[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm thinking about dropping out of college. There are 4
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 600x403) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 600x403
I'm thinking about dropping out of college. There are 4 weeks left in the semester. I owe the school $7k. I've got very little money. My job pays me very little, and this whole situation is making me very depressed. I don't want to be here any longer. I can buy a one way bus ticket back home, or I can buy food for a week. Even if I don't drop out right now, I won't be able to return next semester. I think I'm just done with college. Has anyone else dropped out of college? Are you happy? Or is it better to sell your soul, get a degree, and hope for the best?
>>
>>16469307
Don't drop out now. Finish the semester since you've already paid/owe them money for it, then do it. That way, at least you'll have credits/points to show for it and you'll be able to go back when you can afford it or credit them to another degree if you choose to do something else. Also, if you have less than a year to go after this semester, then I reckon you just soldier on and get the degree
>>
>>16469313
Thanks Anon. This makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately I have 2 more years to go, so I probably won't be back for a while.
>>
>>16469387
>going to be a junior soon

Fucker, nows the time to start knocking down everybodys door for paid internships,

I just pray your lazy ass has some kind of portfolio/ work history or business contacts so you dont come up empty handed
>>
>>16469495
I have like a year of work experience in the food industry. And I don't want anything to do with that anymore so I'm just gonna keep looking for other jobs.

So there's no college dropouts on /adv/?
>>
>>16469609
Start applying to jobs that relate to your major.

The simple fact that you are going to school right now gets the employer thinking that you have the most up to date shit in your head - and that your head itself is screwed on tighter than most of the other deadbeat applicants.

Paid internship is ideal, but if you have to settle for a job - yeah just make sure it relates to your major.
>>
I also am thinking about dropping out. Not wanting to take on debt is part of it, but also because I haven't been doing well in my classes, like every semester. It feels like I'm wasting time when I could go get a job now and start saving. Anyone have advice?
>>
>>16469925
Going into a small amount of debt is fine if you have a stable job and savings behind it

If you are just all negative then take a break and save up or get grants/scholarships/work-study
>>
i like turtles
>>
>>16469925
OP here. I have a good GPA and I would totally take a loan, but I need a consigner with good credit and know nobody that could help me with that. Anyways, going to do what the other anon suggested, save more money, and hopefully come back another year. I'm only 21, I have lots of time.
>>
>>16469934
I guess I should give more details. It's likely I will be failing two classes, the other classes I'm taking should be okay, but this is a common occurrence for me so far. Every semester I get at least one D and it's gotten to the point where it's impossible for me to graduate on time. It's also been eating away at my mental health and self-esteem. Usually most costs are covered by grants, but it's not uncommon for me to need to take on a bit of debt. I feel like my degree will not get me a very good job unless I strive for a masters or higher, but I'm not prepared to take on the debt for one at all and I have worries about what schools would even accept me. Does this change your answer or should I just take a break and save a bit?
>>
>>16469954

That doesn't mean you should quit. It sounds like you need to try harder - go to tutoring services, work in study groups, spend less time fucking around on 4chan or whatever else you do as a time waster.

My friend graduated with like a 2.2gpa or some shit and he's averaged about $80,000 a year since graduation. It's not just about your grade, it's also about how you make use of what you have. You're going to be faced with shit waaaaay worse than college throughout your life, how are you going to deal with them?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.