[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it true that there is a shortage of Physics/Chemistry teachers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: physics.jpg (17 KB, 580x330) Image search: [Google]
physics.jpg
17 KB, 580x330
Is it true that there is a shortage of Physics/Chemistry teachers in the UK/US? If so, why are there Physics and Chemistry graduates working in Starbucks/unemployed in both countries?
>>
Dont know but there are nuclear engineers driving for uber.
dont know but do know most college students in past 2 decades chose business degrees to go work for wallstreet cuz thats where the $ was.
So brightest minds in the us were ised to do what?Yeah,fuck over everyone else and figure how to to make theft legal.Mensa,the new mob.
>>
>>16495971

Because being a teacher pays fuck all for the amount of work you do, and they'd want high paying STEM jobs.

Being a teacher is one of those jobs you have to want to do 100% or it'll destroy you
>>
>>16495989
Isn't doing research more stressful though? It's publish or perish. From what I know, there is huge competition for tenured professorship posts these days. Also, what about those with only a Bachelor degree working at Burger King/the pub? Scroll down and look at long tall the "bar work“ bar is in that graph: http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_physics.htm
>>
>>16495971
no
>>
>>16495971
i dont know. look up data yourself
>>
I thought STEM was supposed to guarantee you a high paying job right out of university that'll set you up for the rest of your life?
>>
Math and science teachers are in high demand in the US. You will need a credential.
>>
kus they lik coffe and pussy and pizza and shawarma and fallout 4 and macbook and usb
>>
File: fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg (6 KB, 364x107) Image search: [Google]
fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg
6 KB, 364x107
>>16497032
>>
I'm a chemistry teacher in the UK. Research was stressful but I enjoy teaching more, theres a better feeling of community between staff in the schools I've been in.

Yes there is a huge shortage of teachers in chemistry and physics especially. The training bursaries are good, £15-20k tax free.

However, teaching is backbreaking, there's a endless line of hoops to jump through and a lot of stupid admin and paperwork. Actually standing in front of a class of kids is about half the hours of the job I actually work, and it's the easy bit. The rest is planning, marking, answering and writing emails, chasing up disciplinary proceeding.

The pay isn't great given the actual hours worked, holidays are inflexible. You're comstantly expected to perform, even if you feel like shit you can't have a quiet day in an office and rake it easy, you've got to get up for all your lessons and perform on top form like usual. If it was easy the staff retention would be higher, but the stats are something like 50% of new teachers giving up after 2 years.

The most frustrating thing for me is that some kid acting up for a couple of minutes can cost you well over half hour later having to phone home, log a report, email relevant staff. That's why teachers get frustrated with some dick in the class that keeps acting up to be a clown.

On the other hand, it's a genuinely fulfilling job. If you can laugh at yourself and at the dumb shit kids do, and you like knowing that you can make a real impression on kids and improve their chances in life, then you can be a teacher. If you're doing it for the money you won't last a year.
>>
>>16497229
i thought most teachers hated their jobs
>>
>>16497229
>If you're doing it for the money you won't last a year.
Dunno, people will put up with a lot for the promise of a pension.
>>
>>16497229
>holidays are inflexible

Fucking this. Want to go on vacation? You have to go during peak season! Need to go to the dentist? LOL, wait for summer break!

I get ten sick days a year to use. I've been using then to go to interviews for other jobs.

The job is called teacher, but like guy up there said, teaching is only half the job, if even that much.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.