[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going to the US
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: KSzectF.png (67 KB, 1600x1122) Image search: [Google]
KSzectF.png
67 KB, 1600x1122
Hi /adv/,

Europe, Germany in my case, is slowly but steadily turning to crap. Shit may hit the fan within the next 5 years, but even if not, if there's no drastic change in the near future, this is not the country I want to raise my kids in.

My gf and to-be-wife and me talked about leaving Europe for the US. We both are German citizens and have no criminal record or anything. We both are Christian and have college degrees. We would like to live in a climate similar to ours, so we were thinking about the north eastern part of the US. In case we are leaving, we would like to get a job beforehand. We don't mind a rural area, but don't really want to live too far innawoods.

Where can I look for jobs, are there any well known sites on the web? Is the north east a region where I can find employment as a mechanical engineer (how's the job market there?) or are other regions better suited for this endeavour? Will we be accepted someday or will we always be the outsiders?

Thanks
>>
>>16483043
>north east a region

very crowded very expensive very liberal politically restrictive gun laws

north west not as crowded not as expensive still liberal looser gun laws

do an internet search for jobs boards plenty of them

if you can speak English well no problem with acceptance
>>
>>16483060
>if you can speak English well no problem with acceptance
dude can't work in the country legally or stay for more than a couple months, would that be a problem?
>>
>>16483060
OP here, thanks for your answer, with north east I meant Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and the like.

I don't care too much about gun laws, because in Germany I will probably never get one anyway. Being too liberal is a con though. Will look for job boards then thx, didn't know the term for that.
>>
How do you plan on becoming a US citizen? Or getting a green card?
>>
>>16483043
The south is probably where your ideals would be shared, go there
>>
You can always check out www.craigslist.com for job listing in the area you are interested in
>>
>>16483043
Assuming you speak English clearly (and even if you have a thick accent, likely), acceptance won't be an issue. Engineers are always in demand, so you shouldn't have a problem there, but being from another country you probably won't be able to get engineering jobs relating to government or military.

Northeast is generally more expensive and liberal. I personally wouldn't want to live there, but you might. I'm a big fan of North Carolina. It has four distinct seasons, mountains, beaches, nice people, good food, plenty of jobs.
>>
>>16483112
Oh, and I forgot, check indeed.com for jobs. It's the main site I use to search for listings.
>>
>>16483094
That seems difficult and complicated indeed. I'm currently reading into this.
>>16483099
Will check out, thx.
>>16483108
>>16483112
>>16483116
Thanks, I'll save those. The US are so fucking huge, even the smaller states are as big as my country.
>>
>>16483134
this is probably what you wanted to know about
>>
>>16483142
Haha, thanks.. A few hundred or thousand true refugees won't hurt anyone I guess.

But bringing a million practically non-skilled people with an alien culture and religion from Africa/the ME to your country that already has a strained social system is economic and cultural suicide in the name of democratic/liberal progress and moral self-exaltation.

The tension can be felt already today and will only worsen in the future.
>>
>>16483112
How would you see the chances to get a job in the US right after college? I'm recently studying electrical engineering and business in Germany, and I really would like to live and work in your country. The reasons are mainly congruent to OP, but I have to study 3 more years until I graduate. Has anybody a few hints for me? Everything I do (reading, watching movies, even my laptop) is already in English, I began to translate my engineering vocabulary into English so there should be no language barrier. Should I visit a summer school in the US for 2 months? I was already a few times there, but only for vacation...
>>
>>16483225
The South is where it's at, playa.
>>
On a related note, how americans feel about immigration like the op case? Someone looking to migrate legally for a job or investing on employment? Does it have a good acceptance?
>>
>>16483256
Yes
>>
>>16483256
As long as your not illegal or plan on wearing hijabs and arabic thawbs you'll be fine.
>>
>>16483225
You should look at the acceptance process online.
>>
>>16483225
>studying electrical engineering
Get your degree and you'll get a job easy. There are work related visas EB-3? that are easy to get once you have a job sponsor in the states. Germans are especially prized for their rigorous technical schools.
>>
>>16483256
Anybody that can speak English/is willing to learn English, and is willing to assimilate into the culture is wholly welcome.
>>
>>16483256
>Does it have a good acceptance
Very good. USA is a land of immigrants. Almost everybody has an immigrant friend.
>>
>>16483043
>north eastern part of the US
The problem there is that leftist politics are causing many of the good employers to leave the North East. Over the last 5 years, more than have of all of the countries engineer jobs were created in Texas. Utah and Idaho are also good, but the populations are smaller. All of the new automotive plants are in the South East.
>>
>>16483225
>Should I visit a summer school in the US for 2 months?
Most of the people my company (a laboratory) has hired did summer internships here. We really like to see how somebody works before we commit to hiring them full time. If the person is good, we will work to get a work visa.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.