[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are/were you in college? Why? Why not?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 11
File: 1448059372136.png (9 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1448059372136.png
9 KB, 750x750
Are/were you in college?

Why? Why not?
>>
>>16483985
I'm in college and studying Computer Science. I hate it and want to leave. I'm only doing it because it's what my entire family wants of me.
>>
First time i was too young and took stupid classes at a community college and lost interest/ dropped out.

Second time i did culinary school and absolutely loved it was doing amazingly, up until it started to fall apart and instructors were getting fired/ random substitutes hired who pretty much attacked and abused everybody and made every student hate one another. There were suddenly everyday threats from students of pouring boiling oil/ water/ burning other students they didnt like. Also a massive rat infestation, like feces all over the food we cooked with. I just started dreading it and couldnt take being called a fucking idiot and fucking useless in an expensive paid cooking course everyday. I've been scared away for now.
>>
>>16483985
>Are/were you in college?
no
>Why not?
crippling anxiety, so bad I'm too scared to even see a doctor.
>>
>>16483985
Did. Dropped out due to coping with anxiety by drinking.

Now I'm IT. It's not bad.

It's not a bad gig.
>>
>>16483993
Your life is yours to be enjoyed, not belonging to your family and pursuing their expectations to your own detriment.
>>
>>16484020
Thanks for this but I feel like if I make a stand i'll end up homeless. If I fail out i'll probably just leave with my laptop and be homeless for about a month.
>>
>>16483985
Yeah.

Because I good genetics, I'm fairly confident, have ambitions, want a normie life (wife kids), and a good paying job to support my family and fund my hobbies.
>>
What the fuck would happen if I dropped out?
>>
>>16483985
No and no.

>Why? Why not?
Because I tried to get into a good public one but didn't make it. Trying again this year, but instead of studying tirelessly I'm wasting the time I have to do it. I had a whole year to do so after I failed the first time, but now the first phase of the test is literally next Sunday.
>>
i was in college because i wanted to make tons of money
and now im not in college because i finished and make tons of money
>>
>>16484054
loser
>>
>>16484054
>Living the dream
Hopefully I will be there one day too anon.
>>
No.
Because I graduated.
>>
i leaved college because i realized that is actual shit and it doesn't really helps in real life , only if you make yourself use it for shitty work , like working in an office sucking dick and that shit , so i am just selling dope now . 10/10 would recommend to stop going to college right now
>>
>>16483985
No.
I was but dropped out because I was offered a position as co-founder of a start-up.
>>
was

left school to start first full time job

the company folded a year later and bounced paychecks to me

all my jobs since college have ended in bounced paychecks

everyone tells me just hop on the dole train and ride it for life

probably will
>>
File: flowa.png (4 KB, 257x249) Image search: [Google]
flowa.png
4 KB, 257x249
>>16483985
Yes
>Why?
My family fully supports me. I have demonstrated that I can do any job I put my mind to. They are paying but I am pitching in anyway. I like what I do and I'm really good at it.

Loneliness has been very distracting to me lately and has been preventing me from accomplishing the things I really want to work on, but at least my interest for what I'm studying is still there.
>>
>>16484086
Jesus anon, you're clearly not college material with grammar like that. Higher learning institutions are better off without you.
>>
>>16484096
>u shld have finished college then

Should have mentioned: this work was in my field of study and it ended because they all ceased making money.
>>
>>16484099
The fuck are you on about? Anon is a pretty cool fella
>>
>>16484097
What are you studying?
>>
>>16483985
>are you?
Yes
>why?
Because I wanted to. I wasn't ready to start working seriously and wanted to learn new things and eventually acquire a nice, interesting profession. My life would me much more shitty & biring without the University.
>>
>>16484089
>co-founder of a start-up
lol, ok zuckerberg.
>>
>>16484028
You're stupid, and setting yourself up for a lifetime of misery by slowly losing interest in your subject, dropping grades, and flunking out anyways with that much more debt. There are 5 of those exact threads every day on this board and none of them EVER take any advice. Or you'll graduate into a career you hate, and then you'll make one of those other cliché threads like "how do i kill self fast no pain pls"

You're young, healthy, and able. This is the time to take risks. Even if you end up homeless it's bad but not impossible by any means, there are tons of resources to help people out, shelters, churches, employment programs. I was homeless at age 24, and again at 25. I played my pennywhistle for money at an intersection and slept in my non-running car. I now have a solid job and career track, and I'll be going back to school next semester to learn something i actually like and have an awaiting job in. I wouldn't change a thing about it. Life's been a fucking adventure, even though i dropped out of college the first time around.

Shit i dont even know where I'm going with this.
>>
I am in college for Business Administration. Human Resources. Used to like it but fucking hate it because my teachers all suck ass. Every class I am in people are struggling to pass with a D. I am deoressed everyday and contemplate suicide at least once a day. Never gonna do it since I am not a beta faggot, but life just sucks. Want to get my stupid degree already so I can live actual life. Hate living with my parents too. The root of my depression starts there. It will be worth it in the end though. Sure is a slow fucking process though.
>>
>>16484106
Engineering
>>
>>16484112
I live in the bay area. Start-ups aren't unheard of around here, friend.
>>
>>16483985
Yes, I got an Associates Degree then got a job offer in what I thought was a very lucrative career field. I went to school because I was tired of working in the restaurant industry. Despite actually making pretty good money for not having an education. The hours were awful and the weekends were often stressful. Not to mention having too many responsibilities. Recession hit the industry I'm in currently hard this year so I'm trying to go back an get a Bachelors to possibly switch fields if it remains stagnant.

I prefer the job opportunities that having a degree opens up for you. I worked construction for awhile too and I could be making twice what I make now, and I consider my salary pretty good, but the work is very hard, the hours long, and it destroys your body. Plus it's really hot in the Texas pretty much year round.
>>
>>16484132
lol you sound like even more of an idiot now...

>durr i live in bay area
>start ups
>cofounder

bro, start-ups aren't something geographically inherent to the bay area. it's nationwide in america.
>>
>>16484113
I know i'm stupid but I'm just too scared to become homeless. Hopefully, I'll grow the cojones. Where do you think is the best place to become homeless in America and have a chance of getting an apartment from a minimum wage job?
>>
>>16484150
I'm just wondering why you're acting like start-ups are some unusual thing that only people like mark zuckerberg participate in.
>>
>>16484174
i never implied start ups were unusual or rare. what i did imply was that someone creating a start up thinks they're gonna be rich, like zuckerberg.

in reality, 80-90% of start-ups fail. and it's only the .0001% that actually strike it rich. don't ask for a citation. the first number is true. the second number i pulled out of my ass though. if you were any bit of a savvy business person you would already know the statistics and the risks involved in a start up.
>>
>>16484195
I never said I thought I was going to be rich though.
I'm not sure why you're assuming I didn't know the risks of working on a start-up when I decided to go for it (it was several years ago).
>>
>>16484089
why do people drop out if they were offered a start up position cant u just finish college while doing it?? and drop out once u get it going
>>
>go to university
>study civil engineering
>graduate
>offered job as mechanical engineer
>95k pa
>do it for 1.5 years
>raise my salary to 187k pa

Shits pretty much 50% hard work, 50% luck
>>
I graduated for two things graphic design and photography.

I am currently saving up to start my own business for wedding invites decorations and photography. Better money and experience than entry level graphic design job.

I want to in the future maybe go back for cgi on the side and freelance with that too.
>>
>>16484209
I already had experience in the field of work I was going to school for.
I didn't see the value or logic in putting myself into such a huge amount of debt for relatively little return when a decent opportunity presented itself to me.
I started programming when I was 11. I had worked for a couple different videogame studios while in high school. Taking a shot at the start-up was just a next step for me.
I've worked for some large companies but currently work with another startup and enjoy it a lot more than the stricter, more rigid structure of big corporations.
The downside is that some nice benefits go out the window when working with young start-ups (medical insurance/dental are the biggest) but I'm pretty much free to work around my own schedule for the most part.
>>
>>16484229
>rationalizing poor choices
>not having security
yeah, i'm so tied down by my 401k, health/dental benefits, weekends off, and 32 days of paid vacation per year. fuck all this structure.
>>
>>16483985

Was, bc i wasnt gonna be an auto worker like my parents.

I graduated with honors and work IT (for now)
>>
File: 1434154182980.png (151 KB, 421x500) Image search: [Google]
1434154182980.png
151 KB, 421x500
Yes I am, honestly, I feel as if I was just conditioned to come here, not of my own volition, but just because I've been raised and told "You gotta do well to get into college and get a good job!" I'm just conditioned by the American system of education to pay a shit load of money I won't be able to pay back to get a slightly better salary for a job that I don't know if I even want.

When I look at the majors list I'm not particularly interesting in anything, I'm only marginally interested in psychology so I decided to do that, but I'm not that enthusiastic about a career, I just want money. The only things I really want is to lift, play games, have a dog and a good car, and good job, I don't care much for a career.

Sometimes I think about joining the military, just because I would be doing a good service, get paid, gain reputation among the common man, as well as be a trained soldier, at least it would be more exciting than a desk job, but I don't know, I wonder if I'm man enough to join the marines and go kill people if I need to.
>>
Yes, because Engineering interests me and I'm fairly competent at it. I'd be lying if I said I didnt think about quitting and signing up for an apprenticeship at times though.

>>16484214
How important would you say getting a masters rather than a bachelor degree is?
>>
>>16484281
Joining the military for that free education program after service in your country seems like a great deal, too bad the numbers they'll require might get lowered since the peaceful times are near.

If you can bear to follow orders and do drills a lot, then go sign up. They train you to be trigger-ready, so killing people will be a bit more easier on you before you set out in the warzone.
>>
File: 1437104280922.jpg (7 KB, 249x223) Image search: [Google]
1437104280922.jpg
7 KB, 249x223
>>16483985
Family pressure.
>>
I'm in college because I have to do it to be a teacher.
>>
>>16483985
Been in for 6 years now. I stopped going to class because fuck this shit.
>>
>>16484607
So what the fuck are you doing then?
>>
>are you in college?

Yes

>Why?

Because I want to get a job in high energy physics and even if that doesn't work out I enjoy teaching people science and math.
>>
>>16484266
>poor choices
>making assumptions
>being this bitter about other people's preferences
>>
Parents desperately wanted me to go, told me they would pay for it

Im getting an art degree, because its what I actually want to do lol
>>
>>16484607
I don't understand, why are you still there if you hate it so much?
>>
>>16483985
1. can you avoid having a social life

2. can you avoid drugs (that you aren't perscribed)

3. can you dedicate in your later years of college atleast 6 hours a day to reading and working on textbooks

if you answered yes to all 3 then college is right for you otherwise find another way there's billions of people in the world who are surviving without a college degree
>>
>>16484741
If you can't do all three of those in college, then you're doing college wrong.
>>
>>16483985
No, because I'm 28.
>>
>>16484707
Traveling, part-time jobs, trying to make my media company successful, generally just enjoying my life.

>>16484724
I fell for the college gimmick. Not even the degree aspect, but the "you need this experience in order to be considered a well rounded person" shit. That's mostly what I wanted, just to enjoy myself but I never did. It was a contrived and boring experience.
>>
>>16484926
That doesn't explain why you're still there
>>
>>16484928
I'm pretty sure I've since been kicked out m8. Never said I was still dragging around campus or anything.
>>
I went to Imperial. It was pretty great honestly, I don't understand why anyone who has the opportunity wouldn't want to go to uni. Few years of screwing around and getting laid followed by a nice comfy job and a good life.
>>
>>16484931
So what you're saying is that you're not in college then.
>>
>>16485067
Well the OP says "were".

Nice try, shitdick. You won't be fooling me.

And I technically am since I never withdrew.
>>
Grabbing a BS in EECS because I fucking love it. Which is kind of ironic since my parents wanted me to do some arts shit.

Guess I'm just one of the lucky ones who have a passion in something that can actually turn into a non-shit career.

>muh mommy and daddy wants me to become doctor/lawyer/engineer but I wanna dance and write poems all day! woe is me! waaah

Toppest of keks.
>>
I double majored in Computer Science and Geomatics
I have minors in Bioinformatics, Russian, and Actuarial Science.
I'm a cu,ckhold
im fucked
i cant get job
>>
>>16485660
>Geomatics

Enjoy flipping burgers.
>>
>>16485675
STOP IT NOW
>>
>>16483985
Double majored in philosophy and japanese was going going to go to japan and try to live permanently.

Then I saw the realities of japan and how shit works over there... huge racists. people literally work themselves to death in office jobs. ridiculous corporate and work culture. but otherwise one of the most badass places ever... wtf happened with that work culture.

Then I also got a DWI and that ended studying abroad so I got a masters in business. Now I work at a bank doing shit that's philosophically cool as fuck but pragmatically boring and monotonous. Trying to get out atm.

I honestly can't tell if college was worth it yet. Huge debt. I could have gone to a state school for free. Hm.
>>
Not to hijack the thread, but I don't think this question is worth creating a new thread so I'll just ask here:

Throughout my entire school life, I have never been involved in any type of sport. I'm not an obese nerd, but I'm scrawny with no muscle. Would picking up a sport while getting in shape during college be a good idea?
>>
I'm currently on my way towards a BS in Psychology. I'm really looking forward to being able to start neuropsychology.

Depression runs in my family and autism seems to run in my step-family so I figured it was the right way to go. Plus, over here, there is a bit of a fuss about these trans kids not having enough emotional support so I was hoping to take advantage of that.

Would love to get a BS in physics or biology in later years but that's really up to how things are after uni since the government pays for most of my tuition.
>>
Was in college.
Had a psychotic break midway through my freshman year due to working 40 hours, 18 credits, grandfather dying on christmas + not being able to go home to see family because too poor.
Depression, hallucinations, mood swings, lay in bed for 3 months, crying at inappropriate times, drink 3+ bottles of clear liquor (vodka mostly) a week, end up at university psych ward after suicide attempt (threw myself in front of a bus, hohoho).
Decide to drop out to get my life together and figure shit out, diagnosed bipolar, adhd, generalized anxiety disorder, shit just got worse and worse, now I'm just slowly building myself up so I can go back to school and finish, I have 50 credits at my dream school, now I work 50 hours at two jobs making chump change (12/hr) to make ends meet. My medication just fucks with me. I hate this shit so much sometimes. I just want to finish my degree and do what I love. Everyone loves to tell me how much potential I have but nobody wants to help.
>>
>>16485683
grow up
>>
>>16485682
>Then I saw the realities of japan and how shit works over there... huge racists. people literally work themselves to death in office jobs. ridiculous corporate and work culture. but otherwise one of the most badass places ever... wtf happened with that work culture.

LOL WHAT DID YOU FUCKING EXPECT??

DID YOUR ENTIRE IMPRESSION OF JAPAN COME FROM ANIME OR SOMESHIT??

HAHAHHAHAHA

That is seriously fucking hilarious though.
>>
>>16485700
this
how the fuck do you major in it and not know anything about it
>>
File: flipping_burgers.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
flipping_burgers.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
>>16485679
>triggered
>>
>>16485711
what's so bad about my degrees
will i ever find a job
>>
>>16483985
Yes
>Why? Why not?
Because I want a job, and a life more than being a useless leech on society or a disappointment to myself.
>>
>>16485719
When it comes to CS, I'm convinced that the name of your institution really matters since CS curricula vary quite widely. Depending on where you get your degree from it could either mean you're a code monkey or essentially an applied mathematician. I'm sure employers know the difference.

It seems like what you've done throughout your career is to get as many credentials as possible, such as majors and minors, and that caused you to bust your ass for four years and now you're disapointed because you can't find a job to make up for it.

The truth is that none of those things matter as much as internships and experience. If you traded your geomatics, bioinformatics, Russian, and actuarial science degree for internships or at least project experience, I'm sure you would be in a much better place - in addition to working less hard rounding up those pieces of paper.

But seriously
>geomatics

dafuq?
>>
>>16485746

>bust my ass
what the fuck are you talking about?
I did these things because I enjoyed it
some people go to college more then for just looking for credentials
it's not a trade school
also
>not knowing what geomatics is
and I did get internships
>>
>>16483985
I'm in community college, going slowly... I'm about a year away from an associates tho. Working and going to school part time because my first gen American parents kicked me out at 18 "to understand the seriousness of the adult world like they had it" Even though they are pretty wealthy, have a 6 bedroom/4bath house all to themselves, that I apparently can't live in even if I contributed with rent/chores/etc.

I want to finish school, but since rent and bills are my priority, it's been harder. I envy those who have the help of their parents. I consider dropping out several times per semester to work more. But then I will be getting nowhere. I just want to be able to make enough to live semi-comfortably. I'd be cool with making just 30-40k a year. My living standards are low, I'm cheap. I don't need nice shit. But I only make 11k per year and it's barely enough to get by.
>>
>>16485695
What do you have against sports?
>>
>>16485771
why do you have to ask 4chan about this minor shit
are you not an adult
are you going to leave all decisions up to us
>>
>>16485749
Lol. Why the fuck are you acting so triggered then?

And if geomatics isn't a meme, how can you not get jobs in it?

>geomatics
Honestly you should probably remove that from your CV. It probably sounds like a stupid buzzword from a diploma mill to people in HR and probably won't do you any favors. Stick to simple shit like CS that everyone understands.

>it's not a trade school
Is that really the most flattering way you can describe your alma mater? If so I got bad news for you. People aren't exactly in a rush to hire someone just because he graduated from somewhere that "isn't a trade school".

But seriously having a CS degree from any mediocre institution will get you job offers easily on graduation. Fuck, I got some friends in VT and GT that are sitting on like 2 job offers after they graduate next semester.
>>
>>16485777
geomatics is a thing everyone understands
what are you talking about i was describing college in general
i dont understand you
>>
>>16485772
Just asking if you guys think it's a good idea. I don't know what to expect since I've haven't attended college yet.
>>
>>16485778
>geomatics
Oh jeez here we go again.
Nobody cares about geomatics man. It's essentially a field on the level of underwater basket weaving. There isn't even a single college ranking on geomatics programs. Mention geomatics to some guy on the street and he thinks of geography or geology or someshit.

>i dont understand you
English motherfucker. Do you speak it?

Maybe you should have trade in your Russian minor for an English one. Kek.
>>
>>16485791
what the hell dude
>>
>Are you in college?

Yes, this is my 5th semester learning English and Japanese as foreign languages + some subjects about business and law.

>Why?

I'm French and living in France. It's more advantageous for me to study rather than work right after high school because I'm so poor I don't have to pay a tuition and I get a scholarship. Anyway, finding a job where I live is incredibly difficult so I've got to do something that looks cool on my CV. Plus, I got to know some pretty cool people and I'm starting to have useful connections with teachers and members of the administration, so I'll get a job far more easily after this year.

As for why I've chosen this degree in particular, it's because I was only good in English in high school. Problem is, I'm terrible at oral exams and I've got a bunch of oral exams every few weeks. Japanese exams happen very often during the whole semester instead of during finals, so I've barely got enough time to study it.

College is too damn stressful for. And I've got some of the most incompetent teachers I've even seen, some of them are so bad that they have a shitty reputation in every universities of the country. I can't wait to get my degree and get the fuck out of here.
>>
File: flipping_burgers.jpg (64 KB, 300x212) Image search: [Google]
flipping_burgers.jpg
64 KB, 300x212
>>16485792
Grill's over there, dude.
>>
>>16485791
GEO
MATICS
Is my Major too. You're a god damn moron.
>>
>>16485803
i dont understand whats wrong with my degrees
>>
File: 1447710835234.jpg (447 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1447710835234.jpg
447 KB, 1080x1080
>>16485808
Maybe it has less to do with your degrees and more with the fact that you're retarded.
>>
>>16485801

Inalco ?
>>
>>16485804
If you've got a job with that degree, perhaps it would convince me that geomatics is a legit degree and the fault lies with the other guy for being able to find a job.
>>
>>16485815
you're the one shitting on my studies despite not posting what you study that's so great
i did what i enjoyed, why am i going to have so much trouble finding a job
>>
Yep.
To kill time.
>>
>>16485825
How is it possible to not know what Geomatics is?
>>
>>16485822
Nope, although I was told that it was the best option for Japanese when I was in high school. I'm too poor to go there anyway.
>>
>>16484266
32 paid days off? does that also include federal/company holidays?

That's like 6+ work weeks off a year, I'm jelly as fuck.
>>
File: 1447707965330.jpg (535 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1447707965330.jpg
535 KB, 1080x1080
>>16485826
>i did what i enjoyed, why am i going to have so much trouble finding a job

Yup confirmed for legit retarded. Like seriously, I say that not to insult you but help you. If you seriously believe that the world will bend over backwards to give you a job just because you studied something you enjoyed, you're in for a real shit awakening. Kek

>i like jacking off, so why wont anyone pay me?

The answer is that in the economy there isn't a demand for people who have jerking off as a skill. Hence the job outlook for people who jack off for a living is pretty low.

>i dont understand you
>what the hell dude

>>16485835
Are you a UKfag? A more familiar term to non-britbong ears would perhaps be surveying.

But seriously, even surveying sounds really retarded on a resume.

>so you've majored in surveying i see...
>like you go around asking people what color their underwear is or something?
>>
Studying legal, third year, already got a half time work with decent pay.
Things are looking bright and on top of it, I'm studying mediation as well.
>>
>>16485890

>there isn't economic demand for CS majors with a good background in geomatics, bioinformatics, actuarial science, and able to speak english spanish and russian

wow do you live in africa
>>
>>16485890
I'm not even in the UK dipshit, Geomatics is a really common word for it.
>>
>>16485887
Dude, EVERYONE in the European Union gets a month of paid vacation a YEAR as MINIMUM. This is mandatory, compulsory and not avoidable.
>>
>>16485905
Hey, it's not my fault you can't get a job or something. Don't point fingers at me bro. Considering the people who study nothing but CS on my floor are getting job offers left and right even before graduation, you must be doing something wrong.

>i can juggle three balls, suck five cocks and ride a unicycle at the same time... and balance a checkbook. why isn't anyone hiring me?
>>
>>16485923
why can't i get a job?
why do you keep saying that
>>
>>16485926
bcuz u dum my fren

>>16485917
So is geomatics some esoteric subset of geology? Or is it a subset of geography? Or is it something different entirely? Is it somehow related to kinematics?
>>
>>16485935
>tfw you will never be this retarded
>>
>>16485937
>tfw you will never have a degree nobody knows or gives a shit about
>>
>>16485942
Geomatics
Geological Informatics
figure it out
What good is your degree if you can't do such basic comprehension.
>>
File: 123123123123123123.jpg (11 KB, 209x241) Image search: [Google]
123123123123123123.jpg
11 KB, 209x241
Only few months left, then I have the all powerful bachelor of media (communication) degree
>>
>>16485945
What good is your degree if nobody knows what the fuck it is or gives a shit about it?

also
>thinking comprehension is forms a part of a degree and not a babby daycare center certificate
>>
>>16485975

But people do know what it is
>>
File: 1447729219760.jpg (19 KB, 409x389) Image search: [Google]
1447729219760.jpg
19 KB, 409x389
>>16485979
Well you're right. I guess you two in this thread technically count as "people".

Hahahah
>>
>>16483985
In college for Computer Science and Mathematics. It's honestly pretty easy. The hardest thing is really just maintaining the energy for 18 credit hours. Basically you just have to keep moving.

That being said I play Bassoon in Wind Ensemble, and that takes most of my energy and dedication. Between Applied Music (lessons , and wind ensemble I have 2 music credits. Those are the credits I spend the most time on.

Sometimes I find it astonishing how bad some of my fellow computer scientists are at math. Most of them complain about how hard calc 2 is. Many of them just seem like lazy fucks. Whenever we have to use recursion they all start bitching to the professor for some reason. IDK why recursion is such a problem for them, it's pretty much a necessary tool.

There's only about 4 people passing the class in my current CS class. The prof said he's curving the grade by 12% which takes my grade over 100%.

Computer Science is a hard field, but there really is no excuse for turning in incomplete projects with 2 week deadlines. There are multiple resources including the professor to help you as well.
>>
>>16485999
Illinois?
>>
>>16486003
Nah, but I live in an adjacent state.
>>
>>16486008
I was referring to the university rather than the state. Everything you've described really matches up closely after all.

I'd be surprised if kids in Math+CS here actually struggle with recursion and Calc 2, considering a lot of them start out with real analysis in freshman year.
>>
>>16486018

Oh. Yeah, I'm not sure why Calc 2 is such a stickler for people it seems around the US. I took the Calc BC exam in high school and had success with it, but I think my teacher was basically one of the best teacher I've ever had. It just felt very intuitive for me at least, same with calc 3.

I think the part that bothers me the most is that many of them say they won't use calculus in the future. Well they have to take an Engineering Probability/Statistics course, and all of it will come crashing back haha. I'm taking the actual Math Prob/Statistics and we use a great deal of calc.

Interestingly the graduating CS majors each semester is very low. I think there was only 4 CS graduates during the summer last year. I'm not sure if this is any different at state universities. But, I'm starting to see why the class of CS gets smaller and smaller.
>>
>>16486036
So you people graduate around 10 each year? What the fuck. What university is this I must know.
>>
>>16486043
https://www.evansville.edu/

This is the link to our school's page. I believe we are a much smaller school than most, but idk honestly.
>>
>>16486043
actually you want this page, it has graduate data
https://www.evansville.edu/majors/eecs/accreditationNumbers.cfm
>>
>>16483985
I'm in college for business and marketing. Recently realized it's not for me but I'm halfway so I'm probably going to stick. It has never been an option for me, you won't go anywhere here if you don't have a degree. I forced myself to go despite my huge social retardation and the exposure has helped a lot so no big regrets.
>>
I have a question. I'm >>16485801. I don't know much about American colleges (or even Anglo-Saxon colleges in general), how is it to study there?

From personal experience, people think college in France is easy because we barely have any workload, which isn't even true, and not all classes are mandatory. We're supposed to have almost all our tests during final exams, except for oral exams. This changed some years ago in my university so we have a lot more midterms than before. I personally hate it because I can't find enough time to study, do my assignments and projects, commute everyday, etc. Sometimes I have to wait a long time before going to the doctor for important things.

I've been told that American universities are much bigger, better equipped and that they had dorms right inside the campus, and that that was the reason why they're so expensive. I've also been told that you guys barely have lectures and tutorial classes/labs/whatever they're called because you're supposed to do almost everything on your own during your free time. Seems like it's more or less same as in France, but with much more free time than lectures. Is it true? Do you also choose a lot of your subjects/courses? I decided to study for one specific degree but we don't get to choose which specific subjects to study. I'm not sure I explained it well enough.
>>
>>16483985
Yes. Because I was never told there was another option. Things are better on the other side.
>>
I applied for electrics.

wasn't in school before nor did I have any interest in going cause I was growing weed and making some legit bux.
I figured I should do my damndest to be a respectible human from 2016 onwards.
>>
>>16485922
I'm American. Those vacation days include holidays. 160 hours are PTO and the rest, which is like 12 days, are holidays. Which comes out to like ~255 hours vacation. I just work at a good company that takes real good care of it's employees.
>>
>>16486098
You're me.

Oh and no, there's no jobs in marketing. You will have to do shit work to move up into a marketing position. No one in their right mind is going to hire some 22 year old for marketing unless it's dog work research. Going to college to become a survey monkey for 4 years isn't that much fun, and it pays poorly.
>>
I'm in college because I want to be. It doesn't hurt that it'll help me get a better job in the future. We'll see.
>>
>>16484009
The longer you wait to get help, the more you'll regret the lost time. Just go to the doctor. Be scared, but push through.
>>
>>16486277
You think so? From what I have seen there's a decent amount of jobs, not only in research but sales and related stuff which I could do too (at least where I am). Big companies usually come to my college for recruiting and most of them have marketing jobs. Not sure about the pay though, you may be right on that. Are you in marketing too?

I was thinking on changing my major to communications/media but I guess it's too late for that plus the pay seems to be low too and it turns me off.
>>
First try when i was 17, right after highschool. Computer science. I had to move to the other side of the country on my own and i was too shy to make friends there. Tl;dr i go depressed and my gpa got so bad thet kicked me out

Im 21 now and on my 2 year of Mechanical engineering.
Im pretty good with numbers and im enjoying it, but deep down im still a bit scared that this isnt what i wanted to do and i'll regret it someday.
>>
>>16486058
>>16486050
I see. My condolences.
>>
>>16484281
I feel really similarly.

I went to college out of HS because "thats what you do". It sucked and I hated it. Now I'm 6 years out of HS working in a fucking gas station and I think about blowing my brains out when I look at my job opportunities. The Navy has me ready to join on Tuesday but I'm scared shitless. They recognize my intelligence and are willing to train me in lucrative STEM fields for free. I was never the type of person to join the military now I'm 2 days away stressing the fuck out.
>>
>>16484049
Then get out of here and start don't try if you're not going to try hard if need be
>>
>>16487398
Don't fret my sweet, it will wear off in a week and you will fill right at home in the navy, just make sure you don't get posted on-ship positions because they're awful. You will meet a lot of great people, I wish you luck.
>>
>>16487418
Are you in? What's your rate? I'm not sure about the ship thing either. Thinking either CTN or nuke.
>>
>>16487418
how physically demanding was navy boot camp? Aside from that what was the worst part of your experience?
>>
Yea, I'm in it studying for Engineering and after I do that I'll probably do something completely different. I just wanna be like a documentary filmmaker or something. Anything to get people across the world's attention and to travel the world.
>>
I withdrew from community college after almost two years. I went there with the assumption that I would be transferring to a University after completing the majority of my credits but after I received an acceptance letter to the Uni I wanted to go to my parents told me that they had no intention of supporting me at any school besides the CC (which had nothing I was planning on majoring in). So without any goal or major in mind I shut down and spent hours in the school library reading instead of going to my classes.

I had been working part-time during this and I've been at the job for a few years now. I still haven't found anything I'm interested in, nobody responds to any applications I fill out and the jobs in the area I live in are few. I'm actually starting to get pretty scared about my future.
>>
Did. Comp sci. $60k job now. Bitchin.
>>
>>16484116
hey, if everyone's doing badly, then it's not that bad to do badly, it's about where you are in terms of percentile. Also, maybe take the edge off by socializing? Networking is pretty important for your major anyway
>>
File: 1441666323797.jpg (10 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1441666323797.jpg
10 KB, 320x240
>>16483985

yeah I'm in college, 4th year out of 4 2/3 years I got to do.

I came to college because it felt like it was the place were I would find myself after a shitty HS experience.

After my first year it seemed I was right, I felt like my life had purpose, I met a girl that liked me, my parents seemed pround of me.

Then in my 2nd year it all went to shit, I got into academic integrity issues, I failed 2 classes (the first 2 classes I ever failed), the girl who liked me stopped talking to me and I never got closure from her which continues to hunt me.

My 3rd year seemed like it would be better, I liked my new major, but halfway through the year I got into a deep bout of depression, I failed 2 classes again, got out of the major, and now I'm doing a major I don't care about at all.

My life has no direction once I'm done with the degree, a degree that I hate studying, I don't have many friends, I don't go out, my grades are shitty, and I won't drop out cause I don't want to have wasted 4 years of my life.

fml
>>
Ya I'm studying chemistry and this is my last year. I'm wondering if I should attend grad school for masters. I know I can get in, but I'm not sure if I can do it... I have very little confidence in myself and feel as an academic imposter. A lot of my peers say I am competent and this includes some of my professors. And I feel as an imposter because I forget most of the stuff Ive learned. Is it normal to forget stuff you've learned through your academic career? For instance, I forgot how to analyze complex splitting for H NMR even though I scored an A in that course...
>>
>>16483985
Yes. Pursuing a degree that won't help me with anything. I'm honestly not sure what I want to do with my life. Every field I consider requires more knowledge and experience to have a job in and I have no idea if I would enjoy it.
I have a part time job that I'm not gonna lose anytime soon, but I might quit when I move in with my gf as the commute would be hell.

I just legitimitely don't know what to do with my life. Nothing is bad right now,but if I don't make some decisions soon, it will get bad.
>>
>>16488153
If u wanna talk add my Kik its windfall
>>
Got through college with clinical depression and graduated with a BS in CS. I came dangerously close to flunking out both in my freshman year and my senior year. I actually had to take a summer course to get my degree.

But I had 3 years of internship experience which allowed me to have a job lined up after graduation, so I didn't give a fuck about college anymore in my senior year.
>>
>>16483985
No.

Because it doesn't make any sense to me to work as hard as I did in high school, work hard in college, and end up in tons of debt just so I can go and get a job to work for the benefit of someone else. If I'm going to work this hard, it's going to be for my own success, not my boss's.

I went for 3 semesters and didn't like it, my mother actually gave me the idea to "just drop out and Steve Jobs it". I own a business now and I couldn't be more excited about my life choices.

But remember, if you dropout, you still need to be educated, even if not in a traditional sense.
Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.