[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you deal with the millenial ennui? How do you just accept
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: cock block song.jpg (167 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
cock block song.jpg
167 KB, 800x600
How do you deal with the millenial ennui?

How do you just accept that the previous generation was a freak accident and unlike them, we'll just be peasant serfs with no dreams for a say in our futures, just like all the other spans of humanity were before?
>>
mass murder
>>
>>16448876
I'm keeping plans for suicide on the backburner, but I'm kind of hoping I can hold out until my mom dies first.

I don't dream about violence, really. I keep fantasising about the massive societal collapse that I know won't happen. That sooths me sometimes, though I try not to get carried away by it.
>>
Alcoholism, if you can afford it.
>>
>>16448854
If anything we will be like the greatest generation.

>know that things can be awesome
>went through some shit
>will solve the problems of our time

We just need to make sure we don't spoil our kids and create a new generation of boomers.
>>
>>16449002
>we will solve the problems of our time

Like fuck we will. The boomers will retire with the middle-class discontinued, leaving the filthy rich ruling class and the rest of us peasants behind.

Do you think the 1%'s children will do a better job at running the world? Do you think they'll be nice and responsible?

Do you think we'll have any power over them?

Democracy is an ugly, bad joke.
>>
>>16449064
>Democracy is an ugly, bad joke

It will be when you have 30% turnout with the majority of that 30% being boomers and old people.
>>
>>16449122
I do vote. I did vote. And I can assure you that voting for the party that believes in my human rights did jack shit to stop my countrymen from voting nazis into the government.
>>
File: StGenevieve (1).jpg (20 KB, 456x340) Image search: [Google]
StGenevieve (1).jpg
20 KB, 456x340
>>16448854
By ignoring Millennials.
Seriously, though, what are you talking about? The Boomers did almost nothing but coast on the achievements of their parents and the intervening generation.
I am a Gen Xer; trust me, most of the great things were from before or after the Boomers.
You millennials will be fine once you throw off the silly notions fed to you in school
>>
>>16449064
>Democracy is an ugly, bad joke.
Very true
>>
>>16449154
I got lucky. My dad died, I inherited half his shit so I don't have to dig through trash for food like my school peers.

I can assure you we are perfectly aware that we've been lied to.
>>
>>16449165
Sometimes I fear you aren't seeing the big lies.
While I don't pity Millennials I do feel so sorry for you guys; lied to, lead down the wrong path, and abandoned.
>>
>>16449182
>the big lies

If you mean "life is not supposed to be like this", I know that one. I know this is the same shit my grandparents went through at my age, I know this is normal.

A baby that has candy snatched from it is still gonna cry harder than the one that was never promised anything.
>>
>>16449182
Well? Tell me the secrets man!

Also, democracy is pretty cool. Better than monarchy I'd say.
>>
>>16449222
My dad was a WWII vet and his advice is always spot-on
>the word "fair" describes the weather
>People are only equal in the graveyard
>Reality is that which doesn't go away when you aren't looking at it. It also doesn't change just because you wish it so. When you deny reality, you suffer. When you fight it, you lose.
>Most people are pretty nice, pretty honest, and pretty smart. But most people don't *think*. They go through life by habit. Decisions are based on habit and emotion. Now, for the vast majority of them in an emergency the good, nice, smart part wakes up and they do great things. But some would rather die than think. And who those people are can surprise you.
Some of my own, for my sons
>If you don't know why you are doing something, why keep doing it?
>Make goals, and work towards them, but reassess your goals every now and then, too
>Imagine you are in a life and death emergency: a fire; a terrorist attack; a flood; whatever. Focus on how you honestly think you would react. Now, work on yourself until you are sure you would be a hero. Now, think of your friends and honestly think about how *they* would react. If you don't think you could count on them in an emergency, stop wasting your time hanging out with them.
That's the basic stuff
>>
>>16449261
I've come by these through experience because my life hasn't been exactly peachy. The last bit is what is making me think though.

That I should be able to count on people in an emergency. I don't know that I have many friends like that.
>>
>>16449261
>If you don't know why you are doing something, why keep doing it?

I gotta start looking for a place to get carbon monoxide poisoning.
>>
>>16449261
your dad sounds like a dick and you sound like a buzzkill
>>
>>16449325
Nope, that was all perfectly sound and solid logic.

You're just being a pissbaby and a whiner.
>>
>>16449261
They're ok, except for the last one, that's some 9fag tier emotional shit
>>
>>16449374
>don't hang around people you couldn't trust when shit hits the fan

How the fuck is that not solid advice.
>>
The more I think about it, the more I realise capitalism is the problem.

Then again, china has fucked up rich kids blazing through money and the lower class lack a lot of human rights.

The young males of our generation are the first to be born with no purpose
>>
>>16449409
>first

Well, apparently it's a cycle, actually.

We WILL figure out a purpose.

95 times out of 100, it's gonna be war.
>>
File: 1446069452898.jpg (1 MB, 1308x2732) Image search: [Google]
1446069452898.jpg
1 MB, 1308x2732
>>16449390
I think he means on friends who are just helpless and would panic. I could be wrong, but of course loyalty must be an imperative trait in old friends given when society collapses.

Unless brought up in junior ROTC, boy scouts, etc, Most kids today dont know how to handle a dangerous situation. Especially if neglected, or the other more common extreme, coddled like a litl' baby.

But yeah, i do believe knowing what to do in such situations are imperative. I plan to make emergency SHTF bags for my family and friends when i get a good job.

Old friends and family may not be ideal "fighters" or good survivalists, but investing in yourself (and them partially) is the most important thing. like-minded peeps would things 1000 times easier tho..
>>
>>16449419
I'm 135 lbs soaking wet and have no combat education beyond a yellow belt in karate when I was eight.

I've settled to just being content with not caring if I live or die.
>>
I'm Y-generation. I work pretty hard and feel guilty when I relax. My parents are very supportive and loving, but they keep telling me I'm special and they have high yet unclear expectations. I do pretty well, so maybe I will be, but it sure as hell doesn't help to have the pressure and I quite often get the sense everyone of the Y-generation was told this by their boomer parents.

I'm mostly worried that whatever notion of 'making it' I have in my head is just a carrot on a stick. I'm in great circumstances and I have nothing to complain about, yet I'm not doing a great job appreciating that. I wish I could just be happier and less aimlessly ambitious.

When I raise my kids I will tell them: 'Be grateful, work hard, help others, and you're not special, but you deserve to be happy.' Or something along those lines.

I read this, which was helpful:
http://waitbutwhy.com/2013/09/why-generation-y-yuppies-are-unhappy.html
>>
>>16449424
Im 130lb, but i getcha anon. While out in the streets, i fear of a violent death. But when really thinking about death in comfort, it is peace, no more worrying. Nothing would really matter the next day, or even the second you "fall asleep". I hope to die quick and painless, whenever "it" comes.

But hey, gotta feel thrill too while alive.. Hope society is still good for 4 more years, still wanna experience drive a kawasaki down a barren desert highway at maximum god damn speed with friends. No tricks tho, not that edgy
>>
>>16448854
By accepting that just because you have a say in your future does bot meab that you can only do things you're 100% go-go enthusiastic about all the time. Even the children of the 1% don't get that.

At some point, you are going to have to do some work. You may even have to grind a bit. This is not a punishment, nor is it a violation of your rights: it is simple logistics. Things need done. You need to do some of them. There will be some subset of these that you will not want to do -everybody has one- but this is irrelevant: they need to be done, and they need to be done by you.

The Greatest Generation tried to build a world where things could be different. They gave it everything they had, even going so far as to raise their children to live in the world they were building. But the world refused to change: the gods of the copybook headings would not be denied, and the experiment failed.

The Boomers saw that something was terribly wrong, and that should come as no surprise. This is not the world they were raised for. They tried to fix it as best they could, but they were raised for a failed vision: they knew no other way forward, and they did not know how to go back. And so they, too, failed.

What can we do to fight millennial ennui? We have little choice but to admit to ourselves that we live in the wreckage of a failed experiment. But just because this way was a dead end doesn't mean there is no way forward. We just have to be willing to step back first, to known-working models, not to stay, but to plot a new course forward from that point. A better way: one that learns from the mistakes of our immediate forebears.

But it starts with some simple truths. Short of some kind of divine intervention, there will always be conflict. There will always be pain. There will always be boredom. There will always be failure. Our forebears tried to prevent them. What we need instead is resilience against them.
>>
>>16449464
>implying you can afford to have kids

My parents had unrealistic expectations of me. They just want me to be happy.
>>
>>16448854
Sing the Ima pop some moar pussies song when she does that ;)
>>
>>16449485
>go back

My grandparents raised four children driving lumber trucks.

(or to be more accurate, they had my mom and left her to raise her three younger siblings while they both worked, but anyway, they could afford it.)

I'd be happy to work, if there was work. The matter is that places of employment are not fucking hiring.
>>
>>16448854
Kill yourself.
>>
>>16449485
>At some point, you are going to have to do some work.

No shit.
Most millennials are willing to work. The kids I know bust their asses constantly. The problem is that there are no jobs, and what jobs are available are limited to certain people.
take a young woman - sure she can find a minimum wage job, but that won't pay the bills. Can't walk into a labor union, not strong enough and most places will reject her simply because of boy's culture. Even with a degree, she couldn't get enough experience because she couldn't afford to work an internship and not eat.

this BS about millennials not wanting to work is sickening. It's just a lame attempting at dusting over the fact that the boomers sent a great deal of jobs out of the country, or give them to immigrants under the table, or they simply refuse to retire and open up positions to younger workers.

or, my favorite, refusing to train for an entry level position because there are so many laid off adult workers, why bother to train the kids entering the workforce when you can hire a 30 year old, not pay to train them, and not even pay them what they're worth in the first place
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.