[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My roommate wants me out today. I have a bed, food, and other
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: 3499141_370.jpg (17 KB, 369x296) Image search: [Google]
3499141_370.jpg
17 KB, 369x296
My roommate wants me out today. I have a bed, food, and other stuff that can really only be carried in a car, which I don't have. I have nowhere to go, nobody to trust my stuff with, and pretty much no hope at this point. It's 6 PM, I no longer have a key, and I'm waiting for laundry to finish before I leave.

Is there anything I can do at this point or should I just throw in the towel?
>>
>>16450045
Can they actually legally kick you out like that?
>>
>>16450051
Probably. I'm late on rent.
>>
>>16450045
No parents or friends or coworkers or money?
>>
>>16450059
I've got around $80 to my name right now. I have a job, but I'll probably end up losing it because I won't have anywhere to stay. I just started it, too, and the paycheck I earned for the past two months I've been working has been for training, which I spent on food and other necessary items. I don't have family that can help me.
>>
So I'm fucked, right?

hahah...
>>
Is your name on the lease?
>>
File: 1426867827528.jpg (31 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1426867827528.jpg
31 KB, 600x450
>>16450045
You realize you can call the cops, right? They have to give a thirty day notice. How are you this retarded?
>>
>>16450174
>calling the cops
>over a civil action
Are YOU retarded?
>>
File: 1385335050753.jpg (140 KB, 981x580) Image search: [Google]
1385335050753.jpg
140 KB, 981x580
>>16450182
If his name is on the lease it's against the law to kick him out with a thirty day notice.
>>
>>16450197
I never signed a lease, though.
>>
File: 1446775515099.jpg (56 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1446775515099.jpg
56 KB, 1280x720
>>16450270
Well, you're boned desu senpai.
>>
>>16450197
Just because the law is involved doesn't mean the police are the right people to call, you fucktard. It's a moot point anyway >>16450270 and his roommate has every right to kick him out
>>
File: laugh_00009.jpg (22 KB, 340x314) Image search: [Google]
laugh_00009.jpg
22 KB, 340x314
>>16450279
>breaking laws
>the police don't need to be involved
>>
>>16450296
Yes, because breaking every law amounts to a criminal offence and civil cases aren't a thing. Police aren't going to do jack shit about a tenancy issue.
>>
>>16450311
k
>>
>>16450045

Besides not paying rent, is there a reason you are being kicked out? Try to reason with the person and ask for a week to figure your shit out. (unless you were already given a week, in which case you fucked up.)
>>
>>16450360
I talked to him a few minutes ago, and he says he'll give me a week. Thank god.
>>
>>16450367

A week is not really enough time to do anything. If you happen to have ok parents you should try to see if they'll give you a loan for your past due rent + 1 month rent and see if you can talk your roommate into giving you another shot.

In the future though, if you don't have a lease, you should sign SOMETHING outlining the rental agreement, with a clause including the requirement of a 30 day notice to vacate. Doesn't matter if its your bestfriend; rental agreements get real murky if they aren't written and signed.
>>
File: 1374693890021.jpg (364 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1374693890021.jpg
364 KB, 1920x1080
>>16450373
I'll definitely ask my parents. They don't live nearby, and we haven't spoken in a while, so it'll probably be a bit of a hassle, but I'll give it a try. They've been understanding before. Having everything out in writing seems a bit excessive, too, but I'll give it a try. Thanks for your answer, it's really helpful.
>>
So many people ITT live with mom and dad.

In many jurisdictions--though not all, especially outside of North America--a resident cannot be removed without eviction proceedings. Residency is generally established (again, not in all places) by the time spent living at a location, usually 30 days. Additional supporting criteria like a chance of mailing address may also apply.

Once residency is established, any attempt to remove the resident without court order is an illegal eviction. Cops absolutely would get involved. If someone tried to keep a person from their place of residence by illegal means, THEY could be arrested.

Check your local tenancy laws about this stuff to find out if it applies to you. If it does, don't ever let someone bully you out of where you live. You have to have an eviction petitioned and approved, and only then are you forced to leave by the date on that notice. Locks may not be changed. Essential utilities may not be turned off. Battery against you is not permitted. You have every right to enter and occupy that space as your local laws permit.
>>
>>16450045
I sincerely hope you resolve this and never have to go through this kind of experience ever again.

Godspeed, anon.
>>
>>16450382
I was looking into stuff like this, but the problem is that I have no official documents to prove that these laws exist, and I'm not sure on where to find them, either, unless I go to a courthouse.

>>16450383
I appreciate it. Thank you.
>>
>>16450382
Did you even read what OP has said? He's being kicked out by his roommate, not his landlord, for not paying rent
>>
>>16450045
Well it's good that you have a week, but you really should give yourself a little bit of time to try and figure out what it is that you can do to repair the obviously hostile relationship you have with your roommate.

What forced you to struggle with rent so bad? Did you just not have the money this month because you were just waiting for your first check?

Perhaps you need to budget your expenses better.
>>
>>16450380

protecting yourself from ending up on the streets or entering outrageous litigation is not excessive. If your name isn't on the lease you basically have no rights to something you pay for monthly.
>>
>>16450392
>Did you just not have the money this month because you were just waiting for your first check?

Yeah. I got fired from my last job and moved onto my current job fairly quickly, but training took a lot longer than I thought it would.
>>
>>16450395
This. You really need to make some kind of arrangements to get yourself on the lease, or at least get your roommate to sign some kind of agreement.

How much longer is your roommate's lease? Is he at all willing to negotiate?

Don't make this mistake in the future, no need to end up homeless.
>>
>>16450396
No paid training? That blows. Explain the circumstances and beg your roommate to let you stay. That's really all you can do.

Try to make some kind of arrangements to get the money to him so you can start repairing your relationship.
>>
>>16450388
>>16450382

if anon is in CA the roommate is required to give a 30 day notice, even without a lease.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/vacating-tenant-lease-45217.html
>>
>>16450395
>>16450399
This is true. I won't make that mistake again. My roommate is paying off his house right now, and I've tried to negotiate with him, but he told me that it wouldn't work out since I'd owe him too much money. Not because he needs it, because he's really well off with his job, but because he wants someone to pay off his mortgage.

>>16450404
Like above, I tried. I've offered to do chores and stuff for him, and I've been taking care of his cat. I even offered to pay him back in full if I couldn't stay there before I paid rent, but he told me that it wouldn't matter to him, and that I'd be better off just not paying it because he doesn't really need the money anyways. It's a weird situation.
>>
>>16450414

Give it some time. Ask if you can prove it to him by staying 1 month ahead of the rent. See if your parents can help you with this. Pay him extra now, that way December 1st you'll actually pay for Jan 1st. That way you are always ahead, and if something comes up in your life you'll have extra time to figure it out before you're fucked.
>>
>>16450414
>Not because he needs it, because he's really well off with his job, but because he wants someone to pay off his mortgage.
You make it sound like he's an asshole for doing that. He's allowed to have a tenant to pay rent to help him pay off his mortgage, your problem is that you were never legally a tenant and thus don't have the legal protections that tenants are afforded. It's fair enough that he wants you out so that he can get someone who can actually pay rent that he can put towards his mortgage.
>>
>>16450433
I would, but I really can't make a month's rent in this coming week.

>>16450434
I don't mean to make him sound like an asshole at all. I think it's a great idea, and I'd definitely do the same in his situation.
>>
>>16450414
>>16450434

Situations like this always end up shitty. If someone doesn't actually "need you" then there is nothing stopping them from deciding one day "oh I don't really like having a room mate so its time for you to get out of my house". Try living with people that are at a similar place in life as you.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.