[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Legitimate question. So I mumble. A lot. I am an entrepreneur
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1447728967278s.jpg (6 KB, 250x187) Image search: [Google]
1447728967278s.jpg
6 KB, 250x187
Legitimate question. So I mumble. A lot.

I am an entrepreneur and winter is here so things are going to be slow until spring when I can resume work and start my next venture.

I want to learn a language in the mean time, and I feel like French would be easier with my mumbling, but German would help with that, but be more difficult to learn. I am monolingual.

What do you think? Pic unrelated.
>>
>>16470468
Honestly? see a speech therapist to address the mumbling BEFORE you try to tackle a new language.
>>
>>16470468
Mumbling isn't a condition. It's a habit.

You can speak English without mumbling so long as you treat it as though speaking another language. Focus on each word, etc etc.
>>
>>16470478
>>16470475
Indeed, but the primary focus is learning a new language, I don't care TOO much about the mumbling, I can work on that.
I just need someone to flip a coin and come up with a good reason for the result so I can move forward kek
>>
>>16470506
If you're dead set on learning new languages, I guess I'll tell you what I know.

English is a special European language. It, due to being gangraped by so many invaders over so many years, has become simplified grammatically.

For example, we have lost inflexions for nouns. Almost all other European languages modify nouns to indicate context. We don't do that aside from indicating plurality or possession.
But in other languages like German, you need to modify nouns to show so many things.

That makes it very hard for us anglophones to learn other European languages.

There's also the issue of gendering. We don't gender nouns. European languages do. And it's totally arbitrary. Why is a table female? It doesn't matter, but if you say it wrong, people will look at you like a retard.

So prepare to learn shit that is against everything you know as an English speaker.

As for which language, I'm biased because I know French. It doesn't have noun inflexions (mostly) but it has a hell of a lot of verb conjugations. So many tenses. You have no memorize dozens of conjugations for every verb in order to speak properly.

If you're American, learning Spanish is probably best.
If you're a Britbong, French is probably best.
>>
No matter what language you pick, as long as you're a beginner, you won't be able to get away with mumbling. People will already have a hard time filtering out your accent and understanding your broken sentences, so you'll have to enunciate as clearly as possible.
>>
>>16470546
I think that's OP's point
>>
>>16470529
Thank you, this is the answer I've been looking for.

I've studied rudimentary French and I've seen the horror of gendered nouns, however for some reason I seems a little easier for Spanish (I am an Americunt btw) but I don't want to learn Spanish, I can communicate basic things with Spanish speaking people enough to get by where I live, it's where I don't live that I want to get in-depth in the future.

It will be difficult either way, such is learning a language, but I think by now I'm leaning toward German.
>>
>>16470564
Honestly, for usefulness, I'd say French (again biased).
The reason is that Germany is very difficult to get into (unless you're a Syrian refugee).
You're not likely to interact with many Germans, and you probably won't do German business.

So French. With French you can go up to Quebec (where I live) and you can go to France.
Everyone loves France.
Quebec may be a butthole, but we have great stripclubs.
Strippers love if you can speak French.

Learn French, come up to Montreal, get trashed.
>>
I need help! I love my girlfriend to death she is by far the closest thing I have had I could consider marrying down the road.

Regardless of how many times I tell her she is pretty and gorgeous and is always saying how ugly she looks and how big her nose is.

Every time this happens it makes me sad and angry that my comments don't change the way she thinks

Thanks!
>>
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 246x205) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10 KB, 246x205
>>16470582
Well when you put it that way. Fresh, dank, refugee memes, great stripclubs, get fucked up. Hmmm.
>>
>>16470592
Make your own thread nigger. And your problem is retarded btw
>>
>>16470592
OP here, what the fuck is this shit stain doing on a thread about language?

Advise me on that
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.