[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What can I do with a Linguistics major I'm so fucked guys
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5
File: dodo.jpg (227 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
dodo.jpg
227 KB, 1200x900
What can I do with a Linguistics major
I'm so fucked guys
>>
>>16456398
You can be fluent in 9 different ways of sucking dick :)
>>
>>16456404
why are you so mean to me
>>
>>16456404
why do you think he knows several languages? that's not what linguistics is
>>
File: 1428985234376.jpg (19 KB, 618x416) Image search: [Google]
1428985234376.jpg
19 KB, 618x416
>>16456404
Fucking lol'd
>>
Work for the CIA or Google. Both hire linguistics majors all the time
>>
>>16456414
>A linguist only knowing one language
Sure if you want to be shitty at your job.
>>
Teach! Depending on your region that is... but teaching is usually in demand somewhere. You could easily get hired in a high school if all else fails. I am lucky to live in western Europe in this regard... we have some awesome arrangements for this because of the high demand.
>>
>>16456468

there is no demand in america
>>
File: laughingmr.amin.gif (4 MB, 298x224) Image search: [Google]
laughingmr.amin.gif
4 MB, 298x224
>>16456404
top kek m80
>>
>>16456483
Aw shit. Sorry for being so gleeful. If you are competent in your field, how about tutoring some perversely rich kid through college? If such a thing exists and they wouldn't just want you to do the work for him...
>>
>>16456505
do i have to wear robes and bum him?
>>
>>16456510
US not Germany.
>>
what do I do?
>>
bumop
>>
Relax, you just need to do some research and get creative.

The 2 industries I can think of that hire linguists are marketing and tech. Take a look at companies in the bay area.
>>
>>16456440
This, join an agency
>>
>>16456647
they'll never let me
>>
File: 1447110480622.png (81 KB, 178x178) Image search: [Google]
1447110480622.png
81 KB, 178x178
>>16456660
Why is that? Fucked up fetishes? Criminal past? Autism?

Don't leave us hanging
>>
>>16456758

im just a linguistic major college grad
people lump us with humanities
nobody gets me man
i hate it so much
im not stupid
negative
im not
>>
>>16456398
Research
If you want to be part of the trend and get some money and a lot of recognition, research Linguistic particularities of minorities (esp gays and blacks) or language contact regarding immigrants

it's a decent field as far as a humanities major goes. literature is a lot worse off
>>
>>16456772

i dont want to
>>
Guys can we just stop? OP is obviously dumb as shit and doesn't want help.

Fuck off and die, OP.
>>
>>16456763
Stupid as fuck reasoning, what was the original goal when you decided to study another language? As another anon said before, CIA, DOD, FBI love language degrees. Sounds like you don't give a fuck either way.
>>
>>16456398
Holy shit is that a Ford Fairmont?
>>
>>16456855
what
>>16456861
i dunno it kind looks like what i drive though
>>
im kind of crying
i dont know what to do with my life
>>
>>16456404 #
Curious question.
Are you a faggot?
Because of the sick fantasies of yours...
>>
guys
>>
translators make bank
become a translator

or go to grad school for something related, like international business or speech therapy, both of which pay very well

you're only screwed if you convince yourself you are, then let yourself take a shitty job and stay there forever, telling yourself it's because you chose the wrong major
>>
>>16457259
not helpful
>>
>>16457277
how the fuck is this less helpful than what others have said? I'm giving you good career options here, it's you're fault if you're too stupid to understand them
>>
>>16457284

they're not appealing to me
>>
>>16457294
What is appealing to you, then? What kind of thing do you want to do? There must be some reason you're in linguistics
>>
Bachelor's don't matter that much - you can still get any MA/MFA/MBA you want
if you want an MS, just go back and take some prereq undergrad courses, then apply
>>
>>16457308
thats insane
>>
>>16457318
it's reality
you just need a little relevant coursework and experience in whatever you're going for
>>
>>16457294
That doesn't make what he wrote not helpful. It was a helpful post. You're just being picky.
>>
>>16457327

what the fuck am i going to do
>>
>>16457332
I have no idea, because you won't give any details about your interests
>>
You can talk about unemployment in highly intellectual ways
>>
>>16456398
>blindly choosing a shit major
Why did you take it in the first place?
>>
I don't often speak to linguistics majors, but when I do, I always order the large fries.
>>
>>16458180
>>16458171
STEMkids please
Graduate undergrad
>>
how many languages you speak OP?
>>
>>16457294
>choose major
>areas directly related to your major are not appealing

sounds like you're just retarded then
>>
>>16456398
As I posted the last time you asked this question,

I work in HR for a big corporation and I was an English major.

My company's policy - and I've talked with other companies and they're the same - is to hire the person, not the transcript.

We'll talk to any major for any but the most technical jobs, and look for someone who is bright and ambitious, eager to work, capable of learning our way of doing things (Even business majors have to un-learn what they got in class to learn our way), and likely to fit into our corporate culture and be an asset to the company.

A bright linguistics (or history or philosophy) major will always get the job ahead of a brain-dead business major.
>>
>>16458341

>implying
>>
Better start learning how to flip those burgers, kid.

Are you a grill? You can always find a sugar daddy or trap some naive dude into marriage/alimoney/child support (it's all the same thing, really).
>>
>>16459217

Why are you being a dick?
there's nothing wrong with linguistics
>>
>>16459293
Nothing wrong.

Other than, you know

job prospects

Besides, OP already said he doesn't want to go into research (as if he had the luxury of picking what he wants to do, lol), so this predicament is entirely of his own making.
>>
>>16459553

oh shut up
i bet you think stem is a good major too
>>
>>16459558
I know, right? Hahaha!

I bet that guy thinks having money is a good thing too! LOL having a career... get a life instead, loser!
>>
>>16459565

someone hasn't payed attention to the job market since 2009...
>>
>>16459570
I bet that someone has a job since 2009.
>>
>>16459574

how would i even have a job in 2009
your post doesnt do anything but prove my point
>>
>>16459578
The only "point" you seem to have is that STEM job market turned to shit.

But you're looking at relatives while you should be looking at absolutes.

A "shitty" job market for someone with a STEM degree at a good university still providesl far, far, endlessly far more opportunities than a linguistics degree.

There's STEM-bad, and there's BAD-bad.
>>
>>16459590

linguistics is a fantastic degree though
>>
OP I'm sorry you're not getting good advice, nobody in this thread seems to actually know what linguistics is. Maybe try a linguistics forum or something.

>>16457284
Not op but it's not helpful because linguistics doesn't mean you know a lot of languages, it means you study how language operates. It has nothing to do with translating or knowing how to speak multiple languages.
>>
>>16459596
>THE FACT THAT LINGUISTICS WASN'T EXACTLY IDENTICAL TO LANGUAGE LEARNING CAME AS A SURPRISE TO ME THEREFORE GROWN ADULTS WHO ARE IN ALL LIKELIHOOD ENTIRELY AWARE OF THE DISTINCTION DON'T ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT LINGUISTICS IS

God I hate people like you. Yes, studying linguistics naturally means you're going to pick up at least 6 languages (typically from 3 different families) if you're at all worth your weight in salt in your field of study.

t. linguistics degree'd
>>
>>16456398
In how many languages can you deliver pizza, OP?
>>
>>16456398
I can't really say from first hand experience OP but my gf is a linguistics major and worried about the same things. She wants to be a speech language pathologist and work with kids with speech problems but that requires at least a master's degree.

I'm not really sure what you can do with just a bachelors, I've heard not much, at least for things that are closely related. There are always other non-related degree options, as others have said. You could work for the government or some random marketing company, do sales, or try to teach. Lots of times they don't care what your major is as long as you're driven. I think sometimes you need another degree or certificate or experience of some kind like for teaching, try to be creative with your career searches and be open to anything.
>>
>>16459600
u mad
>>
not much, as it's a shitty major. You can teach though
>>
>>16459684
nice meme
>>
>>16459691
If it were just a meme, you'd have a satisfying high-paying job right now.

Yet you don't.
>>
>>16459701

I'm not OP, I'm still in school.
Majoring in Linguistics though.
>>
Maybe you can help with artificial intelligence research? I'm not sure how much need they have for linguists in natural language research.
>>
File: 1440535362870.jpg (204 KB, 585x883) Image search: [Google]
1440535362870.jpg
204 KB, 585x883
>>16456398
Linguini your way to a better job.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.