[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Random question. How do you know you're intelligent? What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 456x549) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 456x549
Random question.

How do you know you're intelligent? What defines intelligent?

How do you know you're smarter then everyone else, as in , how do you differentiate between yourself confirming a bias as opposed to an outside view. Obviously your view will be different?
What are some signs someone is intelligent in general? General knowledge on many topics? Or the ability to control ones self and think about everything rationally?

It just seems so confusing. I don't know where I stand. I'd like to think I'm smarter then most people but I really don't know.
>>
>>16456829
If you have to ask if you're smarter than everyone else then you aren't smarter.
>>
>>16456829
there are different types of intelligence, you can have a 200+IQ but have minimum to none emotional intelligence

you can only tell if you are smart by how well you can manage yourself
>>
Intelligence is a difficult thing to define like that. If you've got to stroke your mental dick over being superior to others I'd gloat about IQ scores and being hot shit at pattern recognition, that seems to be the poplar option.

Otherwise like most people you can go about not really caring once you realize that there will always be people who severely outclass you.
>>
There are various kinds of intelligence, and you notice them through your proficiency at a given task. For example, I may be analytically intelligent because I can read sources of information and form a very strong argument or opinion based firmly on that.
>>
How quickly can you learn & understand new concepts? Are you good at creative problem-solving? Do you have a good memory, ability to recall & apply knowledge well? Do you keep yourself organized? Are you self-motivated and self-disciplined? These are practical ways in which intelligence makes itself clear
>>
File: image.jpg (288 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
288 KB, 750x1334
>>16456835
Or maybe I'm being generous.
>>
>>16456851
Or maybe you're actually dumb as fuck.
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 580x435) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 580x435
>>16456860
Obviously I'm not going to make a post stating how much smarter I am then everyone else or else people will shit on the post trying to bring OP down to their level. Use your brain.
>>
>>16456864
So you already know that you're smarter than everyone else. Why did you make this thread then? So we could all suck your cock about how smart you are? Get the fuck out of here.
>>
>>16456875
I'm never going to win arguing with you since both arguments cancel each other out. If i said I need to know you'll call me dumb and if i know you'll say were not here to suck your dick.
>>
>>16456899
You could just admit that you were looking for us to massage your ego.
>>
>>16456908
Shut up.
>>
>>16456829
>How do you know you're intelligent?
You dont. Don't think about it. Just do what you do.

Do athletes need to know if they're strong? They just need to be capable. Your ability means nothing if you don't do anything with it, and unless you're retarded, everyone has potential.

I was naturally gifted, administered an iq test at age 7 for the school's gifted program and killed it. Everyone told me how smart I was even though I never felt like it. I liked being friends with the dumb kids and pretending I was like them. I was praised without deserving it. I was just advanced for my age. Took a long time to get over myself. Maybe I still haven't considering I'm typing this shit out. People still tell me how smart I am but I'm better at disregarding it now. I just think differently than most others, which has its pros and cons, and now that I'm an adult, everyone else has caught up. I just have a naturally different perspective. I don't feel smart. I think differently, so my first thoughts as a reaction to something might blow someone else's mind, and their thoughts mine. This can make me seem sharp in some areas and slow in others.

Just to answer the question, I'd say someone's smart if they read 50 books a year and their job requires them to think.
>>
>>16456972
You first, faggot.
>>
Not sure exactly where you want to go with this thread OP but there is an entire branch of philosophy dedicated to answering your first question

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistemology

Also thinking that you're "smarter" than most other people just means you're narcissistic. Unless you have an objective base for intellect, you cannot truly know if you actually are smarter than other people - though subjectively you may feel that way. Making an objective base for intellect is hard too. Just stop using big words to sound smart faggot.
>>
Its easier to tell if you are smarter than most people once you enter the work force. I was really surprised by how slow and incompetent most people are. Makes it easy to excel and get promotions and raises and shit when everyone is a total dud.
>>
>>16456829
muhh inteligence
>>
>>16456829
Baby green anole, so cute!
>>
>>16456829

there is no real definitive answer. you can't grade a fish on climbing up a tree, as they say.

that being said, it seems we can tell who is mroe intelligent than who if there are great gaps. but education =/= intelligence either so there is that.

if i remember correctly IQ tests grade you on your ability to learn as opposed to what you know. but its hard to say for sure, as even IQ tests differ
>>
File: Serial_Reasoning.gif (10 KB, 621x445) Image search: [Google]
Serial_Reasoning.gif
10 KB, 621x445
>>16457162

IQ tests are solely based around pattern recognition and the test taker's ability to recognize patterns. Hence why anyone who thinks they're a genius for a high score isn't necessarily so.
>>
>>16457180
Maybe the online ones but if you took a real one with a psychologist you'd know it measures much more than pattern recognition
>>
>>16456835
Yes
>>16456851
Nope
>>16456860
Yes
>>
>>16456829
Your amount of knowledge you have on anything. Knowledge is there for everyone and anyone can learn it and be "intelligent" Also being open minded seeing your side but also the other persons. The only reason someone is "smarter" than you is because they posses knowledge on something you do not. Its that simple find something you're interested in and just go for it you'll learn about it as you go and your knowledge will build.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.