[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is it possible for a nonreligious person to date or even happily
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
is it possible for a nonreligious person to date or even happily marry a religious person?

I live in the bible belt and I'm a nonreligious 25 year old guy (I try not to use the term "atheist" because of the neckbeard connotation that comes along with it, although I am one). Obviously, the vast majority of women down here are religious to some degree. I live in a somewhat progressive area where people are starting to shy away from traditional lifestyles but most of the people I meet still follow in their parents' footsteps.

I met a girl the other day and she's great. She's cute, funny, has a good job and seems to have taken a liking to me. I'd like to get with her but I don't know how it would work. I'm not sure just how religious she is, I know she goes to church but I know a lot of folks who do that and are still not very conservative otherwise.

So what do you guys think? Is it a deal breaker? I hate to think that every decent girl I meet might not want to be with me because of my views on religion. I personally try not to judge people for what they believe. I really don't give a fuck as long as they're not trying to force it on me.

Also, moving isn't really an option right now so please don't suggest that. Maybe in a few years.
>>
Bump please

Also i want to say that im not really a relqious person but i belive god is watching us.

I belive a sinner and a non sinner might be a bad combination of marriage....

Idk
>>
Be expected for a secular relationship until you get into a fight, especially over issues that can be answered "god said so."

I had a semi-religious girl, but she's since been convinced that it's all just bullshit. She only believed it because of her parents, maybe she is the same.
>>
It all depends, man. Some people take it very seriously and wouldn't marry outside their religion, some aren't nearly so strict about it. Just pursue the girls you want, and see what happens.

How opposed would you be to "playing along?" Like, if you really fell in love with this girl, wanted to get married and start a family and all that, would it really be so hard to sit in church an hour a week and be polite, just for the sake of the family? That's pretty much what most of them are doing anyway
>>
I'm somewhat religious and the only thing that troubles me is the lack of tolerance. My past relationships were all with agnostic guy and all that bothered me is how they didn't respect that I believed in something, even though I hardly mentioned it - for them it only meant I was less available a day per a week, yet it's like they felt the need to shame me for it.
>>
>>16465074
I can't even believe that some people are gullible enough to believe in it. I wouldn't be with someone as gullible as you, personally.

>>16465061
That's depressing. You're essentially being keked by Jesus.
>>
My husband believes in God but I identify as non-religious, though I was raised Catholic. We don't go to church regularly or anything, but we have a bible, say grace before dinner, etc. We're just respectful of each other and it works for us.
>>
>>16465074
if they place Relationship above God, then you may be compatible.

if they place God above Relationship, then No.

there's plenty of fake Christians so it may work out for you. but a true Christian would never willingly become "yoked" to an unbeliever

The analogy of the yoke illustrates well why this is a horrible idea. It's not just because they're snooty or judgemental anon. It's because they're wise enough to understand why it's a bad idea
>>
>>16465061
>How opposed would you be to "playing along?"

it wouldn't bother me. I was technically raise catholic so I've been to church before. I would be willing to do it to appease her so long as she is willing to do the same for me.

>>16465074
that's shitty. If I cared enough about someone I would be more understanding than that.
>>
File: %22I see no God up here…%22.jpg (879 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
%22I see no God up here…%22.jpg
879 KB, 1920x1200
>>16464731
I'm agnostic (leaning towards atheist) and I would date someone who was religious.
I had a hard time dating a guy who was really intolerant of religions. Any time religion came up he would rant about how it was ridiculous that anyone could believe in a big man in the sky.
Over the course of our relationship I think he came to realize that people don't usually believe in a physical old man in the sky, but often believe in the spiritual connection between people or the underlying force in the universe, which is actually similar to what he believes in, though he never referred to it as "god". Now I think he's a lot more tolerant.
>>
>>16465239

yeah see I don't have a real issue with organized religion per se, but instead ignorant people who try to push it on others.
>>
>>16464731
I'm agnostic or non-militant atheist. I'd date a religious girl. If I clicked well with her, I'd also agree to marry her if she wanted that. I don't really care. If it means something to her, she can have her wedding.

If her family was intrusive about the religious stuff, I'd just stay away from them, but she'd have to accept that.
>>
>>16464731
>Is it a deal breaker?

we don't know

you need to talk to her about this and find out what she thinks
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.