[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My Little Brother
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Hi /adv/. This might not sound like something all-too urgent to take care of or even address, but I'd still like your opinion on what is currently going on in my life.

I'm eighteen years old and I don't really have much of a life or even a hobby outside of my own house. I just currently graduated high school in May of this year, but I'm not attending any colleges, I'm still living at home with my parents, and I am currently unemployed. Needless to say, I have very few, if any, friends that I'm lucky to see more than once every three to four months.

It may sound like I live a hollow, meaningless existence for someone my age, but oddly enough, the thing that gives me the most joy every day is picking my little five-year-old brother up from his bus stop. I always look forward to just walking up to his bus stop, waiting for his bus to come and drop him off, and watch him run off and try to hug me at the sidewalk before we'd hold hands and walk home while making small talk about how his day went and what he did at school.

(continued...)
>>
cont.

I mean, sure, he always has and even still does tend to annoy me at times with how much he misbehaves, taunts, talks back, and refuses to follow directions. Sometimes I'll snap and yell at him to quit until he stops dead in his tracks and cries out of fear, but it's at that moment where I, too, want to cry because of how much I've scared and hurt my little brother. Even at the end of the day, since I share my room with him, I'll look at his bed and feel a wave of emotion and pride at knowing that this little booger, with all of his flaws and bad habits, is a part of my life. It's like I almost know what it's like to be a father.

So, should I be caring this much over my little brother? After all, it's not like I'm his parent and since I'm moving out in less than a year, it's more than likely that I won't be a part of his life for that long. Is this a sign that I need to develop more of a life and extend that love to people other than my immediate family?
>>
>>16463417
First of all, how are you moving out with no job?

Second of all, I also have a little brother I love dearly. Maybe I feel more responsible and protective of him because I also fear of the neglect/possible abuse he would get from our mother if I WASN'T around.

But you know, you have to go off and do your life. But you should most definitely stay in his life. Try to be there for him, visit him frequently. Allow him to come visit you. Teach him things, show him new places and activities.

Even if you don't see each other that often over a few years, you will still be his 'cool older brother' and you'll be able to remain close forever. You can just pick up where you left off in a phone call or in person. Tell him how you'll always be just a phone call away.
>>
>>16463466
>First of all, how are you moving out with no job?
I mean, I'm also job hunting. I'm not trying to stay unemployed and just be a freeloader. Also, I have some friends of mine I'm moving out with and they're currently apartment hunting and accumulating enough money to support the three of us.
>Try to be there for him, visit him frequently. Allow him to come visit you.
The only problem with that is that the place I'm leaving to is a good eight-and-a-half hours away. Then again, if I'm a "cool" enough older brother, I could just make my visit to him something he could look forward to. Sounds like a good plan.

I want to at least keep in touch with him as much as possible.
>>
There is nothing wrong with how much you enjoy your little brother. You should enjoy that as much as possible and treasure it. But you should work on yourself too. Get a job, have a social life, stuff like that. You will always have a relationship with your brother and all but it will always be changing and you need to have other parts of your life. But there is nothing wrong with loving your brother and the time you spend with him.
>>
>>16463494

Do not under any circumstances move out until you have a reliable source of income.

You can also skype with your little brother after you move.
>>
>>16463494

Are you talking about moving 8 and a half hours away with no job lined up or money saved up? I'm confused. I don't think you sound like you're very good at planning. You shouldn't do that unless you have like 5k saved up to live on until you find a job.
>>
>>16463508
>>16463515
I'm not moving out until about mid 2016. By that time, I'll surely have a job and enough money saved up to move out.
>>
>>16463533

Hopefully. Well, don't do it unless you have that money to fall back on. Trust me. Even if it takes more time it is better to wait than to fail collossally. But with good luck hopefully you'll have the money.
>>
Your brother needs a role model a lot more than he needs a friend. Focus on improving yourself and maybe someday you'll be able to raise a kid of your own.
>>
>>16463417
i dont think thats a bad thing. the age difference between you and your little brother and me and my older brother is about the same, and my brothers a piece of shit, so it just probably makes me want you to treat him right more desu. be good to him anon
>>
>>16463502
This. The problem in your life is not your love for your brother, which is a very good thing, but the absence of anything else but that in your life. Picking him up after school should be great, but not the greatest thing in your day. Make yourself a life full of good moments like that, and let that be one of them.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.