[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
dumb roommate shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1446227497991.jpg (327 KB, 1003x796) Image search: [Google]
1446227497991.jpg
327 KB, 1003x796
So two months into our one year lease the couple my GF and I signed the leased with broke up. Guy got dumped. The girl is moving out in a week or two. Currently everything is split in 4 ways. What do you think my GF and I should do? We can't keep her here even though her name is on the lease. Should we force the guy who is staying to pay her share or is that a shitty thing to do? If it makes any difference, it's a two bedroom and we occupy the larger room.
>>
What state do you live in? Laws vary.
>>
>>16470418
Generally if you're on the lease, you have to pay rent. Legally you can ask her for rent. If you don't want to deal with the hassle, then just split everything three ways unless you can find a roommate who's willing to share a room with the other guy
>>
>>16470425
MA. I'm not sure I want to go through the ordeal of forcing her to pay. Just wondering what is proper to have the guy who is staying pay.
>>
>>16470482
Thirds, naturally. You and your gf share a room, and presumably you'd share a room given the choice anyway. Bills etc. are obviously going to be shared in thirds, unless one of you uses a significantly larger amount
>>
>>16470418

I'd say put the ball in his court. If he doesn't bring it up on his own, just say "so how do you want to handle rent this month?"

The thing is, you're technically paying for space. You and your GF are splitting a room, he's got one all to himself. If he'd been single when he joined the apartment, I'm assuming he'd be paying half the rent.

But this is obviously an unexpected change, and already tough on him, so if money's tight, the decent thing would probably be to split things three ways until he can find a roommate
>>
>>16470418
>Should we force the guy who is staying to pay her share
No, it's not his responsibility. It's not your responsibility, either. The ex-girlfriend needs to know she is still responsible for her lease, and she needs to pay it.

Or if you want to pussy out, then split it three ways if you're super nice. Or yeah, be a dick and put it on the guy, but that's worse than going after the girl. So either go after the girl (who is legally responsible) or split it three ways to avoid a hassle.
>>
>>16470418

If you're pretty young (and forgive me, but it sounds like you might all be pretty young. Unfair assumption based on the drama level of the situation), think about trying to get her parents to put the pressure to her to pay. You were probably close enough friends to be on each other's fb, am I right? Scan the lease and email it to her mom, and tell her (or better yet, have your gf tell her) that you can't force your friend to fulfill the terms she signed her name to, but that if she doesn't, you and your gf soon won't be able to make the rent. Say how sympathetic you are to her situation, but that if she should walk out on her responsibility to you and the landlord, it really leaves you and your gf in the lurch.

Then watch as her parents demand she pay rent until *she* finds a new roommate for the flat.
>>
There are too many replies in this thread for not even having established whose names are inked on that lease.
>>
>>16470677
I think the fact that the other girl is on the lease is all we need to know regarding that
>>
>>16470682
More like the fact that I can't read is all we need to know. Carry on everyone, I have some remedial education to attend.
>>
Either force the girl to pay or split it 3rds. It would be shitty to put it all on him if you're unwilling to pursue the person actually responsible.
>>
>>16470482
You signed on to pay a quarter each. If you're prepared to raise that to a third each, fine. If not, it is his responsibility (legal and moral) to either pay half or find a fourth person.

You should not suffer financially (unless you want to) because his romance went sour.
>>
Thanks for the advice everyone. I fell asleep. A lot to brew on. BTW everyone's name is on the lease - all four people.
>>
By the way, in response to us being young and dramatic, we're all 25 and out of school. I carry mail and my girlfriend is a teacher. They had been dating for five years before this so it was a little unexpected to everyone including him. GF and I had been talking about raising our rent an arbitrary 5% each and third the utilities to help out. This would save him a bit over $100. He has yet to mention what he intends to pay or do.

My understanding of the law regarding this is that we are all responsible for the total. If we don't pay her part, it will effect all of us.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.