[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sobriety worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: tQOu1dd.jpg (178 KB, 660x842) Image search: [Google]
tQOu1dd.jpg
178 KB, 660x842
I've been dry from alcohol for almost 5 months now. Wasn't major alcoholic, but lost a job because I was drunk or hungover every day, and lost a relationship.

I've been going to AA since my sobriety date, and it's helped. Now, all I wanna do is go out and drink occasionally. Not anywhere near as much as I used to, but I'd still like to drink. I'll be moving across the US to go live with my sober father and his wife while I go to school. Any thoughts??
>>
Drug addict here. Had a problem with meth, binged regularly, then stopped, then decided to do it every once in awhile.

Worked at first, then I was in the exact same spot.

Thats just me though. Gl with the AA brainwashing unoriginal "youre a bad seed that needs god" pseudo science bullshit.

SMART recovery is better
>>
>>16488815
Define SMART recovery? I call my sponsor and other people in the program when I'm having a "bad" day, and I usually go do something for someone to take my mind off of it.
>>
>>16488800
Depends a lot on your self-esteem, OP.

If you need to drink for courage, you may end up getting shitfaced a lot.
>>
>>16488826
I used to drink to try and keep my mind off of killing myself, then I started drinking to kill my feelings, so...
>>
5 years sober. its worth it to stay sober imo. despite losing out on a lot of social stuff and having awkward moments where you tell people you dont drink and they get weird, i know its worth it for me.

personally, I know I can't drink without eventually slipping back into the habit, even if its a year down the road from that drink. the thing that keeps me not wanting to drink again is seeing people that STILL drink like they're in college 10 years later. weak pathetic bodies that get sick easily and ugly faces that are drooping and sagging. awful skin, especially with people that have been smoking too. id rather be sober than sickly, and I didn't realize how weak and pathetic drinking was making me until I had the distance and perspective I have now.

in the end its really your decision. I didn't do an AA program or any bullshit like that, this is something that I am doing just for me and because I value myself I have to respect my limits with alcohol. If you feel similarly, I'd say "don't do it!" but everyone is different. you really could be the guy that can just have an occasional drink.. but that guy isn't me or anyone else I know of that has lost a lot from drinking
>>
>>16488800
If you're drunk or hungover every day, doesn't that make you a major alcoholic? How much did you actually drink?

Dunno OP, seems like a slippery slope to me, going on what you've written.
>>
alcoholic means it's negatively impacting your life in some way. I know people who can slam 5-10 every single night and hold it together at work and during the day, but yes drinking that much every night would make you a functioning alcoholic at best
>>
>>16488800
First of all, good for you for getting and staying sober.

Second, please realize that, like any addiction, the inclination or desire for a drink will never completely go away. What will happen is that your ability to resist that temptation will grow, hopefully to the point where you can relax and count on it.

Meanwhile, find the AA in your new city and continue to use them.

Once again, congratulations.
>>
>>16488950
Sorry, OP here. Fell asleep. I used to drink two bottles of Jameson, half a bottle of Vikingfjord, and a couple beers.
>>
>>16488945
OP, here. I've heard all sorts of stuff about staying sober and all the other nonsense, but for some reason I like what you're saying. Maybe because it's not in a meeting and for some reason I trust people on 4chan?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.