[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Existential Crisis
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1441343459545.jpg (39 KB, 535x577) Image search: [Google]
1441343459545.jpg
39 KB, 535x577
I'm facing an existential crisis, /adv/. Why am I here? I mean, I understand how biologically we came to be, but what about ME, as in the consciousness? Isn't it absurd that I am fully self aware now, but in the future, I'll die and lose it all? Maybe, but it's certainly depressing as hell. I can't even call it depressing, because objectively, feelings don't matter since we'll all die anyway. The only reason I'm asking for advice is that I remember being happy at one point. I want to be distracted from the whole scary concept of mortality, preferably without hard drugs or alcohol. What do?
>>
maybe this point of view will help you a little bit:

people say that we are our brain, and that if we could somehow recreated our body the same way it is, we would regain life/consciousness

suppose that time and the universe is going to be infinite, that means that the future possibilities are infinite too

that means that by chance, in the future someone will be born with the exact characteristics that we have

would this person be us or someone else? what are we exactly? can we ever experience something other than being alive?
>>
>>16473628
That's interesting and all, but nonetheless, I know I exist (as my consciousness). I also know that as I am know with MY consciousness, nothing else will ever be ME in (for lack of a better term) conscious identity. I'm done.
>>
>>16473617

That's why religions have the concept of an afterlife, so our consciousness will live on.

Suffice it to say that parts of who you are will remain, parts will die when you do. It's something every living thing goes through in the bargain we got offered (life).
>>
>I believed in certain things before
>Now I believe different things
>Will I always believe these things?
No.
>>
Start with the greeks
>>
Read Prometheus Rising. It helps.

Find something to leave behind.
>>
>fully self aware

You know nothing jon snow
>>
>>16473617
>Started doing zen
>understood none of those questions make are important
>>
>>16473617
I wonder when humans became self aware. At what point in history? And why? Are there any humans that are less self aware? Are there humans who only act on instinct, literally like animals?
Maybe we're not self aware but we just think we are.
>>
>>16473617

Yep, it's completely absurd and whimsical

I don't know what the answer is but for now I'm starting to feel that the best thing to do is join or form a strong community and just enjoy myself by helping it thrive
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.