[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Failed class because of attendance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 2
File: attendance.jpg (75 KB, 566x413) Image search: [Google]
attendance.jpg
75 KB, 566x413
Twelve weeks into one of my classes, professor decides he's going to fail me for attendance reasons. I've missed maybe 6-7 classes, but currently have an 85% B. He pretty much teaches straight from the book, which is evident in the fact that I've managed to maintain a respectable grade without showing up. Why does he think his lectures are so fucking important?!

Really not trying to retake this class...
>>
Lol you signed up for it. Either attend the class or drop it. It's not stupid that your professor is failing you for a lack of attendance, you're being stupid by not showing up when it was clearly established that attendance is mandatory.
>>
If attendance is in the syllabus you're fucked
if it isn't and you're passing the class without attending class you're managing time ideally. Go make an appointment with a counselor and explain the situation non-emotionally and rationally.
>>
>>16466258
>spend money
>don't do thing you spent money on

Yeah, the professor sure is the dumb one here. Enjoy your mediocre life if this is the level of responsibility you show already.
>>
>>16466258

Schools are required by law to drop you if you miss a certain percent of a class, depending on where you live.
>>
>classes are 1-3 hours
>can choose professor , day, time , frequency
>people STILL don't go
Fuck this generation man
>>
>>16466258
Because in life, showing up is the most important part of anything you do.

I've been promoted twice while people with several years more experience were let go because they couldn't make it in when they said they'd come. I work in a business where you can work from home, but when they said they'd be in the office and chose to work from home instead, while i was there early every day, the higher level people decided i had a better attitude and kept me and promoted me while others who were more qualified were let go.

You don't have to be the greatest worker, you just have to be dependable. Teacher is doing the right thing here imo
>>
OP here. So far all I've heard is...

>lol because syllabus says

Anyone have a logical reason why it makes sense to fail a student if they're doing well in the class? What is the purpose of these arbitrary rules?
>>
>>16466347
Back in my day, when we walked uphill both ways in the snow, I still didn't go to class now and again. It was based on being an adult (more or less) who could make decisions like that based on opportunity cost and the needs of my life. I'm very thankful to have had that amount of latitude. I was allowed to decide what was in my best interests. Occasionally that meant needing to be somewhere else.

I think the trouble is that schools are still in this habit, but more students don't quite understand why it's there and how it's used appropriately. Of course there have always been students who skipped tons of classes. That's been true since time immemorial. They're just being given freedom in an increasing absence of context and understanding about responsible use of that freedom. Great news for student loan issuers.
>>
>>16466377
Your grade is part of the overall degree (and distinctions thereof) which you receive from your school at the end of your studies. It's not a certification from the authors of the textbook that you've understood the material. It's a certification from the school, backed by its reputation, that they are confident in how well you've learned the coursework.

When you don't show up, they're taking the position that they're not comfortable putting their reputation behind your grade. They're not taking responsibility for your grade because they weren't responsible for your education.

I understand that you see holes in that position, like how the teacher has effectively been nothing more than a parrot. I'm just explaining the purpose of mandating attendance.
>>
>>16466377
Betcha didn't actually read the syllabus, did you? The attendance rules are the first thing I go to. The most classes usually ever give me are 6 absences.

Why couldn't you just show up? It's not hard. Are you fresh out of high school?

Also, did you try to politely, and civil-ly, argue your case with your professor?
>>
>>16466377
The reason doesn't matter. It can be totally arbitrary and he'd still be held accountable for doing it. That's life

Go ahead and bitch about it like a fucking child, won't change shit and will only deepen your anger and resentment
Also this
>>16466368
>>
>>16466386
>It's not a certification from the authors of the textbook that you've understood the material. It's a certification from the school, backed by its reputation, that they are confident in how well you've learned the coursework.

Aren't the tests given by teachers supposed to be their measure of learning the material? It seems if I have a B in the class, that would indicate I've learned the material to their standards.
>>
Tell your teacher you work a stressful job that leaves you too tired to attend class some days or suffer from depression or some other shell-shocker shit.

>tfw thought I was gonna fail English this semester b/c I hadn't attended class in 2 weeks but I still have a B
>tfw thought I would fail Art History because I ALWAYS skip and have a B and can get an A
>>
>>16466434
No, the tests are merely the tools by which that institution measures your success. The whole of the certification comes from "we taught him and we believe he learned."

If schools were nothing more than rubber stamps, they wouldn't be educational institutions. They would be certificate mills. That's not an institute of higher learning, it's a Kinko's.
>>
>>16466445
>The whole of the certification comes from "we taught him and we believe he learned."

Showing up and listening to their useless, pretentious babble somehow adds another layer of learning?

>If schools were nothing more than rubber stamps, they wouldn't be educational institutions. They would be certificate mills.

Where have you been? They are certificate mills. Most people attend college these days simply because white collar employers filter out the riff-raff with bachelor degrees. Many don't even care what the degree is, as long as you have it.
>>
>>16466258
If attendance is stated to be part of your grade in the syllabus, nothing you can do. If not, tell your professor to get bent and inform a higher authority figure.
>>
>>16466347
I don't go to classes where attendance is optional because I like to go to the gym and spend that time doing homework. I would gain nothing by attending, save for turning in assignments or exams.
>>
>>16466463
>Showing up and listening to their useless, pretentious babble
Again, I was explaining this in the general justification. If the lecture is useless and pretentious then that's a special circumstance. It's not a general truth about lectures, at least not as far as my education was concerned.

>They are certificate mills.
The fact that they're used by many that way doesn't change what they are. Literally, they are not certificate mills. They're not testing centers where you study on your own, arrive at a scheduled time to take an exam and then tick a box off of a list. I've taken a few such tests. The years I spent outside of those few days were very different.

There are lots of things which do operate under that testing regime like licensing exams and IT certs. I hold nothing against them. But a school is something different and one way it distinguishes itself is by adding more to the equation than "passed the exams, ticked the boxes." Mandatory attendance is the way to enforce that distinction, to prevent people from reducing education to a testing series.
>>
>>16466474
Are you that bad at proper time management
Christ
Most of the people in college really shouldn't be there
>>
You can give all the justification you want anon, but in the end you done fucked up. Use this as a lesson to show up to all of your classes, even if you feel it is a waste of time. Thems the breaks.
>>
>>16466498
Opportunity costs, bitch. I gain nothing by going to class, I gain free time by not going to class. Therefore it is an obvious choice not to go to class (when attendance is not mandatory)
>>
>>16466521
you talk like an autist
you act like an autist
but do you school like an autist?
>85%
No.
Go to class
>>
>>16466258
Sucks but mandatory attendance is mandatory. You painted yourself in a corner.
>>
>>16466527
Understandable confusion, but you're not arguing with OP (me). Gym guy is someone else.
>>
>>16466527
When did spending your time efficiently, in a way that benefits yourself most, become autistic?
>>
>>16466258
it's almost like it makes him look bad to his superiors if people with low attendance can ace his class.
>>
>>16466498
If being somewhere else benefits you more than attending class, how is that poor time management?
>>
>>16466579
Even though he could just be a better teacher instead of hiding his laziness behind a small but acceptable number of Fs.

What a terrible work ethic. I bet he's the kind of guy who skipped classes in college or something.
>>
>>16466578
Because you are in college, dumbass.They set the requirements for good grades. You need good grades to graduate. And once you enter the workforce after college, you have to do what your boss wants you to even if you feel it is "not an efficient use of your time". You can bring up your concerns, but they don't have to listen to you because they are your boss and you have to do your fucking job. College is your job right now and your professor is your boss.

Are you one of those people who always goes in through the "out" door just to fuck the rules?
>>
This is why syllabus's exist. If he's fucking you over and attendance is not on the syllabus, you go to his boss and get his ass fired.

if it is on the syllabus, you have to redo the class and read the syllabus next time.

I understand, some teachers really do waste your time.
>>
>>16466527
I'm the one you're responding to, and again not OP. I actually always get As in classes I skip and usually Bs (or rarely Cs) in all classes with forced attendance. It's like the professor thinks that so long as you just show up, you'll automatically learn and they (the professor) doesn't have to actually put any effort into teaching.
>>
>>16466588
>They set the requirements for good grades. You need good grades to graduate.

I have a B in the class and a 3.7 GPA, you fucking mongoloid cunt.
>>
>>16466584
or he's a guy who really enjoys research but isn't any good at teaching.
>>
>>16466599
>Ignored the rest of my post
You fucking mongoloid cunt.

See what I did thar?

And if you skipped all of your classes, and your school required you to attend your classes, you would not have that GPA.
>>
>Everyone in thread tells OP he's a dumbass and what happened to him is justified
>OP and one other poster continue to try to justify their laziness and retardation

Why do I come here.
>>
>>16466258
Its a respect thing. Just imagine being in his shoes. You want to teach and people dont care enough to show up. If he liked you I can bet he wouldn't be failing you.

Teachers like to feel important.
>>
>>16466612
which side are you on?
>>
>>16466605
Don't you go ruining my joke you fuddy duddy

I was saving that up for an hour
>>
>>16466612
>try to justify their laziness and retardation

Expending more time and energy than needed to achieve your desired grade is the definition of retarded. Go sit in class and be professor's bitch-boy. Sheep.
>>
>>16466629
And, pray tell, what will you do with your time when you enter the workforce?
>>
>>16466617
Not mine. I am apparently lazy and retarded.
>>
>>16466631
That's different. They're paying me. Therefor, it's in my best interest to go above and beyond.
>>
What exactly is your problem OP? If attendance is obligatory you attend fucking classes, it's simple as that. Nobody cares if you have better things to do or if the teacher is shitty. You don't make the rules here; deans and teachers decide whether you have to show up to classes or not. You've made your decision; you've enrolled to this course and fucked up by not attending. Now you are getting salty and yelling how pointless and unfair that is... But such is life, sometimes you'll have to suffer through tedious, pointless things. Crying about it now and throwing a hissy thing won't help you. We all may agree that you were right by not coming to classes and call your prof a dick, but will it change your position? Not at all. Let it be a lesson for you to do what you are suppose to do, not trying to weasel your way around.
>>
>>16466660
>We all may agree that you were right by not coming to classes and call your prof a dick

Really? Pretty sure maybe only one other guy agreed with me. Everyone else thinks I have the mental capacity of a shoe.
>>
>>16466673
You didn't understand my post so perhaps they are right.

What I'm trying to say is, no matter if we agree with you or not, you fucked yourself over and you are responsible for your fuck up. Alas, you are wrong. The fact that teacher sucks and you can learn material yourself doesn't mean that you don't have to attend classes. We all have attended utterly boring, unproductive classes. It's an unavoidable part of the experience. Be it middlr school or university - every single person had to deal with a shitty teacher. If you want to pass the course, you suck it up.

What makes you think you're a special snowflake?
>>
>>16466631
School is not the workforce. School is learning as much as you possibly can.
>>
>>16466984
Like learning how to not have such a retarded attitude when it comes to your precious time
>>
>>16466579
This is why colleges have slowly grown to tend to have mandatory attendance. So their school is more respectable.
>>
>>16466990
I'm sorry you're mad at that other poster for having a bad attitude, but if someone can ace a class without showing up, and use that time to study nuclear chemistry or w/e(but OP is probably skipping and watching tv so fuck him lel), then they are making the best use of their time while in school.

School is not the workforce unless you are going for an occupational ed degree.
>>
>retards ditch class and justify it by "I can still get an A, lol"
>grad school/decent jobs roll around and their professors don't want to write a rec letter for a literally who student
>>
Doesn't matter if the course is piss easy, you still have to show up once you hit your maximum of missed classes.
Here at my college, you can miss 5 classes. Any more than that and you will be automatically dropped from the course regardless of what your grade is unless you have a really good excuse.
I had a teacher like yours once too. A lot of people just sat in the back with their laptops and worked on other classwork.
>>
So this is one of those threads where OP evades responsibility for his actions, right?
>>
File: 1428985234376.jpg (19 KB, 618x416) Image search: [Google]
1428985234376.jpg
19 KB, 618x416
>>16467275
U no it bbgrl
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.