[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>In 5th year of PhD program >shit is not going well at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5
File: 79.gif (998 KB, 350x206) Image search: [Google]
79.gif
998 KB, 350x206
>In 5th year of PhD program
>shit is not going well at all
> Boss let me take (or maybe talked me in to, idk anymore) projects that were/are really risky and they just have not panned out at all
>Other students who joined lab with me have already graduated (got a project that was basically half done) or have the go ahead to (boss gave him a defined project)

>Co-author on high tier publications and wrote a book chapter, but not first author so it doesn't help me graduate

>even worse my now wife moved up here after her masters and it took her 3 years to get a teaching job
>finally got a full time position
>all in all it probably is a difference in her earnings of about $120k pre-tax, loss of experience, pay raises, and retirement contributions

>Starting to think that I should just Master out and move on

The fuck should I do?
Why am I even asking about this here?
>>
File: engrish-lol6.jpg (44 KB, 600x469) Image search: [Google]
engrish-lol6.jpg
44 KB, 600x469
I went through much the same.
>>
>>16467218
what'd you do?
>>
File: american-splendor-1.jpg (120 KB, 400x527) Image search: [Google]
american-splendor-1.jpg
120 KB, 400x527
Anyway, what's the plan? What to move on to, in other words? Medical school?
>>
>>16467221
I finished, of course.
>>
>>16467226
No. I was thinking about trying to get a job as a patent agent/lawyer.

This is possibly the only thing that's keeping me from just taking a master's degree. I've heard it's hard for people in the biological sciences to get these types of jobs with anything but a PhD.
>>
>>16467230
Not that it got me a job. That's why I ask about the plan......
>>
File: Old_Shambles_in_1904.jpg (70 KB, 694x456) Image search: [Google]
Old_Shambles_in_1904.jpg
70 KB, 694x456
>>16467233
Ah, that's my plan. Patent Agent.

They only look at your coursework. Lotta classes with labs. Physics, ugh.
>>
>>16467242
they being potential employers? I've heard they will preferentially take PhDs to work for them because they can =/

I know the USPTO will only look at the classes you took to determine if you're eligible to sit for the test.

My wife and I at least have no debt right now, which is the only reason I'd consider law school (with a scholarship).
>>
So, I wish I had taken more undergrad and grad courses while getting the PhD. Statistics, Physics, Microbiology, etc.
>>
Honestly, you need to ask for a defined, planned project that will (very likely) pan out. Can you be straight with your PI? Or is he/she an ass? Either way ask for or wheedle your way into a project that gets you your PhD.

Do not "master out." You will regret it. You've already done the work, you just need that one successful project to get out of there.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.