[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Depressed people are whiners. C'mon let's face it,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 4
File: depres.jpg (7 KB, 214x235) Image search: [Google]
depres.jpg
7 KB, 214x235
Depressed people are whiners. C'mon let's face it, they never act on ANY advice you give them. They never listen to the basic solutions, but what is most depressing, they don't even TRY. We see a lot of these people on this board with their pessimistic attitudes and stories about how miserable they are. My poor feelings and I don't want to live in this world. Have you ever tried exercising for a bit? Does it make you feel better? Problem is they live and suck on negative energy. Brewing malicious thoughts that create more negativity and infecting people everywhere. Argue with them and they convince you your life is shit too. Don't let them get to you, they are everywhere, especially on a board like this. My advice to those depressing fucks is: get your shit together. Start eating healthy, exercise and get a goal in life, create a bright future for yourself and inspire others to do the same. We all have a reason to be here, appreciate it and make the most of it.
>>
This reads like an Onion article
>>
>>16458774
Ya, why don't they just get over it? It's all in their heads
>>
>>16458774
The problem with depressed people is that they lack motivation to do those things that would make them feel better because they are so miserable. You're stating the exact problem they have as a reason you are not helping them fix their issues.

It's like complaining that a deaf person never listens to you
>>
Depressed people spend too much time with themselves. They don't DO anything. They know they have no purpose and feel useless because they are. Everyone needs to be active. Depressed people will then say "hur dur no point, just avoiding reality" but they're the ones who want to kill themselves
>>
This is the most retarded post I've seen. But hey, atleast OP is good at something.
>>
>exercise 4-5 times a week, take part in charity runs etc
>eat well
>lots of hobbies, at a good university studying STEM

still a struggle almost daily, still wish i didn't exist. a lot of depressed people do have their shit together on the surface. depressed obese NEETs don't make up the whole picture
>>
Whinging about whingers? Well, nice one.
>>
I do exercise,and i did improve my life.
I got done with my college degree and i have a job now.

Things is, none of this really made anything better in the end.
I still get my occasional lows.

The only thing that got better is that im not as stressed out over life as i used to be.
The stress has been replaced with constantly thinking about my job, being axious that
im not living up to expectations, and well.. an overall numbness.

Time is just passing by, nothing is happening, im as lonely and phatetic as i've always been.
I live paycheck by paycheck, speding all my money on computers and videogames, rent, corporate lunches, gas for my car, stuff like that.
>>
>>16458835
so what are you depressed about?

You must have some subconscious thoughts or feelings not allowing you to be happy. Meditating and dig that up could help. Adopting new beliefs and you see a whole new world.
>>
>>16458874
Or it could be a physical chemical imbalance. The more you know
>>
>>16458810
It's not, a deaf person can't hear you. A depressed person can still exercise and eat healthy.
>>
>>16458874
Have you ever considered not talking out your ass about things you know nothing about?
>>
File: mad.gif (28 KB, 316x200) Image search: [Google]
mad.gif
28 KB, 316x200
>>16458896
Seems you have some anger issues, sir.

I was merely suggesting a protip to help you overcome depression.
>>
>>16458896
If we do not, for instance, have the root of hatred, nobody can make us angry,
for it is the root of our anger that reacts to somebody's actions or words or behavior.
If we are mindful, we will diligently use our wisdom to look into our own mind.
If we do not have hatred in us we will not be concerned when someone
points out our shortcomings. Rather, we will be thankful to the person who draws our
attention to our faults. We have to be extremely wise and mindful to thank the person
who explicates our faults so we will be able to tread the upward path toward improving
ourselves. We all have blind spots. The other person is our mirror for us to see our faults
with wisdom. We should consider the person who shows our shortcomings as one who
excavates a hidden treasure in us that we were unaware of. It is by knowing the existence
of our deficiencies that we can improve ourselves. Improving ourselves is the unswerving
path to the perfection which is our goal in life. Only by overcoming weaknesses can we
cultivate noble qualities hidden deep down in our subconscious mind. Before we try to
surmount our defects, we should know what they are.
>>
>>16458892
Some people with catatonic depression can't exercise, eat, or drink. I had a friend who had to be forcibly taken to hospital, and sustained via a drip.
>>
>>16458917
You can't overcome depression with meditation you stupid fuck. It's a biological disease. It's as fucking retarded as telling someone they can beat diabetes by just thinking positively. Anon is right, you have NO idea what you're taking about.
>>
>>16458774
>>16458917
>Starts a controversial thread on a board for people seeking advice
>States something anyone with experience/know someone who experienced depression would say is BS right away
>Proven wrong
>LOLUMADBRO?.jpg

Bait harder,faggot
>>
>>16458896
>>16458881
>falling for chemical imbalance meme
>>
>>16458874
i'm not depressed about anything in particular. there's things that make me unhappy that i can pinpoint easily, but depression is different to unhappiness. i work on the things i'm unhappy about but the feeling of being depressed is usually still in the back of my mind. if i don't actively force myself to do things i'd sink into the cliche view of depression pretty easily. i think a lot of it is to do with certain personality traits but they're harder to work on than subconscious thoughts.
>>
>>16459004
It's overly simplistic, but the cause is obviously biological. It couldn't be otherwise moods are created by brains after all.
>>
Op is fag
>>
>>16458993
Do you have any proof for these claims?

It's easy to say it's biological, genetic so it seems like a fixed issue you can do nothing about.
>>
>>16459014
Maybe write these depressive thoughts down and see how illogical or destructive they are.
>>
>>16458774
There are people who really need to seek professional help with their depression and it's not something you can just get over. However, it's true that a lot of people use depression as an excuse for their misery.
I feel like in serious cases, depression is the cause of people's misery. However, in other cases, depression is the EFFECT of the poor lifestyle choices made (ex. A neet who has no friends/job/education and complains about the lack of connection with the outside world despite the fact that he/she makes no attempt to change themselves). It upsets me to hear that both people with real problems and those who self-inflict their misery are clumped together in one category because this creates a misunderstanding about how depression is really like.
>>
>>16459044
>Do you have any proof for these claims?
You're the one making claims against the scientifically backed findings I think the burden of proof is on you.
>>
>>16459053

>its self inflicted
>therefore you deserve no help and are faking depression
wew, lad
>>
>>16459040
feeling> emotion > mood, so why is it obviously biological?
>>
>>16459060
Because those things are governed by brain chemistry and hormones which are biological
>>
>>16459060
Uh, that's all biological, they are all created by the physical functions of the brain, a biological organ.
>>
>>16459057
there's several hypotheses and depression is most likely a combination of several factors. op is wrong to insist it's not biological, and you're wrong to insist that it is. it's not one or the other.
>>
>>16459069
I'm not wrong. It is biological.
>>
>>16459067
What makes you think you can't change any of those things? Are you saying because it is biological it is fixed? Did you know people with multiple personality disorder can have diabetes as one person, yet not in the other? Even DNA changes. It's what you can do with your mind that set these things in motion.
>>
>>16459075
a part of the potential factors that cause depression could be biological. nobody really knows, not top scientists or top doctors and definitely not you.
>>
>>16459060
>Is depression biological?

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/depression/index.shtml
http://www.allaboutdepression.com/cau_02.html
https://well.wvu.edu/articles/the_biology_of_depression

Literally 30 seconds in Google.

On top of that, I am also depressed. Both sides of my family have depression as well so genetics definitely play a role.

As far as feeling better, it isn't something you can just shake off over a nap or funny video. Depression is something that in 1 form or another will come into play in your life every single day. Sometimes I feel average, other times I wanna kill myself right then and there and would do so if handed a gun.

It's something that never goes away. However, meds help treat it by numbing your mind to the point where you no longer wanna kill yourself/can somewhat function. The goal of this is to help you try and make a better life for yourself. But the problem with this is that most people never really get the chance to get in an environment where they can cope with their thoughts.

I consider myself very lucky that I am surrounded by friends and family who love and care for me very much. They help me get through the shit in my head.

However, while I was in the military (seriously NEVER join the military if you are/think you are depressed. The people suck and mental health knows jack shit what they are doing) I wanted to kill myself every single day. Getting out of bed was a laborious task every single morning. I was stuck in an environment where I didn't want to be. I hated it and wanted out, so trying to make "better life choices" wasn't going to do anything. You can call that self-inflicted if you like, but the fact remains I was in an environment filled with people who didn't share my interests and didn't take the time to try and understand what depression is.

Much like yourself
>>
>>16459095
Nobody was taking about the factors that cause it, we are talking about the condition itself you illiterate cunt. Stay out of conversations you can't even follow.
>>
>>16459102
>It's something that never goes away.

Now that is a belief. If you really think that you will always be depressed. Thoughts in your head lead to other thoughts. Meditation can help with this because you can observe and understand your thoughts. It might be something from your past or even something you inherited. That doesn't mean you can't fix it, you basically have to start to become someone else. You may not like that idea, but the truth is you ARE able to completely abandon depression. Whatever you repeat to yourself on a daily basis becomes your reality. Have you tried meditating? Do you know you just have to stick with it for years to come? You might not see benefits right away but you will get closer each and everyday.
>>
>>16458774
>implying depressed people want to fix things
Depression is a level deeper than the "trying to fix" stage.
We no longer want to live in a better world, no longer want to feel joy or happiness.

There's so many solutions to depression that it wouldn't exist if people *wanted* to fix it in the first place.
Guess what: we don't.

Visited a therapist once, and on my first visit she said "The first step is to acknowledge you have a problem"
I replied with "There isn't any" and left. Never turned back.

There's no will left in us, just hope.
We're ghosts.
>>
>>16459106
OP says it's not biological and depressed people are essentially lazy. other anons say it's biological. they are all factors that cause the condition. all i said it was a mix of both, and now suddenly i have no idea what i'm talking about and i'm illiterate? i know it's 4chan but jesus christ, stop being so angry when there's no need.
>>
>>16459125
Exactly you could say in some way you are addicted to the depression. It's like a husband beating his wife, yet she can't leave him. Why don't these people want to get help? They are used to the suffering and know nothing else, it is their habitual state of being. They have to work on it to change and get out of those states.
>>
>>16459125
Tone down the edge and you might have a point

Depression in itself isn't a problem, it's an emotion, clinical depression is a problem because it stops you from functioning
Same with any other emotion in excess
Healthy anxiety breeds caution
Healthy aggression breeds competitiveness, diligence
Healthy narcissism breeds confidence
Healthy depression breeds humility
>>
>>16459166
So... prevention is the answer.
You're on to something here.
>>
>>16459122
With some people, that can help. No doubt. For others, their situation is so bad that nothing helps. It differs from person to person...

> but the truth is you ARE able to completely abandon depression

So you had depression and have completely abandoned it? If so, pls share your story
>>
>>16459182
That's right. I don't know about anyone else here, but in my stereotypical case it didn't happen over night, but gradually over a period of years and could've easily been prevented. I know for many it DOES happen overnight, but if parents and schools kept an eye out for the obvious warning signs that would still help, rather than the denial that goes on today. Like my childhood friend whose mom suddenly died, he was clearly very depressed and didn't get any treatment (because it's normal to be depressed when someone close dies, but to what extent?) and so he slid down the spiral. I don't blame teachers, there's little they can do without going beyond their scope.

I definitely support school mental health screenings. I'm a conservative but it's too important. They already screen for vision, hearing, scoliosis, head lice, rare infectious diseases, etc. Mental health issues are common and life threatening. Several kids in every class will benefit. Early diagnosis saves lives. There's also no better way to destigmatize it. And the stigma is what keeps many from accepting their problems. Contrary to popular belief it's not just the outcasts who are affected. What better way than to show the cool kids need help too?
>>
>>16459063
>>16459067
>>16459102
What's the point of even being apart of these threads when there are people like this in them.

You guys, reductionism isn't the bigger picture. It's a reduction of it. What a fucking surprise.
>>
>>16459415
You don't understand that the institution of psychiatry as a whole is degradative to society. It has a instant gratification effect of relief but like anything of that nature it does more bad than good in the long run.

The idea of a mental illness is a social construct. There is in fact no such thing in reality. The only thing which is really actually there is the inability to deal with certain people to the point where we need to distance ourselves from them by defining them through distinction.

The basic formula in psychiatry is not 'this person has autism/schizophrenia, depression', rather, 'this person has autism/schizophrenia, depression
>and I don't'

That's how it works. And while it may provide some sort of provisional and temporary relief to a society, what it is is debt, and debt is never a good thing, for which case I cite Hume's 'Of Public Credit'. It always ends up ruining the thing it was intended to help. No one has ever truly recovered from debt. Once you come into debt, you have done nothing but signed your own delayed death sentence.

Now, let's put this into perspective. You're saying, rather than do the healthy thing of rejecting psychiatric institution of people, because it's a degradative and inherently indenting thing, we need to rather go the opposite way and let it subsume all of society, even those who need it least.

Wake up to your self-annihilating tendencies or partake as accessory to the fall of mankind.
>>
>>16459461
>In this moment I am euphoric
>>
>>16459462
>I am become damage control, destroyer of my own penis
>>
>>16459465
M'lady
>>
>>16459480
Take it back to reddit with your noodle dick memes stupid nigger.
>>
>>16459487
And you will know my true rage when I crush you with my superior intellect and impenetrable logic!
>>
>>16459492
>trying to denounce a philosopher by associating him with a bunch of mouth breathing, obese, Godless, emotional retards.

CHANGE IS SCARY.

BIG WORDS TAKE ME OUT OF MY COMFORT ZONE.
>>
>>16459500
Heh I really got this guy. All my friends at magic tomorrow will be so impressed. I wonder if I should play my new green deck...
>>
>>16459510
>Heh
I'm glad you accept defeat in the same way your woman accepts my cock sliding in and out of her throat.
>>
>>16459517
There's no way he'll know that I've never actually touched a woman as long as I make it sound like I fuck girls often and use his girlfriend in my insult. Ha yeah this guy is fucking toast. I think I will play that green deck. Greg won't even see it coming...
>>
>>16459529
translation
>there's no way he'll know I don't have a girlfriend if I imply that I do

Get bent manlet.
>>
>>16459529
Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt! >>16459517
>>
>>16459536
I know manlet is a buzzword but if I use it then that guy is bound to be upset. This guy doesn't even stand a chance. I'm so fucking smart it's amazing. Maybe after I beat Greg a few times we can chat about various philosophies
>>
>>16459545
Okay manlet.

>philosophy is anywhere near being on par with some faggy nerd card game
t. major in cocksucking
>>
>>16459552
Yeah I'll use it one more time to really show him. I'm gonna screenshot this thread to show my MTG forum buddies. They're gonna love it. Oh, shoot... My cat clawed up my fedora! Fuck. Damn it Mittens! Mom! I'm adding a new fedora to my Christmas list!
>>
>>16459563
Lol get bent you aspie fuck.
>>
>>16459568
Aannnd one last post before I gotta scoot off to play Magic with Greg. Aspie... Fuck. Yeah, that looks good. Eat that, dick! What am I gonna wear for hat though? My top hat would be too much so... I guess I'll just have to rock the trench coat. Mom! I'm leaving! Can you give me a ride to Gregs?
>>
>>16458774
While you are very harsh and insensitive I agree to an extent. "Avoid the unhappy and unlucky, negativity rubs off". I was heavily depressed to the point of suicidal thoughts. It took a while but I managed to change my mind state and now I'm the complete opposite. Try to help for a bit but if they refuse to try then drop them. How much you care about the person determines how long you try. But honestly I would drop a friend if they refused to change something and stayed a depressed fuck all the time. I have my own life to live without you bringing everything down. Never set yourself on fire to keep others warm. It took a long time as a soft cock go get this through my head.
>>
File: 1446868590831.png (901 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
1446868590831.png
901 KB, 690x460
>>16459575
You can't honestly be trying to pull of sounding deliberately cringeworthy right now.

This is what confusion looks like. What failure looks like. "but I thought I was supposed to be mr. cool guy who shows the euphoric dork mcbigwerd his place". Turns out you're just an aspie.

AND THAT'S THE WAY IT GOES
>>
>>16459595
You realize that I've been mocking you this whole time right? I'm not even being clever or subtle about it.
>>
>>16459608
OHOHO YOU HAVE?

WOW, DRAKE, DID YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS?
>>
>>16459616
>acts like he knew the whole time
Lol
>>
>>16459620
When I said deliberately cringeworthy I was saying the way you were mocking me was so weak and failed that I'm basically giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you're trying out some sort of confused, bizarre type of self-deprecating irony.

But you weren't even doing that. You're literally just some asperger faggot on /adv/, which is why you're so touchy about any sort of remotely intellectual sounding response, and goddammit sometimes I forget this board is 90% people like you.

Grow up spergerking. Seriously man. Grow up a little mentally.
>>
>>16459633
>In this moment I am euphoric
>>
File: 1444957972224.jpg (23 KB, 463x521) Image search: [Google]
1444957972224.jpg
23 KB, 463x521
>>16459638
>>
>>16459647
:^) Please keep acting like a sperged out fedora. You're making my work day go by faster.
>>
>>16458774
why do you even care?
>>
>>16459655
Please keep responding so I can watch you continually try but fail.
>>
>>16459688
Sure thing pal. What else can I post to make you sperg out? Hmmm... I'm sure I'll think of something.
>>
>>16459402
Yes, focus on your own thoughts and really observe them. Your awareness of this alone can help, but changing your beliefs might be better.

I felt depressed because I saw no way out, whatever I did, nothing seems to be working. Focusing on this result and wanting a cure as fast as possible was not helpful and this thinking got me depressed.

So yes, you can abandon it if you actively work on it and are willing to change yourself.
>>
>>16459699
Lol I straight up ruined your day.
>>
>>16459714
Oh sorry, I got distracted with work. Um, yeah sure. My day is fucking wrecked. Are you going to reward yourself with a shiny new fedora?
>>
OH SORRY, I GOT DISTRACTED WITH WORK.

UM, YEAH SURE.
>>
>>16459750
Yessssssssss let the sperg flow young fedora.
>>
>>16459753
That's really sad how I used that word and you're desperate enough to just mimic me like that?

Need a taste of my cock too I bet.
>>
>>16459764
Yes, feed on your self fellation. Embrace the awkwardness. Harness the power of the sperglord. You are powerful, young fedora.
>>
>>16459770
You lose.
>>
>>16458774
I think there's different types, some just don't realise what they've done to themselves psychologically.
Others like you describe are defensive and lash out, no one talks to those people.
>>
>>16459785
Yes! Fellate more! Feel your ego grow... Use that smugness to smite your enemies. Now go, your fated game of Magic awaits.
>>
Copypasta incoming 1/2:

It is rational. Quick explanation of rationality: It's the straightest/shortest line from A to B, that is, where you are and a goal you want to achieve or value you want to realize. You can always ask yourself whether that goal is rational in itself to chase after, but only in relation to a more fundamental goal or value. In the end, if you keep asking questioning the rationality of your desires and values, you will reach your moral bedrock.

In any case, what you have to understand is that depression (among other causes for suicidal thoughts) changes you values. You no longer ask yourself "What will I live for?" because everything feels meaningless. Yeah, no shit you say, but it's one thing to know it, to grasp it logically, another thing to really feel it in the core of your soul.

This changes everything. You may notice how people often say to people with depression that they just need to "get their shit together". It's folly, because toward someone with depression, this doesn't even miss the mark, it's shooting in the opposite direction. The reason is that people with depression don't find reasons to live, therefore they don't have a reason to get it together. You can all see the logic here? What's the point of enduring pain for no reason?

In our daily lives, we all feel meaning, even though we might know that it's for nothing in the end (because nihilism). You fight for your friends, your children, for a happy future, for a greater cause or for an awesome new stereo you want to buy. You might know that life is pointless, but few of us really feel that it is. This is the distinction between depression and "normality".
>>
>>16459800
No.
>>
>>16459817
2/2

In other words, for someone where there is no reason to live, suicidal thoughts come naturally. A suicide may therefore be the exactly rational thing to do. An argument like "but there will come happier times" also misses the mark, because happiness in itself is pointless/impossible for a person who has no meaning to their life.

Important side note: Be responsible and never say to a depressed person that all they need to do is "fight it". It's such a pointless and needlessly macho comment that accomplishes just two things: 1) it makes you feel good and macho about yourself because there's no way it's possible for other people to actually have a harder life than you, nooo, other people are all just weaker than you, OBVIOUSLY, and 2) it just rubs it in the face of the depressed that they really don't have value, hastening their sinking into despair. Instead, help them, or get them help. If you seriously need to endanger another person's life to sustain the image of yourself as an superb person, you should just get the hell away from people and go to therapy yourself.
>>
>>16459818
Why do you deny your powers?!
>>
>>16459821
Why do you keep responding to me.
>>
>>16459829
Because a hyper fedora like yourself is so rare that I can't let such power slip away
>>
>>16459837
Okay asperger. Don't expect me to give your strangled mind the satisfaction.
>>
>>16459843
I knew you wouldn't give up on your powers! Excellent. You're going to be late for your magic game, though.
>>
>>16459848
No.
>>
>>16459851
>keeps replying
>>
>>16459851
Oh! You're already there? You are quick, young fedora. Now, what deck did you decide on?
>>
>>16459461
Jesus Christmas this post
>>
>>16459862
No.
>>
>>16458774
>yeah why dont they LISTEN to ME
>all im doing is telling them to get rid of their chemical imbalance
>maybe buy a new brain
> its SIMPLE shit you guys
>>
>>16461172
Depression isn't caused by a chemical imbalanced. It's only predisposed.

People can have that chemical imbalance and not be depressed so there goes the idea that chemical imbalances mean anything causal instead of just correlative.
>>
>>16458774
The thing I don't think you understand, OP, is that you're right. And every single person with depression KNOWS you're right. Most of them thought of this long before you did, actually.

But despite knowing all of this, they do not act. Note that I do not say that they "cannot" act; barring those with serious disabilities, they can, and they know it. But they don't.

Most of them could not tell you why they do not act; they only know that they could, but they don't. But I wonder: how do you think someone in that situation should feel? What kind of person would know exactly what to do, yet not do it? What should they think about themselves?
>>
Formerly diagnosed with MDD and can confirm.

Depressed people only listen to the things they want to hear. They do nothing to help themselves and mope (erroneously) about why people hate them.

Most are just lonely people who want someone to pay attention to them, but they never reciprocate and expect people to still do it. You gotta help yourself before anybody can help you.
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.