[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Almost 4 months ago i was in a car accident and became 'disabled',
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
Almost 4 months ago i was in a car accident and became 'disabled', I've been having a really hard time accepting this as my new reality. I come looking for advice on how to deal with being so different and any advice on adapting to having to do things differently. I hate being in public or around people because my disability is not easy to hide and I still have to depend on those around me for a lot of things.

Any advice is appreciated. In return, I will answer any questions that I can answer about being disabled.

Pic semi-related- I lost both arms, my right being pretty much same as the picture and my left being a little bit shorter.
>>
>>16449462
Shit, idk.
Epictetus was born a slave and beaten so savagely that his leg broke and it was not allowed to heal, making him crippled for life. He still went on to be a beloved and renowned philosopher of stoicism, preaching about how events beyond our control had no bearing on us as people, as long as we can rightly examine ourselves through reason.

I have no personal advice though.
>>
>>16449462
How do you post on 4chan without any arms?
>>
>>16449502
somettimes i use my feet for typing or a pencil and my mouth. i use my feet for the mouse stuff
>>
>>16449515
...How do you fap though?
>>
>>16449524
for honestys sake ill say i have tried, It hasn't really worked. To keep it as simple as possible, I'll just say I tried just sort of humping and rubbing stuff, but it wasn't the same.
>>
no one?
>>
My situation is different but a few months ago i stupidly stabbed through my index finger with a kitchen knife.

The surgery was rather successful luckily, but i still have a rather gimpy hand as a result.

It took time to come to terms with the change in my life. I even wanted to seek therapy at one point. Then i realized my problem was a physical one and i would not try and let it affect my mental health. I just try this and maintain positive thoughts and how things could have gone worse.
>>
>>16449462
Have you ever looked into any type of prosthetics?

With biomedical engineering, 3d printing, and electronics being more and more prevalent, there has to be some support center you can keep in contact with, enter in a lottery to test their new devices
>>
>>16449589
It's just hard to have to present myself like this. I hate how helpless I am despite the progress I have made. It's just nerveracking when people are staring at me and thats whats the hardest to get used to.

>>16449606
I'll have a fitting for the sort of non functional arms in a few weeks hopefully. Ones the work may be possible in a year or so, but in the mean time they suggest I follow up with my theraphy and learn how to use my stumps, mouth and feet better.
>>
>>16449621
Im sorry op. It may be bad now, but the 2020s will be roaring. The transition of 2010-2015 has confirmed it with this technology boom.

Be strong for a few more years. Your hydraulics, replaceable plastics if broken, and metal would fare better then muscle and bone in a kill zone.
>>
>>16449663
Yeah but in the meantime I'm left almost helpless. I need to be taken care of and helped with just about everything. It's super frustrating. I can't even easily off myself with out some sort of help.
>>
I'm not sure if this will make you feel better or not, but your 'disability' could be viewed as a filter for shallow people. I mean, I know it's a weird approach, but most of the shitty people in the world aren't going to bother you anymore.
>>
Mate. Your helplessness will be curbed within the years to come, prosthetics have come a long way and really decent ones are becoming more readily available and improved every year. Keep your spirits high now and at the end of it you'll come out stronger than you ever were before.
>>
>>16449462
if you didn't run before,I suggest taking it up if you otherwise are still able. The catharsis of exercise should never be undersold.
You are GOING to have rough times and you need to purge the stress some how
>>
>>16449536
Sounds like you need some company OP. Kik?
>>
>>16449462
Play CoD: Advanced War fare and CoD: Black Ops III

You could be the next supersoldier and get badass arms made of metal.
>>
how did the car accident happen?
>>
>>16449672
What are you doing in the meantime? As distracting as not having hands are, i wish for you to take something up to pass the time quicker, y'know?

After you get new awesome arms again, id like to see that you've still progressed mentally and intellectually
>>
Op I hope you don't feel insulted. But have you heard of a game called tales from the borderlands?
The main chara is disabled too (he's missing an arm) and has a cool prosthetic. Don't see yourself as a freak please, you are beautiful no matter what! Stay cool
>>
>>16449779

>suggest he play video games
>with no hands

That's pretty low, dude.
>>
Stay strong op, it will get better.
As many have said - technology is getting better and soon bionic limbs will be better than real human limbs.
Also, check Angel Giuffria.
>>
File: APB3709.jpg (42 KB, 400x373) Image search: [Google]
APB3709.jpg
42 KB, 400x373
>>16449804
he can play tales from the borderlands, it's a game from telltale. all he has to do is pick the keys. he said he had one hand right? and he's typing this thread so i'm guessing if he can write he can also play the game.
or he can always watch a playthrough on youtube. i was just suggesting disabled charas to the op so he doesn't feel so sad!
pic related
>>
>>16449747
I used to play sports and run a lot, now not so much. It's hard to balance, but I do walk and jog sometimes.
>>16449774
Nah, I can't use my phone well and it's just not practical to have a kik lol>>16449783
>>16449783
Some drunk guy hit into the car I was in.>>16449796
Eh ive been reading more and watching a lot of tv. most of my time is spent in physical therpahy and at home practicing doing stuff so I don't have a whole lot of free time.

>>16449804
>>16449801
Ive tried to play some games, pc is pretty much out, I'm not fast enough. Controllers are hard. I was playing the wii a few nights ago, which was awful. For tennis I was leaning back on a chair we have here and it was okay. Then we tried bowling and I immedidatly embarrased myself by trying.>>16449801
I haven't heard of that game>>16449807
thanks man that arm would be pretty cool idk if i could afford that though ahhaha
>>16449815
>>16449815
im actually a girl, and no i have no hands at all. I can kind of play console games its hard thought and im not very good.
>>
>>16449849
Hey, there's a TED talk by Hugh Herr on YouTube on the future of bionics. The focus is on leg prosthetics but there is progress being made.
>>
File: 1422995014622.jpg (39 KB, 998x720) Image search: [Google]
1422995014622.jpg
39 KB, 998x720
Well think of it this way, at least what you have is not contagious and disgusting like the herpes i have.

So youre good.
I would swap places with you if I could.(by force of course because I know nobody wants disgusting herpes)
>>
You need to give yourself time, as hard as it sounds. You're only as helpless as you feel. Plenty of people have disabilities or sicknesses that put them out of commission. They have to relearn to walk, or learn entirely new ways of operating in day-to-day life like you do. A lot of people quit though, they get discouraged and give up, or don't put in as much effort as they can. My grandfather was wheelchair bound after breaking his hip and getting pneumonia in the hospital. He'd relearned to walk and grip after many, many strokes and heart attacks. He could have given up, but instead he pushed hard and walked regularly - more than even the doctors asked him to until he could walk without aid. Your situation is different but you can apply that, you can give yourself time, set goals. Learn how to use your feet, mouth, stumps like you've said. Eventually, autonomy will be possible if you keep trying instead of giving into apathy.

As for the way people look at you and treat you, look into getting prosthetics that look real at a glance so as to reduce being treated differently. Also look into counseling, it'll help.
>>
>>16449807
Oh my fuck, and 3d printed skin added to that with small electrical impulses?

You'll also be able to feel again too!

Thank fuck for an increase in biomed engineering.
>>
File: 1445530856055.jpg (74 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1445530856055.jpg
74 KB, 1280x720
>>16449462
>2016-1
>not having limbs
kek
>>
File: 1383202471876.gif (605 KB, 256x190) Image search: [Google]
1383202471876.gif
605 KB, 256x190
>>16449807
maybe one day bio arms will be better than normal human arms, and everybody will be chopping their arms off to get bio ones instead

also the waifu age is upon us
>>
>>16449462
>I lost both arms
oh my god, sorry to hear anon :((((
>>
>>16449913
>kek
top kek
>>
Honestly OP, it is a tough transition. I was in a car accident 2 years ago today and was left paralyzed from the waist down. I'm still dealing with a lot of things and coping but I've learned to move on. I have to live my life as I am now and I have no other choice. Not only being disabled but the social stigma around disabilities is so disheartening and so disgusting, it frustrates me to no end. I'm content now but I'm definitely not the same person that I used to be. I was dependent on people for a long time but not any longer. I drive, go to school, etc. You'll get there eventually, just takes time desu.
>>
>>16449807
honestly legs are already better, especially the powered ones because you can really run all day and not get too tired because the machine does the work, plus feet being able to be changed and specialized for things like running and climbing.
hands are going to take more time because of the dexterity involved however one advantage already is being able to rotate the wrist 360 degrees
>>
>>16449487
lol.
>>16449502
This. How?
>>16449515
You can use your feet? That's pretty amazing actually. Wow.
>>16449536
Oh my god. I can't imagine not being able to fap. aw. Wow. Now it's hitting me how hard this is for you.

Are you a guy or a girl OP?
>>
>>16449886
>yeah but at least you don't have herpes
Are you fucking retarded man? Fucking really?
>>
>>16449462
My heart goes out to you OP. I am truly sorry, I hope you can find something that brings you joy. Living with some of the things life throws at you is tough, godspeed.
>>
I wanna let you give me a footjob
>>
>>16449909
You're welcome (biomed engineer here)
>>
>>16449982
i am serious, herpes sucks
>>
>>16449462
Hey, OP,

I am super sorry for your physical impairment. I am not quite sure what to suggest in relation to this; however, you have plenty of opportunities ahead of you, despite what may seem like something insurmountable right now. You need to re-adjust your expectations and imagination for the possibilities open to you. There is no easy way to do this, but it may actually help you realise the important things in life (some people I know say this who have also suffered physical or mental impairment).

Below I have attached an interesting and inspiring talk by a guy who suffered burns to most of his body and lost limbs. He now works within the palliative treatment profession developing new concepts of health and architectonics of the spaces we place the unhealthy or dying.

Do not place undue limitations on yourself. You may not be able to be a professional arm wrestler, but you can certainly still amount to someone who inspires, influences others and is caring.

Godspeed,

Anon.

https://www.ted.com/talks/bj_miller_what_really_matters_at_the_end_of_life
>>
Your original post was some pretty great typing for someone who lost their hands just four months ago. And learning to type that accurately and competently with your toes in that amount of time? Wow.

You could just get yourself a fukken teletyper. Or, I should say, could have just said it instead of that bullshit you put in >>16449515

I call bullshit here. Timestamped pics or GTFO
>>
>>16449462

Your hospital and/or physical therapy unit should also offer psychological counselling. Just talking to someone about your feelings can be a lot of help, and they can offer more qualified suggestions for coping than anything we can guess at.

They probably also have group sessions where you can talk with others who are going through what you are, and share experiences and ideas.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.