[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Use By Date
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
I found some sliced ready-cooked ham in my fridge that was use-by a month ago, and I've shoved it in the microwave for three minutes. It smelled okay beforehand.

All the bacteria should be dead after nuking it in the microwave, right?
>>
File: 30ChildrensVocabulary.jpg (30 KB, 259x254) Image search: [Google]
30ChildrensVocabulary.jpg
30 KB, 259x254
Use by or sell by?
>>
>>16457863
Use by, like I said.

But my point is, if I've nuked it in the microwave to the point where it's searing hot, how can I get sick?
>>
You'll be fine, those use by dates are legal mumbo-jumbo
>>
the bacteria might be dead but the toxins are still there. you can try some and then decide but 1 month over date is really pushing it when it comes to meat. from experience i wouldnt go over the date by more than a few days with meat.
>>
>>16457877
Chinese scientists just made the what?

>>16457884
The toxins? What does that mean? I thought bacteria/viruses were what made you sick, I've never heard anything about toxins.
>>
>>16457885
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botulinum_toxin
>>
>>16457893
Should I be making myself sick right now or something?
>>
>>16457896
it's possible, i have a weak stomach when it comes to expired food. fucking ham is like $1, why risk it?
>>
>>16457906
I was drunk and found it in my fridge.
>>
>>16457865
doesn't matter, bacteria and funghi could have produced toxins, which make you vomit even if they're dead.

>>16457877
is also true, basically if it smells ok, you should be ok.
>>
>>16457896
nope, your body will do that by itself, if nesessary....
>>
>>16457916
I'd rather do it before I get food poisoning,.
>>
>>16457865
Dead bacteria can't male you sick, but their nonliving by-products can. Of particular concern here is botulinum toxin, which is one of the deadliest substances known to mankind; you can kill the bacteria that make it, but that won't do anything to whatever toxins are already there.

Don't mess with use-by dates. Sell-by dates can be fudged; use-by dates cannot.
>>
>>16457860
OP again.

I feel a slight pain in my stomach. That's just my imagination, right? It's surely too early for any actual illness from eating food.
>>
>>16458073
maybe, your body will take care of it, one way or another.
>>
Worked as a butcher. We usee to tell people that got sick from our food that bought it and came in the same night ill that it takes 36 hours for that stuff to play out. I never believed that. It can be lightening quick based on the amount of toxins (bacteria by itself takes a lot longer)

Good luck. Vomiting at this point likely wont do much.

Use out of date everything except meat dingus
>>
I wouldn't eat old ham/meat
>>
Generally OP, you can tell by the smell. Last nite I ate some chicken breasts that had a sell-by date that was more than three weeks ago. They had not been opened, and the fridge is kept very cold so bacteria takes much longer to grow in my fridge. If the meat is spoiled, the smell will give it away.
>>
>>16457860
>It smelled okay beforehand.
Was it unopened? Was it dried out? Was it slimy?

>>16458073
>I feel a slight pain in my stomach. That's just my imagination, right?
Probably not. Bacteria can produce several types of toxins, some intentionally toxic(exotoxins), other just being offensive to higher life while being structural components of the bacteria(endotoxins). These can be effective immediately after being ingested and some of them will survive autoclave-level temperatures.

>>16458102
Within 12 hours and it's toxins, after 24 hours and it's probably infectious organisms throwing a party in your gut. Depending on timing onset(and if you shit blood or not) you can guesstimate the organism.

For some toxins like botulinum toxin it can ramp up over a prolonged and slow period. If you feel tingling extremities and double vision it's go2 hospital while you can still walk and breathe.
>>
>>16458240
yep,
Buttery smell is still ok, but be quick(actually this is where the meat is at the perfect ripeness so enjoy it!)
ammonia/pee smell and it's bad
only thing is with ham, since it's processed and everything, it might be a bit different.
>>
>>16457885
It's the spores that the bacteria grow over time. In a lot of cases, the spores become heat resistant and nuking it will do absolutely nothing even though said bacteria may be dead.
>>
>>16457885
>The toxins? What does that mean?
Welcome to food safety 101, enjoy your intestines roleplaying Mount St. Helens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exotoxin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipopolysaccharide (aka endotoxin)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycotoxin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterotoxin
>>
>>16458278
>It's the spores
No. Spores are reproductory stages and virtually never dangerous themself, they only start growing and become infectious.

Toxins are like military-grade munition. They just exist to fuck you up big time.
>>
>>16458278
don't talk bullshit!
spores are basically bacteria in a dormant state, very hard to kill.

Toxins are toxic chemicals produced by bacteria or funghi, the stuff that actually makes you puke.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.