[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a bit of a situation here. I had a bunch of bonds that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 630x630
I have a bit of a situation here.

I had a bunch of bonds that various people bought me over the course of my life, mostly when I was a kid (my grandma used to buy me a savings bond every year for my birthday, amongst others).

Well, I finally went to turn them in because it is a very significant amount of money, about 30 grand, and I found out that about 10k worth of the bonds had apparently already been cashed in. According to the bond office, a cheque had been sent to my Dad's house. I asked my Dad about this and he told me that he's cashed them in and reinvested them in new bonds for me.

I went back to the bond office, and they have no record of any new bonds in my name. My dad did give me some paperwork, but as it turns out, it was for the old bonds that had already been cashed in, there is no documentation of new bonds.

My Dad and I have always had a bit of a rocky relationship, he's pulled a few shady things over the years, and I don't really see him that much anymore. I don't think he would've just sold off my bonds and pocketed the money, but I wouldn't 100% put it past him, and there doesn't seem to be any other explanation. A cheque was sent to him, I never received any money, and no new bonds seem to exist.

What the fuck do I do here?

TL;DR: my dad may have embezzled over 10k from me, wat do?
>>
If he did it while you were a minor, there's probably nothing you can do.

It just cost you 10K monies to learn that your father is a horrid human being.
>>
The bonds were supposedly reinvested in 2012, which would've made me 29 at the time.
>>
>>16456555
Lawyer up.
>>
>>16456568
Oh then as
>>16456570
says, you lawyer up like a motherfucker.

Don't visit your dad while he's in jail, which he will be for at least a year and a day. He committed a felony.
>>
>>16456571
Fuck... I really wish there was another way to do this. I don't dislike my dad, per se, we're just very different people, I don't want shit to go down like this. He's done some things that didn't sit well with me now and then, but I dint think he was a bad person.

I just... I can't very well let 10k go like it's nothing.

Fuck.
>>
>>16456585
There are lots of other ways. I just can't talk about them because the 4chan rules prohibit discussion on anything illegal.
>>
>>16456585
So what did you do after he gave you the old paper work for these "new" bonds and the bank told you they were the old ones?

Maybe he's just shitty paperwork?
>>
>>16456602
Well, I haven't done anything yet. He told me he gave me everything he has, though. He said he kept everything in a file together and that was the only paperwork he had for bonds in my name.

I was just at the bond office today, so I'm still trying to figure out what the fuck is going on here and how I should handle this.
>>
>>16456610
Move I'd make:
Don't accuse him.
Tell him the all that paper work is for the old bonds, the new ones are probably else where. Offer to help go through his paper work, ask him for detail on these new bonds the bank they are with etc, see if his story has any holes.

Arrange a meeting at your bank, mention your concerns that you dad took the bond out and say he opened a new one in your name but can't find the paper work. Tell them any relative info your dad has passed on to you.
If your dads story is flaky mention it to your bank that you think you dad cashed in your bonds and spent the money X years ago, ask them for advice.
>>
>>16456610
You know what's going on.

You've been robbed. The best he can do is offer to pay you back, which I bet he won't.
>>
>>16456629
It's not just that he didn't give me the right paperwork, though. According to the bond office, there are no new bonds. They have records of all the other bonds that I cashed in and the old ones that were sent to my dad, but no records of any new bonds as my dad claims.

So either he's lying, or he meant to reinvest them, forgot to, and somehow forgot about the 10k of my money that he had.
>>
Yeah, hire a lawyer and probably a financial consultant.
>>
>>16456662
Honestly hiring a lawyer and a financial consultant is just going to eat up the rest of the money. And even if OP manages to win some kind of civil judgement there isn't usually any kind of mechanism to actually MAKE someone pay. They will garnish wages for child support but not always civil judgements.

So basically, if OP wants his money back he is probably out of luck. If OP wants his dad to go to jail that can probably happen, but he still won't get his money back. Just tell him that you never want to see him again, that he traded 10K for ever being in your life again, and that when the hospital or nursing home calls to let you know he's dying, you're just going to hang up and smile.
>>
>>16456982
>Honestly hiring a lawyer and a financial consultant is just going to eat up the rest of the money.
>hiring a lawyer and financial consultant is going to eat up ~20k
no.
>>
Eh, I'd give my Dad 10k if he asked. In the grand scheme of things it's not much money especially considering how much he has probably spent raising you. In this case he did some sleazy shit to violate your trust and didn't come clean about spending it. I'd secure that money and then tell him to get bent.
>>
>>16456555
Tell him you need the full documentation for your income taxes (It's true).
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.