[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NEET and Shut-In Advice Thread (Version 118)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: 1446479737330.png (148 KB, 355x253) Image search: [Google]
1446479737330.png
148 KB, 355x253
Welcome to the NEET and Shut-in advice thread!
(Version 118, running since Oct. 31st, 2013)

It has been awhile since we've had an old school NEETthread. After returning to NEET life after breaking out of it for 8 months I have a few things to say.

If you want to escape NEET life you have to stay motivated no matter what. I was able to scrape by through five years of it by keeping myself focused and confident even if things looked bleak. Now that I'm NEET again I've found that I've lost all of my motivation and self confidence and it has been a terrible experience. I can see how people can lose their mind after a year or more of this type of life. I haven't been myself and all of the worst parts of my personality are coming to the surface. I know I'm not the only one feeling this way, this feeling seems to be a general trend amongst NEET and shut-in types.

Getting motivated is easier said than done though. Having people to talk to helps a bit, especially if they provide objective feedback instead of sugar coating everything. We once had an environment like that in our IRC Channel NEETadv and I'd like to bring that back if possible. I'm going to try to be around a little more than usual to try to revive things a bit here and in the channel and I will try to do it right this time.

I'm also restarting the 3 day a week workout at 12:30pm and will be restarting the web lessons as well. If anyone is interested in participating in a a live web development lesson let me know in the thread or in the channel.

Take care everyone.

>Forum
https://neetorious.com/forums

>Chat
http://chat.mibbit.com/#[email protected]

>IRC help:
http://pastebin.com/Pi8EqVaX

>Conversation Starters and Past Topics:
http://pastebin.com/KFe5MQE2

>Helpful Links and Resources:
http://pastebin.com/ygPwDUk4

>NEETworkout:
M,W,F @ 12:30pm EST - http://s_ynchtu.be/r/neetadv (no underscore)

>Web Development Lessons
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEy1CySNG4fiQZ82Qa0PYHA
>>
Previous Thread

>>16420188
>>
What does that pic mean?
>>
>>16448488

It was the pic the original OP used when she created the NEET community in 2013. It's tradition really, that's it.
>>
I accidentally cut off this link from the OP.

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1663835
>>
File: image%3A4999.jpg (41 KB, 390x390) Image search: [Google]
image%3A4999.jpg
41 KB, 390x390
>>16448454
Blog post eddition
>>
>>16448454
If I take this general away will you die?
>>
Any other chronically ill NEETs out there?
>>
>>16448454
i always wanted to get into web dev but the human contact frightens m-me!
>>
>>16448976

There's no harm in learning. You can always work on being able to transact with society better as time goes on.
>>
>>16448847
I'm destined to die young, just not the best genes.
also was diagnosed with chronic migraines, but have learned to manage them better now.
>>
File: notthisshitagain.jpg (27 KB, 361x243) Image search: [Google]
notthisshitagain.jpg
27 KB, 361x243
im 25 with a degree in IT although i forgot everything i learned pretty much, have 0 job experience and worst of all: 0 ambition to even get out of bed at a reasonable time.

how do i get a job that pays reasonably (like €1500 after taxes) per month so i can start living on my own instead of leeching off on my parents.

i want a job as long as i don't have to work too much.. zzz
>>
>>16449317

You'll probably have to get some certifications and take some online courses if you want to use your degree. Are you familiar with managing linux servers and environments? Getting into devops is pretty lucrative and with marketing agencies sprouting up all over the place they're in short supply.
>>
>>16449109
what would your advice be for someone who's mental illness throws up numerous communication barriers to societal integration ?
>>
>>16448488
it was one of the few things cpu had on her tablet.
it's easy to pick out of the catalog, and it gets newfriends like yourself to talk
>>
>>16448742
If I take shitposting on anonymous imageboards will you?
>>
>>16450031
It would be extremely painful
>>
>>16450041
You're a big Trip
>>
File: Mcdonalds-90s-logo.svg.png (106 KB, 2000x1516) Image search: [Google]
Mcdonalds-90s-logo.svg.png
106 KB, 2000x1516
>>16450050

For you

*Post sponsored by McDonalds*
>>
>>16449991

I just got rejected for a job based on my inadequate communication skills so I guess I can speak from some experience.

In the programming world most businesses don't want 'real' programmers (your stereotypical quiet possibly autistic types). They want people who dress and talk well with just enough programming skill to fake it. My best advice would be to get involved with a smaller company or non-profit once you have the coding skills to be of assistance. You want to avoid the fast paced environments that will tax your ability to communicate on the corporate level and wear you down. If you can't cut it at a small place then I would try volunteering for a non-profit or farm in your area to hone your communication skills to a point where they can cover up your underlying mental illness.
>>
>>16450031
It would be extremely boring
>>
Just letting you guys know that it's possible to get out of your rut. I was lurking constantly about a year ago and barely even had the gumption to post. Now, I have a job, an apartment with a roommate, some friends, and am relatively stable. It takes time, money, and effort, but it's feasible!
>>
I'm not technically a neet or full shut-in anymore, but this is a continuation of something from a previous thread back in March or April. Someone back then gave me their encouragement, so I just feel like I need to do this follow up.

Just after I started taking the steps to start getting my life back in line to actually try to be somebody thanks to the wonderful support my parents gave me, my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer. I never bothered to look at the statistics. Not because I didn't care, but because I thought no matter what we would fight it and things would be fine. And I'm not unfamiliar with cancer. I should have known better.

She went through hell. Not just normal cancer hell, but a list of problems that the constant stream of nurses we had to update on her history to were in disbelief about. And that's with top notch care and family support. They were even more in disbelief that she was rebounding from her lows so quickly. She was a fighter.

We had a brief month of comfort after surgery, which the surgeon had said went wonderfully and that, while nothing could be certain, we may have quite a bit of time left.

Her health deteriorated extremely quickly not too long after, and after months of suffering she passed away this afternoon. I was with her for a decent amount of time yesterday, and I got to make her as happy as she could be before she fell asleep and I left to let her rest.

I know I should take solace in that she's not suffering anymore; the cancer was starving her to death. But as positive as I'm trying to be, as strong as I know I need to have to be, I'm not sure that I'm going to be okay. I've felt worse as the day went on, and I know it's likely to get even worse from here on out.

Before she finally got the willpower back to start the second round of chemo, which couldn't have been more than three months ago, she said she wanted to live long enough to see me graduate. It really hurts that she'll never get the chance now.
>>
File: 01dogma.jpg (10 KB, 400x270) Image search: [Google]
01dogma.jpg
10 KB, 400x270
>>16450089
Thanks senpai, your story helps me formulate stratagem, yet not:

On the one hand i feel like society should give me pathways to reintegrate, yet on the other i don't want to be sheeple, infact my illness gives me a predilection not to be. So catch 22 headfuckery asside, short of going on anti-psychotics and becoming an drooling zombie how do i become social with actually being social, keep in mind i live in a relatively isolated area ?
>>
>>16450574

I'm sorry anon, really. You've lost your mom at way too young of an age. There's not much I can say to make you feel better but I was in the same position as you almost 6 years ago to this day and it's one of the major reasons I am in the position I am today. Just try to stay strong, she'll want you to stay positive and to keep your life on track.

If you need someone to talk to let me know and I'll drop contact information.
>>
>>16450608

Some people can pull the quiet type off well. There's a way you can be quiet and still be respected but it takes some work. I'm not expert at this but I've seen it work. As long as you're not in some corporate meat grinder you should be ok but quiet people in a corporate environment are seen as weak and easy to boss around and take advantage of, try to avoid that kind of setting if you can.
>>
>>16450788
Thank you. And please don't cut yourself short; what you said really is meaningful to me.

As bad as we had it since she became ill, the time I had taking care of her was precious to me. It showed me how strong I can be and how important helping people is to me. And it was time we might not have had together in another situation. I was already planning to go into a health care related field, even though it's just operating diagnostic tech, and this is extra motivation to get where I want to be. She made me stronger, and I can make her life and death meaningful by moving forward.

I don't want to bother for your info, particularly when I'm not sure when I'm gonna have the emotional capacity to make good on it for a while, but I really appreciate it.
>>
I've been a NEET for the past 3 years, not quite a shut in, but have
spent a lot of time alone because of my incompatibility with society.
I see it all as being so pointless and fake. I've tried and dropped
out of community college at least 3 times because of lack of focus and
motivation. Adderrall was prescribed to me but barely helps. I just
landed a job at a deli after seeking to better my lazy ass life, but
find I hate it even though its easy as crap. Its sort of a pride
thing- I should be graduated from college by now, but instead am
serving sandwiches in a hairnet to kids just out of high school who
actually have futures. (I graduated in 2011). I've considered suicide
but am not quite there yet..in time, at this rate, there's no doubt
I'll end my pathetic life. I want to quit my job- I already have two no
call no shows within my first two weeks from accidentally sleeping in, and
like I said, I find it miserable. I also want to drop my classes (I'm
failing them anyway) and just become a shut in until some miracle
happens and I find a new place to live. Am on SSI and live with my
parents. We don't get along. I'm a total leech and feel hollow and
hopeless inside. Have been experimenting with cigarettes and alcohol
and tried shrooms in a very self destructive manner. To top it all
off, my parents are trying to get me medicated for anger issues...
Hate myself a lot, and feel backed into a corner. I just want to curl
up and play vidya til I die. I hate money and sucking up to people aka
"life". What do? Inb4 I'm screwed.

Sorry for the weird layout, I wrote this on my phone.
>>
>>16450800
yeah, that's my problem see, im a big guy, and it comes across as intimidating. I have a few years experience in office environments and almost double that in the hospitality work place before the mental illness really set it, what im really trying to ask is does anyone have experience as a mentaly ill indiviual (like i mean hearing voices, severe mood swings and violent thoughts) in finding a job with a gaping couple year hole in your resume and being able to hold it down past the inital faking it stage ?

Sorry i know this is a very specific question, but i'm hoping given this generals neiche that someone else might have some specific pointers. Also thanks to those that have already attempted to help :)
>>
>>16450945
You are way too old to be this stupid. If this tendency continues it will be dangerous for you. You where supposed to get over this kind of thought a year ago
>>
>>16448454
I was a NEET for many years. The past year I've spent working. It's fucking awful and I'd go back to being a shut-in if I could find a way to support it. I never understood why NEETs spend so much time complaining about their predicament, all I've ever really wanted to do is stay home alone all day.
>>
>>16450608
Honestly if your doctor suggests antipsychotics you should probably try them, because they can help significantly. They only make you a zombie if they aren't working properly, so if that happens you can just try something else. I've been taking them off and on for a couple years and everytime I restart them I immediately notice major improvements in my mood and thought patterns (taking them for BPD).
>>
>>16451117
You go to therapy. There's not much else to do, if you're this far gone you're not just going to get out of your own (unless, maybe, you have proper motivation, which you don't).
>>
>>16451426
apply yourself more
I love my jobs and still have free time.
I wouldnt speak to anyone if it werent for my work and since I'm always trying to become better I learn to open up to people. Being a lone sucks.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.