[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anybody here know anything here about the legality of sending
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: girl.jpg (275 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
girl.jpg
275 KB, 960x1280
Anybody here know anything here about the legality of sending negative emails?

I sent an email via an old email account wishing the founder of a new anti-privacy app would kill themselves or suffer a great illness in the near future. They emailed me back saying the police had traced my IP address and added it to their file, and not to email again or they'll press charges.

Am I fucked?

I don't think what I sent was technically a death threat since I didn't threaten anything. I realize it was edgy.
>>
Yes. We're on our way to you. You're going downtown!
>>
>>16472237
Seriously, I am someone who is prone to panicking and imagining the worst outcome will come true. Is it likely she's just bluffing? I mean I made sure to avoid saying anything like "I'm going to...."
>>
>>16472247
Prone to panic? Then you shouldn't start shit. You're a fool, but you're fine.
>>
>>16472254
How come I'm fine?

Also it seems many people hate this individual so I assume they know that. I assume the police don't have time for negative emails, and the reason I sent it is because they said in an interview that they take all criticism as feedback so it was sort of a "here's your feedback" email.
>>
You fucking idiot... Don't ever send people words containing bad hopes toward someone else. You'll probably get canned by the cops, and while your sitting in a jail cell you'll get sick and it will be a very bad sickness; you'll probably die.
>>
>>16472272
But surely that doesn't count as a threat? I said I hope they take their own life or become ill, not that someone would do something.
>>
>>16472280
What app was this. And they're just trying to scare you. You can get arrested for yelling someone, "I hope you take your own life." Holy shit, they are either the dumbest people for believing that, or your the dumbest person for believing that. They didn't track your ip through an email, this isn't the fucking FBI. The owner isn't James Bond; "Q, I need you to do one more favor for me," said James. "I need you to track this email that told me to kill myself, so that I can have the police arrest them." Continued, James. The person who owns that company is a fucking retard.
>>
>>16472291
You can't* get arrested for yelling at someone; sorry typo.
>>
He one up'd you. Good job; fucking kek.
>>
>>16472294
Jesus dude I appreciate you for correcting that.

It seems this person has contact with the police (I assume others have sent similar emails) and has some sort of file which they can refer to should anything happen to them or something. Thanks for the reassurance and yes I'm an idiot.
>>
>>16472265
Are you in the US?
>>
>>16472305
No, but the person I emailed is.
>>
>>16472303
If this person does get killed, attacked, etc, you will be investigated, since you sent a menacing email.

You can't actually get in trouble for sending the email, if it stated as you said, but you become a suspect if there is a problem.
>>
>>16472314
That sounds reasonable. Well let's hope nothing happens to them for my sake.
>>
>>16472307
Not sure which jurisdiction matters but I doubt the police give a shit, especially if it's international. What country are you in?
>>
>>16472307
You're not even in the same country as him. Good fucking game mate; great bait. He can't have you arrested; that's the biggest fucking joke.
>>
>>16472321
France

>>16472323
I'm not baiting. Or are you accusing them of baiting me?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.