[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/, mutefag here I've been diagnosed with depression
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 480x408) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 480x408
Hey /adv/, mutefag here
I've been diagnosed with depression since I was young
I grew up the oldest of 3 boys and 1 girl (second oldest)
I've played sports (hockey and basketball) from a young age but fell out with them around the highschool level because my communication and synergy with my team was shit

I went into college with absolutely no friends and had distanced myself from my family other than the occasional get together where I'll sit awkwardly somewhere and hear about how great everyone else is doing. My mom used to try to converse with me but was the only one and gave up after I stopped giving any reaction

I'm currently in the same college and the my only saving grace is lifting and the community around the gym are very accepting and I can answer almost all questions with different numbers on my hands

My question is this: recently I've had a much stronger desire to actually go out and hang out with some people I've met at the gym, none of them know my name and the only conversation with them is how many sets i have and how much i can deadlift. How would I go about asking them to be my friends?

TL;DR I'm a mute faggot who grew up a bigger faggot but is now becoming less of a faggot and wants to become friends with people I've basically never spoken to in my life

Sorry for shit writing
>>
Literally mute? Also you're at college. It's not highschool anymore, nobody's going to make fun of you for childish shit anymore. I remember coming to college with no friends and the best thing I could do was leave my room and talk to people. Everyone I met doing this are still my good friends and we hang on a daily basis. No matter how much it hurts you inside, just be open to people. The only way you'll make friends is by being friendly.
>>
>>16451204
I can't go out and talk to people because i can't talk

I take retard classes with a group of disabled people, I'm basically here out of pity
>>
>>16451204
okay so yes literally mute... Shit man, doesn't your school's psychology dept. have something to promote community for the disabled? As far as your lifting buds, have you tried expressing your thoughts on notes?
>>
>>16451221
The psych department is more worried about the anxious white girls but I have seen them a couple times
I don't want to take any anti depressants because I've heard bad things
I feel like it'd be weird to bring a notepad to the gym for just the purpose to talk to people but I'd be willing to try
>>
>>16451232
If you're willing to try, that's all you need

I'd maybe do some classes or something first though. This might be just me, but a lot of people go to the gym to get their work in, not socialize. Might be easier to meet people in more of a group setting.

Also, do the people you've been talking to actually know you're mute?
>>
>>16451232
I'm not sure bringing a notebook would be too weird at a gym. Haven't you ever used a journal to record your lifting progress? If not, try starting and use that as an excuse.
>>
>>16451239
What do you mean by classes? Like spin classes or general studies?
Yknow what I've never thought of that but I'd assume most of them would know the most noise I'll make are gutteral sounds when lifting
>>
>>16451181
you dont ask grown up people to be your friends
you just have to communicate with them
the notepad idea is ok, you can use note app on smartphone too
if you have zero comm skills, its better to start low; dont ask to hang around straight off the bat, start with easier shit like asking about dieting, programs, jokes about landwhales and dyels and shit
make them get used to this sort of communication and show that you are not some kind of creep, coz its almost heuristic that disabled ppl have mental problems
and start talking with your family again, wtf is your problem nigga?
>>
>>16451244
This is a good idea anon thank you
normally i just memorize my lifts
>>
>>16451249
Its difficult to make someone laugh with a piece of paper, jokes have a lot of weight on the delivery
Also my writing is hard to read
>>
>>16451256
People laugh on the internet don't they? You just have to get comfortable enough and invent your own genre of communication. Set standards and occasionally break them. It will sure as hell be more interesting than just giving straight questions answers on paper
>>
>>16451264
questions and answers**
>>
>>16451264
That's true anon
Thank you
>>
>>16451268
Sure, np. Care to share how you became mute? Just born that way?
>>
>>16451181
if you don't mind getting friends from elsewhere I think the mute community is a pretty safe bet

if you're adamant about being friends with the guys at gym ask them if they want to do something after. Try using your smartphone to type instead of a notepad, it'll look less weird if you're concerned about that.

good luck, just be chill and a good listener (look interested) and you'll be fine
>>
>>16451272
Sorry went to sleep after that last response
Yea i was born with my tongue all fucked up so i can't really make any sounds i can still laugh and cry but they sound more like wild animals having sex
>>16451516 there isn't a mute community here
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.