational! They are the minority as most people have more common sense than to just ditch their jobs to go travel!
>>
I work as an engineer but usually spend 2 months a year backpacking/climbing.

I just use my PTO and leave for a two month span. Work and hobbies don't have to be mutually exclusive.
>>
>>16499181
This!
>>
>>16499110
>Why do some people give up their jobs to go backpacking?
There are two kinds of people who do this: the ones who read too much Sartre, and the ones who didn't read enough Sartre.

Either way ends up more or less the same. They're unhappy in their current situations, and hear the cliches about backpacking-as-adventure. They go off to "find themselves" by imitating what other people do. It's an older method of authenticity-through-mimesis: nowadays, most people who feel this urge just become hipsters instead. Same motive, easier execution.

>>16499181
This guy is different. He (she?) fits what he loves into his life, rather than upending his life to imitate what others have done.
>>
A couple years ago I quit my work as a laborer at a factory for a summer job coaching sailing camps across BC and the Yukon in northern Canada. I drove through forest fires, sailed the Pacific Coast, fucked a few women and had overall good adventures. I was also renting out my apartment back home, so when I came back after months of not paying rent, instead of looking for work I started off from home again the day after I got back and decided to backpack across the country. I had enough friends from my childhood that I knew at least one person to stay with per province, and I hitchhiked, rideshared, hopped trains, bussed, and sailed until I had my feet in the Atlantic Ocean 6 weeks after I left. Actually not just my feet, I went scuba diving and explored shipwrecks and seacaces off the coast of Newfoundland.

It was by far the greatest experience of my life and there's no way in hell you could tell me those 5 months would have been better spent working my ass off breathing in steel dust. Anyway when it was all over I came back home and finished my tickets and they hired me back welding within 2 weeks of my arrival back home,and if not I would have just finished my schooling and gotten another job anywhere. I stay at home on the west coast to look after my parents and to see my friends.
>>
>>16499426
You talking shit about my boy Sartre? I'll fight you irl
>>
>>16499448
You can afford to move out when you earn a min wage job? What the heck
>>
>>16499110
Why do some people have autistic sperg-outs because other people do things that don't effect them at all?
>>
>>16499461
>min wage

Implications. I make ~$15/hr. Not rock bottom but I'm not rolling in it either. I moved out when I was 18, like a man does, and have found my way. Not always easily but I find it. Sail coaching pays about 25/h.
>>
>>16499473
Do you have roomates/live in a rural.area?
Not OP but did you find that sailing job before moving there?
Am thinking about backpacking in another country that I have citizenship there before settling down there. Is that tough?
>>
>>16499110

Some people are just winners. Getting a job is super easy, what people don't understand is that their CV/resumes blow and make them look like crazy people. I just took 8 months off to dick around and then I got a job in HR for the NFL within days of deciding I needed to go back to work.
>>
Haha OP, you are really funny. You are the sort of person that just doesn't get how the world actually works. You talking about irrational choices is topkek

I can imagine you meeting someone who has a shitty job and little money but is super happy about their life and you just go shouting at them "HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU BE HAPPY COME ON IF YOU WORK HARDER THEN YOU WILL HAVE WAY MORE MONEY AND YOU CAN BUY ALL THESE COOL THINGS LMAO IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE FOR YOU TO BE HAPPY YOU DONT EVEN HAVE A NICE CAR OR DECENT CLOTHES I DONT GET IT"

Money matters very little, OP. You can't buy happiness and you can't buy love, neither can you buy friends. Going traveling - especially backpacking if one is into it - gives you moments that nothing else can give you. The beauty of nature, in a way that cannot be captured by cameras... Constantly meeting new people from different backgrounds, with all sorts of different viewpoints and perspectives, telling you all sorts of stories and ideas. Realizing where you priorities are, what your strengths are compared to your weaknesses; not being trapped in the fucking hamster wheel of habits... There are so many things in which traveling can let you grow as person. What you have seen, nobody can ever take away from you.

Of course I am not saying that everyone should be backpacking, or that it would make everyone happy. And obviously we all need money, we need resources to live a save and comfortable life and provide for the ones we love. Nevertheless, money should not be your main drive or goal in life. It just makes you greedy, selfish, ignorant, and ultimately sad and pathetic.

I guess you are from the United States, OP?
>>
>>16499475
>Do you have roomates/live in a rural.area?
Not at the time I did the trip. I do now, I've moved in with friends because apartments are a pile of dicks and houses are better.
>Not OP but did you find that sailing job before moving there?
I had the offer for the job about a month before I left. I had been sailing for almost a decade prior and had a few connections in the trade.
>Am thinking about backpacking in another country that I have citizenship there before settling down there. Is that tough?
Probably, you're gambling a lot there. Set yourself up with a job and place,just give yourself a little time as buffer before you start work so you can adventure around.
>>
>>16499478
Being in low-tier jobs when travelling is not winning
>>16499482
I am not American. Geez, most people have more common sense than to go backpacking.
>>
>>16499485
You paid for a flat in a rural area by yourself? Did you depend on your parents financially?
How can I find a job with limited connections though? Can I stay at a hostel? I do have some cash with me. I've heard of backpackers on working holiday visas who just find some random job after arriving in another country.
>>
>>16499515
Wasn't really rural, a small city on vancouver island. Cost me about 900 a month with bills. You can get jobs at hostels and sometimes they'll cover your stay if you work, but then you don't get any recreation if you just do that. Most hostels will require a hostelling international card. I used couchsurfer a lot, and tinder worked surprisingly well in new cities for a free bed for the night. If you wanna just land somewhere and get a job it's all gonna be grunt tier: dishwasher, server etc. And most will require you to have a fixed address for paperwork reasons. Do you have any skills and are you good at talking to new people? Can you tend a bar?
>>
>>16499523
How can I not find grunt tier jobs though?
Why didn't you just stay there and teach sailing forever?
Not really. I am an introvert and I don't drink. I have a degree, but I am underemployed right now so I am thinking about moving.
>>
>>16499515
>>16499523
Oh and no, I didn't depend on my parents. I started work soon as I left high shool and just crashed on a friends couch for the first month till I got my own place.
>>
>>16499529
>How can I not find grunt tier jobs though?
Be extremely good at making friends, make lots of them,and be extremely lucky enough to make the right ones that can get you a good job. That's your only bet without experience.
>Why didn't you just stay there and teach sailing forever?
Do you know how fucking cold the Yukon gets in the winter? Fuck teaching on arctic ice water.
>Not really. I am an introvert and I don't drink. I have a degree, but I am underemployed right now so I am thinking about moving.
What's your degree in/ current job?
>>
>>16499541
Isn't your current job not grunt tier? How did you find your current job?
I majored in Pharmacy yet I am working as a dispenser now.
>>
>>16499510
No one said anything about working while traveling
>>
>>16499544
Current job is a welder. I got my foot in the door with a good word to the boss from a friend that worked there. I put in 3 years of hard, back-breaking labour before scoring an apprenticeship and earning my tickets. None of it came easy and most weeks in those early years I worked about 60 hour weeks.
>>
>>16499544
Pharmacy? I have no idea what that could get you other than what you're already doing but some places hire based off of just having a degree. I don't have any post-secondary outside of trade tickets so I have no idea. You're gonna have to start from scratch as if you were 18 if you want to do something new.
>>
>>16499559
When your current job sounds pretty grunt-tier.
I think it is hard to secure a job when I am still living in another country though.
I understand that I have to start from scratch
>>
>>16499550
A lot of backpackers work while travelling though.
If they don't they will just waste a lot of money travelling.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.