[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /adv/, I've run into a moral dilemma. My little sister
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: zdzis34.jpg (293 KB, 608x780) Image search: [Google]
zdzis34.jpg
293 KB, 608x780
Hi /adv/, I've run into a moral dilemma.

My little sister is in her final year of high school, but has been struggling with math since grade 9. We tried getting her a tutor, putting her in a smaller class and even tried a private school, but she still can't seem to do well (her highest mark was 60 in gr10). She excels in all her other subjects and I would hate to see her get rejected by good universities because of this.

She flunked gr 11 by a small margin, but the administration wouldn't bump it up for a pass so we put her into an online school. We have tried all that we can and I can tell she's working hard as well, but she still isn't grasping a lot of the concepts.

This online school allows you to take tests at your own pace and exams can be done with a proctor outside of school. I'm seriously considering writing all her tests for her and paying off an exam proctor to help her on her exam, but I'm not sure if doing this is gonna have an impact on her university life. Wat do?
>>
>>16494039
Anon, I don't want to be mean, but if she's too stupid to pass HS math, maybe she's not smart enough to deal with going to the university. I have hard time to believe she excels in other subject, as you cannot excel in physics or chemistry without knowing basic,HS level, math.
>>
>>16494039
Yeah, don't do that... It's probably illegal as well and if the uni ever finds out that she cheated her way to a high school degree then she could get kicked out of school.

Also, what are you planning to do when she takes math classes at college? Are you going to take her tests for her or something?

>>16494063
This. If she can't grasp basic high school math then there's no way she can cut it in the sciences as well.

Has she been tested for dyslexia?
>>
>>16494039
its not going to help in the long run. if she gets good marks from you taking her exams, but she cannot reproduce them herself in uni, she will fail calsses/waste tons of money
>>
Yeah not being able to do basic math is gonna be a deal breaker in uni, assuming she wants a degree that requires any math, which is all degrees. Fuck even basic certifications need math.
>>
>>16494039
Don't cheat the system.

But honestly, High school math isn't very hard.
If she can't deal with that she can't deal with university math.

Only useless degrees don't have at least one maths course. Stats is basically compulsory for every degree.
>>
>>16494039
As others pointed out, you would only be helping her in the short term by cheating. Unless you plan on helping her cheat all throughout her college years as well.

But, I like to play devils advocate sometimes, so I'll look at the flip side. First, what does she want to study in college? If she ACTUALLY does well in her other classes - which I find hard to believe since she flunked a grade and that doesn't happen from failing one class - then it's possible that she can go to college, be successful, and get a degree in a major that doesn't involve math.

Almost all of my friends who have degrees took little to no math at all in college. In fact, one of my friends got his Masters degree studying History and didn't take a single math class after High School. So yeah, it's possible, but this will only work if her problem is truly limited to just math.
>>
>>16494039
Also maybe she's not bad at maths, maybe she is just lazy as fuck.

I told my parents I was bad at maths in only because i was too lazy to actually study it and wanted to play video games.

pulled my socks up in grade 12 and l passed though because high school maths is a joke.

then finished a computer science degree. lol
>>
I don't understand how she could possibly do well in other areas, but not math. It is very basic instruction-following, and doesnt require any kind of critical thinking or analyzing whatsoever. You just repeat the steps the same way it was taught. If she's getting A's or even B's in other classes, she can get an A in math. Literally mildly retarded people can learn HS material if they study enough.

And don't do it for her for a number of reasons.
>>
>>16494039
Plenty of other Anons have pointed out why you shouldn't do it, but I'll just add this - what's the backup plan for when you try to buy off the proctor and he says no? The very first thing he's going to do is call the company and tell them you tried to bribe him, at which point they'll think "well, if she's desperate enough to try and cheat on the part that's supervised by a third party then she *must* have cheated on all the work she did at home", and that's perfectly reasonable grounds for them to not let her finish the course. All that time, effort, and money down the drain and she'll be no further forward than if she'd done nothing at all.
>>
>>16494039
Btw what major is your sister aiming?
Just try to aim something that doesn't require much maths.

My math was real bad and I was accepted in psychology.
>>
>>16494263
You're obviously someone who is good at math.

I can go through the instructions of how I was taught and get it all wrong/not grasp the concepts at all, and then when its test time (which is usually the only important part of math classes) I have no idea what I'm doing. Not every similar problem follows the formulas/instructions the exact same ways every time, either.

I wish I had a brother who wanted to cheat for me to get by.
>>
>>16494718
>Not every similar problem follows the formulas/instructions the exact same ways every time, either.
they do though, that's kind of the whole deal with math. it's not numbers fault you only learned part of what you needed to.
>>
Don't listen to these fucks OP.
I teach chemistry at a small college.
It's a pathetic place academically.
I have science majors who literally cannot add and subtract with single digit negative numbers.
That's sad, but that's the way it is nowadays.
You're sister's not going to Harvard, but she will survive at a small public school.
Depending on her major, she may only have to take one math course in college.
But these other posters are right in saying that she's not going to be an engineering major.
>>
>>16494757
>>16494757
M8, if she can't deal with HS level math there's no way she'll pass in-class tests even in a shitty university. Even if it's only one math-related course, she still has to be able to pass that, and she clearly won't be if she's on super-shitty level now. It's not worth the risk, really.

OP should sit her down and tutor her till she grasps basic concepts, and if that's above her, well. Walmart is always an option, not everybody has to have higher education.
>>
>>16494718
Did you even try desu? If you just memorize the concepts then there's no thinking involved... you just do it. Every single one of the problems they will give you in class follows the same rules they taught you. There's no guesswork. That is the entire point. It is very, very simple rote memorization. Left foot, right foot...
>You're obviously someone who is good at math.
I am terrible at math because I never studied or did homework in school. I would do all the worksheets in the last 2 weeks of classes and my teachers always let me slide thru.
>>
>>16494039
Actual educator here, if your sister struggles that badly in math and ONLY in math, it's very possible she would qualify as having a learning disability. Your best move is to have your parents have a meeting with your school's special education teacher as well as one or more of her math teachers.

Your problem is that your parents did the dumbass baby boomer thing and went "Our daughter's failing math? It must be the school's fault!" and pulled her out of the school. Private/charter schools are basically the wild west, who knows what legal protections she'll have now.

Basically, your best bet is to go groveling back to her public school and admit you guys were wrong and you want to work with them (Not that they're entirely innocent because if she's been failing math for this long, one of her teachers should have said something a long, long time ago).

tl;dr Don't cheat you cunt, act like an adult and work with everyone involved to solve the actual problem instead of looking for a magic solution.

Disclaimer: This advice is based on the American education system. If you're from somewhere else, I don't know what your laws are, but I would have to guess it would be something similar.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.