[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Choosing a major
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 510x680) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 510x680
I'm really lost as to what major I should go for. I started on the pre-engineering track and planned on going into chemical engineering, but I'm starting to realize that I find absolute no interest in math & that I don't get any pleasure out of learning it. As for chemistry, I can't tell if I like it because I find the content because I find it interesting, or if it's because I've always been good at it. I've definitely never gone out of my way to learn any chemistry outside of what we have to know for classes though. My second option would be majoring in English. It's the one class that I would walk out of in high school and think to myself "wow, that was actually interesting." To me, humanity majors seem much more personally fulfilling than STEM majors do. Yet with an English majors comes the issue of finding a career & being able to financially support myself. As much as I'd like to tell myself that money doesn't matter, it does to a certain point. Any advice on what to do about my major? The longer I wait to switch, the more difficult it is to catch up. Also post favorite book.
>>
>>16481441
The thing with liberal arts is that while they're less likely to lead into one specific career line, the skills you learn are applicable in a broader range of jobs. It's not the degree that matters as such, it's what you do with it.
>>
File: Book.jpg (88 KB, 700x1080) Image search: [Google]
Book.jpg
88 KB, 700x1080
Study the humanities as a hobby, choose chemistry as your career major. Mind you it's always possible to find a great job in any major you choose, just that some are much more difficult to apply in the real world than others.
>>
>>16481448
this
>>
>>16481441

I originally intended to major in chemE but i ended up with a history major with minors in Scandinavian and Education.

To make a long story short if you dont enjoy it dont do it.
>>
>>16481479
>it's always possible to find a great job in any major you choose
You're an idiot.
>>
>>16481586
I'm actually fairly intelligent. Though if you're going to be a pedantic cocksucker and make the cut-off for 'great job' at 300k starting then you might need to shut your gob and think for a second.
>>
Do what you enjoy the most OP. You can easily support yourself on an English major through teaching careers.
>>
>>16481441
I work in HR for a big corporation.

One of the cruelest fallacies imposed on young people is the idea that you have to study a specific subject with the intention of getting a job in that subject, and that you can only get jobs in what you studied.

The facts are that - except for some technical areas (I'd rather have someone who studied medicine as my doctor) - almost all jobs are open to almost all majors.

We hire the person, not the transcript. WHAT you majored in is less important than THAT you majored in SOMETHING and saw it through. That tells us a lot about you as a person. We would much rather hire a good English major than a deadhead Business major.

In fact, humanities majors are often preferable . As you say, they're likely to be more well-rounded people. They also have transferable skills. Writing papers = writing reports. Being in discussion classes = brainstorming. Analytic reading = problem solving. And so on.

Besides, currently, so many kids have fallen for the "You have to major in STEM" myth that the market is flooded with STEM majors.
>>
>>16481479
>Wanting chem to be even more over saturated
>>
>>16481736

argued like someone with a liberal arts major.

lets make it simple for you. those with "technical degrees" can do "technical jobs" plus liberal arts degree jobs (such as HR). those without "technical degrees" can do liberal arts degree jobs (such as HR) and none of the "technical degree" jobs.

For someone who wants to keep their options open which is the best choice?
>>
>>16481615

Yea this anon is right, you can pay 15k+ for school and major in liberal arts and find an amazing job opportunity at walmart. I think they start at minimum wage! Major in whatever you want anon :), the world is your oyster
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.