[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Resume GPA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: 1383509361317.jpg (140 KB, 691x830) Image search: [Google]
1383509361317.jpg
140 KB, 691x830
I took a bunch of graduate courses as an undergraduate and my grades sucked in them. My grades also sucked when I studied abroad.
Also my major grades in general are bad but everything not in my major is like an A+.

On a resume, can I leave out graduate courses when calculating GPA, since they are way harder than any undergraduate courses, and can I leave out Study Abroad courses as well, since none are relevant to my major and were just taken for fun while traveling?

GPA with Everything is like 3.0
GPA with no study abroad + only undergraduate courses is like 3.75.
>>
>>16453341

Were they courses that counted towards your undergraduate degree? If so, no.
>>
>>16453375
They were in the department, but ultimately I would still get the undergraduate degree without having taken them (i.e. I didn't pass one so it can't count towards the degree but still lowers the overall GPA a lot, and the other 2 are supplementary to my degree in the same way that a high school course is 'supplementary' (not necessary) for my degree).

I study math by the way. I took ridiculously hard math courses right out of freshman year feeling confident as fuck and got my ass handed to me. I don't want to be barred from every job I apply for because of this mistake.

Does this make things clearer?
>>
>>16453375
I'll even write "UG GPA " instead of just "GPA" and I'll include my study abroad university separately so there can be no confusion. If anyone asked for a transcript, I would have to explain to them that certain things were not helpful at all to my degree and were not even undergraduate courses, so I chose not to include them, and likewise my study abroad experience, although it's on the transcript, was not related to my gpa in any way at all, so it was also removed. These are the types of things I could explain in an interview if asked.

How's that?
>>
>>16453399

Employers who ask for gpas use it as a measure of your overall discipline. Whether they were units that you needed for the degree or not, they will still see those Fs and such as a reflection of your character.

Go for it, hopefully they won't ask for transcripts. You having to explain your rationale for what you put on your resume will just make you sound like you were trying to deceive them.
>>
>>16453341
>my major grades in general are bad but everything not in my major is like an A+
I'm pretty sure an employer will look first at your major's grades
>>
Don't put your GPA on your resume.

Unless you're applying for internships through your school, no one gives a fuck.
>>
>>16453435

I have never seen a form for an entry level position for a new grad that didn't have a mandatory gpa field.

If you handled your business in college and actually worked then you don't have to deal with this hell. If you sat around playing video games and jacking off every intersession then you pretty much deserve what you get.
>>
>>16453439
I did work though. Again, I just messed up by taking ridiculously hard graduate courses right after calculus and study abroad.

>>16453421
What kinds of jobs require a transcript?

>>16453424
Well then let me rephrase that. My undergraduate major grades are fine, but there are math courses which are not being counted towards my math degree, because I thought I could get a masters in math at the time but have since dropped out of the masters program. So why should I have to include my GPA, which is filled with masters courses, alongside every other candidate when everything related to my Bachelors degree was fine?

>>16453435
Putting my GPA is important because people will ask if I leave it off, I'm sure.

>>16453439
I handled things well. My GPA is still above a 3.0 and everything even with my masters courses and everything included.

I just don't see why, on a resume, I need to pretend like my courses were the same difficulty as everyone else that got a bachelor's in my degree. They are not. Mine are much, much harder because they are graduate courses and it's ridiculous to assume the same standard.

>>16453421
When will they see those Fs?

Do employers honestly ask for transcripts?
If I have some job experience, why would I need to supply a transcript at all, unless maybe after I get the job to show that I wasn't lying about my degree?

How is this different than the people who put only their major GPA on a transcript? I'm putting only my UNDERGRADUATE GPA at my home university (as opposed to the one abroad) on the transcript.
How is what I'm doing deceptive at all?
>>
>>16453439
>I have never seen a form for an entry level position for a new grad that didn't have a mandatory gpa field
literally against the law. employers are not privy to that information and can not ask about it. You can only choose to divulge it
>>
How is what I'm doing (leaving out all GRADUATE courses because I have an UNDERGRADUATE degree) any different than people who just selectively choose to list their Major GPA and don't mention the cumulative one?
>>
>>16453473

Could you post proof of this? I can't find anything.

The DoD does it, all the biggest medical corporations do it... I would think that it wouldn't be so common if it was illegal.
>>
>>16453479

It isn't, it is just as deceptive.

Are you claiming a hypothetical situation in which these people will be overlooked in the future?
>>
>>16453501
>it's just as deceptive
Every website I know, and it's pretty much common knowledge I think, insists that if your major GPA is much higher than cumulative GPA, you should just list your major GPA instead and leave it at that. From what I've seen everywhere online, I think this is considered normal and completely acceptable.
>>
>>16453508
Not the person that you're replying to and I don't have an opinion either way, but why did you ask if you've already decided what you're going to do?
>>
>>16453508

It is just advice for people like you, who screwed up their gpa, to deceive hiring managers who are just skimming through resumes.

I'm not saying it is not common, I am just calling it was it is.
>>
>>16453518
I haven't already decided anything. I'm asking to see what kinds of potential problems there are with this approach and if the general public (or /adv/) would find it acceptable. I have a suspicion and opinion on this, yes, which I am providing evidence for to make sure the advice I get is considering my perspective on it. But I haven't made up my mind or anything.
>>
>>16453518

That's /adv/, bro. People don't come here for advice, they come for validation. He knows it is a dishonest tactic, he just wants people here to tell him it is okay due to how many other kids do it.

Do what you have to do, OP. I personally would not put my gpa on my resume then proceed to explain my situation if asked. You don't want one of your first impressions to an employer to be that you're shady.
>>
>>16453527
Well, why are you arguing with opinions you're getting then? If you're just getting a general feel for whether it's a good or bad idea, you should just sit back and listen, and then decide for yourself, not defend one approach over the other

>>16453529
I know, but I like to call people out on it regardless
>>
>>16453529
While that does sound appealing, a lot of articles online have told me that if you don't include a GPA, companies automatically assume it was below 3.0 and therefore throw it away immediately if they have any kind of GPA cutoff.

That's the only reason why what you're saying seems peculiar to me, though I see the logic in it, that's the only reason I'm a bit hesitant to take that approach.

I'm not here for validation, but I am going to commend on the advice I'm given, sure.
>>
>>16453535
I'm just trying to be part of the conversation man but ok, I'll try to stop sounding so defensive about it and listen better,
>>
wow so my university actually recommends something like this on its website. It says if you're gonna do that, you just have to put (X Courses) after it to indicate how many courses it contains. Nice.
>>
>>16453508
>Listing GPA
Look, the stuff you've been reading online isn't necessarily wrong.
But nobody legitimately gives a single shit about your GPA.

The first sentence out of your mouth in a phone interview is worth more than a GPA on a resume. In fact, we've thrown out a lot of candidates BECAUSE they listed GPA in place of internships or work experience. It doesn't matter how well you were able to meet your professors criteria, employers don't care about that.
We care about how much you actually know and how well you can articulate it.
>>
>>16454211
Wonderful. I can do those things and I am very confident about that, or at least I will absolutely try my hardest, so I am always glad to hear that that is more important than GPA.
It's just getting past HR with GPA cutoffs and getting interviews.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.