[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was talking to some guys at work about the new fallout I do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5
File: 1441131470408.png (2 MB, 802x802) Image search: [Google]
1441131470408.png
2 MB, 802x802
I was talking to some guys at work about the new fallout I do not usually admit to others that gaming is a hobby of mine but I was really interested in their conversation. One of the guys called me a gamer girl which really frustrated me because I spend 20-60 hours a week when I am not working playing games. I told him that I do not want to be called that because gaming is a hobby of mine and that I want nothing to do with girls that call themselves that.

Should I just keep to myself again like I use to? It seems like people make assumptions as to what kind of games females like to play when I like to just play whatever game I enjoy. I had one of them hassle me the other day as to why I do not enjoy LoL and I told them that its too generic of a MOBA for me to enjoy and they responded with "oh you do not understand it?" And I told him yes I do understand LoL but if I had my choice of MOBAs it would not be LoL.
>>
but do you play as support?
>>
>>16480223
It sounds like you work with fags. Just tell people you game "sometimes" if it comes up. LoL is for plebs anyway, you shouldnt have to defend your decision not to play it
>>
>>16480245
I like to play assassin classes for stealth in any games I play. My weapon of choice is katars if I have the option.
>>
I'm not a girl so I don't have direct experience in your shoes, but how I would give myself advice.
>Should I just keep to myself again like I use to?
dont get insecure over being called a gamer girl.
>its too generic of a MOBA
these words are fighting words and sound like they're straight of /v/. Don't diss other's games that give them happiness. Just say it's not your cup of tea, you're super busy into xx game right now
>>
>>16480223

>btw im a girl :)
>>16480251
wow you're fucking awful
>>
>>16480254
I told them I did not like it so had to go with dick response. Usually do not care but they were trying to get me to play LoL with them and I said no I do not like that game and that is how it resulted as me being a dick.
>>
unfortanately we can't escape stereotypes

for example, on 4chan they have the sterotype that everyone is a kissless virgin

the solution is either to hide it or to not take people's opinions so seriously and laugh at it

trying hard to convince people that you do not fit the stereotype is not worth it imho
>>
>>16480266
>so had to go with dick response.
well, you didn't /have/ to go with it
>>
>>16480269
Oh well maybe they will give me free items so I can give to newbies.
>>
>>16480254
sounds like you play LoL. Let us all know when you finally turn 15 ;)
>>
>>16480254
>feelings:bad
>having opinions:bad
>Having taste:bad
>telling the truth: you guessed it, that's bad.
>>
>>16480282
insecurity over a label isn't something to be proud of. Own it.
having opinions is fine. But if you say "It's too generic of a MOBA" is going to end up pissing them off because from their perspective it's you telling them part of their life is lame. While that may be true, there's no point in pointing it out.

>>telling the truth: you guessed it, that's bad.
Well, yeah. They're not close friends
>>
>>16480281
>sounds like you play LoL.
I don't. Is it really a generic MOBA?
>>
>>16480301
Hi OP here not the Anon you are responding to but yes it is in my opinion at leadt. I really gave it a try. I use to play games competively when I was younger yet no matter what I tried the game did not feel fun. I get frustrated whenever people ask me about playing LoL because everytime I try to be polite about it after going back and forth of them bothering me about it and not taking my no thank you as a no I usually walk away or just do not respond but it is annoying after a while. I can bet money even after I made a snarky comment I will be asked when I go in tomrrow to play LoL.
>>
>>16480316
Least**
>>
>>16480316
I'll have to try it to get a better perspective, I've only tried a few MOBAs when friends tried to introduce them to me so I don't really have a good perspective on them.

>not taking my no thank you as a no
Oh well I can understand you getting pissed over that. Pushy people can be dicks.
>I can bet money even after I made a snarky comment I will be asked when I go in tomrrow to play LoL.
bitches. Some people do see humor in pushing peoples buttons, so showing anger might incite them to keep asking. But some are just pushy, and if you don't show anger they'll keep pushing.

That's tough, I wish I knew a 100% sure solution to get them to stop asking you.
>>
>>16480359
Next time I will just say yes and get it so I play so bad they will never ask me again.
>>
>>16480223

OP, do you know why gaming is seen as a male hobby?

Because up until recently IT WAS A MALE HOBBY.

Know what happened to guys who were into that shit?
Bullyin', alienation, social exclusion.

And to be honest, the biggest culprits of those, were women.

I'm not saying no woman played games back then, but I am saying that no woman admitted it or was open about that shit.

All of a sudden big bang and boom! nerd is the new cool. So, all the girls that played games and liked them got more open about it - same with girls who just wanted to be the new "cool".

The real issue is, particularly if you want to talk equality, men were punished for playing games while you ladies avoided it.

And you sit here now, still tryin' to avoid it.

It's a social problem, and it'll balance itself out. Eventually thing will get better for you, but until then, you have to suffer those things, just like pre-BBT nerdy guys did. It's very karmic.
>>
>>16480316
LoL fans are a shit. When the game was first gaining popularity, I knew this guy who would ask me every single day if I've played it yet for at least a couple of weeks.

But OP, in what way did you interject into their conversation? Because I've never had this problem in my life, but I also don't force myself into conversations without something meaningful to say. "Oh I love that game" isn't that meaningful. Answering someone's question is meaningful, and its an obvious sign of knowledge, so they can't really screw with me after that.

>I spend 20-60 hours a week when I am not working playing games
Don't brag. This is an obvious sign of a girl wanting attention for playing games. Any normal person would feel a little guilty if they had to estimate how many hours they spend on games. I do.

Stop trying to prove yourself at this point, honestly.
>>
>>16480371
I have been playing games since I was 4. I grew up in a male dominated house and I was a tomboy. In highschool I was in a gaming club and the magic the gathering club I was bullied for it even by my teachers. People get jumpy when you tell them you like games and that is why I have avoided talking to others about my hobby for a long time. It is starting slowly to become more socially acceptable than it was. I have never been against you guys I have always been waiting to have your back. I see how mean society is to men I have to little brothers.
>>
Don't speak about anything if you can't embrace the labels.
Let the casuals call you a gamer girl. Calmly turn down their advances to get you to play their shitty mobas, sandboxes, and aimless shooters.
You don't have the be easy mode fake gamer girl, you can be sophisticated and enjoy strategy puzzlers.
>>
>>16480387
Two*

>>16480386
The fallout part? They were talking about mods.
The LoL part? They asked me.

I am not bragging if I was bragging I would of posted a picture of my collection. I was explaining my level of interest.
>>
>>16480387

There are always exceptions, somewhat unfortunately. It'd be alot easier to hate an entire group if they are all bad.

My point is, to these guys, you're a threat. It's tribal mentality, and you look like you're from another tribe. A tribe that basically pushed them down. You're the enemy.

Again, it's gettin' better, however shit don't change in a day. Life aint a game and damage, even psychological, needs time to repair.

So, you get the same advice any man would get; man up and deal with it.
>>
>calls themselves "gamers"
>plays LoL
Don't make me laugh. LoL is the farmville of mobas.
>>
>>16480406
>to these guys, you're a threat.
+1 to this.
One reason you would be hated in any male dominated community, especially one where girls are typically mean to them for being nerds and awkward, is because you're a threat.
>>
>>16480406
Thanks m8 I will grow some balls figurely speaking of course. Godspeed.

>>16480389
Thanks you are prob the niciest tripfag on here. Sometimes you post bait threads but now you are pretty laid back keep up the good work.
>>
>>16480406
>>16480414
>a threat
lolwhat

Girls can look down on "fake" gamer girls too. I get excited if I think I have something in common with another girl until I find out that she just plays Mario Kart.
>>
>>16480409

if LoL is so easy then get to challenger

if you are really good at it, it won't take more than some weeks

but it doesn't work the way people think it does

people who play LoL only got to the top by playing it for many years

if you try to play LoL with me it would take you years to beat me, and i'm not trying to be cocky
>>
>>16480223
just don't be a pleb attention seeking whore who actually uses a computer to play on and you will ascend to master race, op.

That being said, there are so many fucking people that are so fucking retarded that they actually think they know what they're talking about, but are so mind blowingly ignorant that trying to correct them is useless. So you just be master race and address them as the plebs they are.
>>
>>16480419
A threat because they're so used to girls being dicks to them
>>
>>16480425
Brah, I've been playing mobas since wc3, was in the LoL beta, have the king koopa rammus skin, and there's nothing in the world that would compel me to play that kiddie shit again.
>>
>>16480223
Okay first, just straight up tell him LoL is trash and he is trash for playing it. Then talk about
other games you like to play. If you are into indie games this will be much easier to get
past. If you know a bit about lesser known titles they might back off from calling you
generic.
>>
>>16480522
> tell him LoL is trash and he is trash for playing it.
She basically already did.
>>
>>16480522
I like Shin megami tensei games the best.
>>
>>16480535
The way it was written

> and I told them that its too generic of a MOBA for me to enjoy

sounds a lot more passive than what I have in mind.
I think OP needs to assert some dominance in their faces. From personal experience, if
someone tries to bully you out of something you love, or call you less than them never back
down. And stay on the offensive until that bullshit stops.
>>
>>16480553
Calling them trash isn't dominance mate
>>
>>16480542
>Shin megami tensei
Don't know what this is but it looks cool. Next time you talk to them bring this up. Sounds like
they will not know of it either. Do you think you could explain decently what it is and why
you like it?
>>
>>16480223
OH GAWD. HURT FEELINGS.

It's our culture. We are mean. We make fun of others based on stereotypes. Laugh that shit off and get back to gaming and stop trying to make every little thing into some kind of social justice movement.
>>
Girl don't know shit about games no matter how long they play them. Its a hobby only for men
>>
>>16480223
>One of the guys called me a gamer girl which really frustrated me because I spend 20-60 hours a week when I am not working playing games. I told him that I do not want to be called that because gaming is a hobby of mine and that I want nothing to do with girls that call themselves that.
you sound like a total sperg
also fat

never engage us normies again
>>
>>16480589
Men don't know shit about murdering you no matter how long they attempt it. Its a hobby only for girls
>>
>>16480566
I have played over 8 shin megami tensei games at least once. My favourite is shin megami tensei nocturne. Yes I am very passionate about games but those I get very excited about they are a real challange and the common theme is rebuilding the world by your actions to affect the outcome and working along side demons. Atlus games are really good and really well thought through very creative plot and fun mechanics. The only atlus game I have ever played that I did not enjoy was concept 2 and that was because it was too generic and grindy had no real plot like the other games I have played by them. The only bad thing about SMT games is you have to have a good temper because they can be frustrating but what is the point to a game if it is not challanging?
>>
>>16480600
How are you on 4chan if you are a normie?
>>
>>16480631
I heard about it on Reddit
>>
>>16480640
Nice meme senpai
>>
>>16480646
What the fuck is this weeb shit I typed f a m
>>
>>16480654
first day on 4chan, candyass?
>>
>>16480631
There is a range of people on 4chan

At the lower end up the spectrum are spergs like OP, who genuinely care about their "gamer identity" and repeat /v/ shiptposting in public.
>>
Fallout 4 is a shitty game. If you play that kind of shit you might as well be the ''gamer gurrrrll''. It's no wonder people think you love LoL
>>
>>16480712
What current games do you believe are better than Fallout 4?
>>
>>16480656
Not nice Anon. I have been here since 2009. I do not really partake in memeing.
>>
>>16480726
Just any. This has not been a good year for vidya, but Fallout 4 is bottom of the barrel. Really talking about any games this year is embarrassing.
I enjoyed Binding of Isaac Afterbirth and I think Overwatch is looking like a good game, and even that is embarrassing to admit.
I've been mostly just playing CS GO and Recettear.
>>
>>16480656
>candyass

Those were the days man, glad to see an oldfag around here in /adv/, the newfag central.
>>
>>16480751
Fuck off roodypoo
>>
>>16480223
>talking about a series popular with uneducated casuals in public
You kinda brought this on yourself. I don't know what kind of deep, meaningful discussion you intended to have about Fallout 4 with a bunch of casual normies.
>>
File: 1447591542832.png (513 KB, 370x472) Image search: [Google]
1447591542832.png
513 KB, 370x472
>>16480755
Oh my god kill yourself you fucking videogame hipster!
>>
play deadly premonition
>>
>>16480757
>i've been here since the rock started cooking!
I remember when that was supposed to be ironic...
>>
File: a-retard-58372.jpg (116 KB, 573x572) Image search: [Google]
a-retard-58372.jpg
116 KB, 573x572
>>16480757
>using stupid terms like ''oldfag''
>to refer to some bullshit /b/ filter from a few years ago
>being proud of being an ignorant mongaloid
>>
>>16480640
>I heard about it on Reddit
Fuck off and never come back.
>>
File: unnamed (2).gif (155 KB, 311x366) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (2).gif
155 KB, 311x366
>>16480772
>>16480774
>>
>>16480763
Anon got that pic handy of a girl going to break the rules ms paint drawing of getting humped by a dog
>>
>>16480553
trying to assert dominance by attacking someone back just lower you to their level and make you look just as stupid

the best way to solve this is to rise above and recognize that they are speaking out of ignorance
>>
File: 1425723515638.png (66 KB, 160x249) Image search: [Google]
1425723515638.png
66 KB, 160x249
>>16480787
!! HE FELL FOR IT FUCKING GET HIM
>>
>>16480806
lol
>>
>>16480301
not OP but LoL is Babys first MOBA
>>
>>16480726
according to my eastern euro /v/ poster friend, the Witcher
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.