[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/, so I want to learn a language. I want to eventually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
Hey /adv/, so I want to learn a language. I want to eventually learn an Eastern language, probably Korean. Before that I think it'd be good to learn an easier language like French.
My only concern is, is French worth it?
>>
Define "worth it". What is it that you want from a langage you learn?
>>
>>16477474
It's super useful if you live in Europe, Africa, or Canada. Every language you learn to fluency makes it easier to learn another so it's a good place to start because it's fairly simple. It's a sexy language and a gateway to the other romance tongues. I'd argue that it is worth it.
>>
If you want to start with something simpler, go with Spanish. Useful, and easy.
>>
nah man, nobody speaks french. korean is where it's at. go for the gold: korean.
>>
>>16477474
Betting OP wants to learn a language just to impress girls.
>>
English is fucking fucked because our ancestors decided to drop all the bullshit other Euro languages have.

If you learn another Euro language you have to learn gendered nouns, and inflexions for both nouns and verbs.

Korean, thankfully, uses an Alphabet, that means they actually have letters that correspond to sounds. Chinese and other Asian ass languages use symbols for whole words. Korean is thankfully superior enough to construct words out of pieces and not write them wholesale.

Anyways, what I'm getting at is that the whole world is stupid except for us. English is the result of a 1000 year gangbang on a single Island. What happened was that all the stupid shit was dropped. The rest of the world never caught on. So we're here speaking an advanced language while they're burping and sputtering their bullshit.

That means if we want to learn their shit, it's like going up hill.
Honestly, you want probably learn French, if you have to learn anything. It's a Romantic language, so you got your foot in the door for like half of Europe.
And you have the pussies of the same women. They love an anglo who speaks their language.

If you're an American, you got Quebec. Women there are hot and they fuck any foreigner who speaks French.
>>
>>16477474
spanish and german are easier than french in that the similarity to english is greater, I certainly found german easier to pronounce than french. Even then, you have to put up with things like gendered nouns.
>>
>>16477656
French is harder to pronounce than German, but its grammar is easier.

German has much more inflexions than French. And it's vocabulary is much different.

There are three parts to every language.
Vocabulary.
Grammar.
Pronunciation.

2/3 is easier for French.
>>
>>16477587
(to anyone)
well I might want to use Korean for international business but this is long term, so could French be a 'gateway'?

also i realize French is easier but I'm asking if there are any uses, real pay offs for working hard to learn it.
>>
>>16477698
French is a better international language.
At least if you want to work in Europe.
Lingua Franca, and all that.

If you're an Amerikek, learning French will mean that you'll always have a good job in Quebec. They fucking love bilinguals there.

Great strip clubs too.
>>
>>16477705
Yes, I agree! But if in the long term I'm looking at living in South Korea. Would French be worth it then? Just even as a side?
>>
>>16477720
Koreans are xenophobic as hell.
If you want to live in South Korea, accept that you'll be a 2nd class citizen.

But if you just want to go there for a few years, get wasted every night and fuck tight Asian chicks, then go for it.

But you'll never be one of them. Not ever.

Korean at least has an alphabet. Hangul is easy as hell to learn.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.