[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is success?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 8
File: belong.jpg (11 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
belong.jpg
11 KB, 500x334
i'm a modern girl, but i fold in half so easily when i put myself in the picture of success
>>
>>16447105

I'M A CREEP, I'M A WEIRDO. WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING HERE.

Seriously, grow up.
>>
>>16447105
>what is success?

Being a virgin until marriage or at the very least not being a harlot. You'd be a rare gem in this day and age. Having self respect.
>>
File: jennylewis11.jpg (48 KB, 400x404) Image search: [Google]
jennylewis11.jpg
48 KB, 400x404
>>16447108
>Seriously, grow up.
i'm trying :(

>>16447110
>Being a virgin until marriage or at the very least not being a harlot. You'd be a rare gem in this day and age. Having self respect.
well, it's too late for all of that. anything else? :/
>>
Stop going on Facebook. Just stop. People only put the most extreme edited versions of themselves on there, making them look perfect while you feel shitty for having flaws.

Success should only be by your own measures. Are you happy? Are you actively working towards your (realistic) goals in life? Then you're sucessful.
>>
>>16447114
never really did the facebook thing. would have caused a lot of family drama and i'd sooner just avoid it.

what is happiness? i'm worknig toward goals but all the colors seem darker light and i don't know what that means but it's not a good sign
>>
>>16447113
>i'm trying :(

I know, OP, I am sorry I was so terse and mean (I apologise and admit it was not very constructive).

Realise that the adumbrated lives you see on social media, the TV and other media platforms do not exist or exist only for an ideological purpose to create dissatisfaction to generate cultural 'needs'. If you want academic substantiation for that claim, read Baudrillard's 'Simulacra and Simulation' and how we live in an age of stoking the fumes of consumption.

To be a 'successful' human is not one end goal. It is diverse, and it varies from person to person and their situated experiences. Use the system you live in to your advantage, but do not be fooled into thinking it contains the answers to what it means to be 'successful'.

Also, this is not 'selling out', it is being realistic. See below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1yfVKsB8wU
>>
File: fearnoevil.jpg (19 KB, 186x204) Image search: [Google]
fearnoevil.jpg
19 KB, 186x204
>>16447141
yeah, i'm well versed on the "success is what you make it" thing. but i feel so far behind all my friends and everyone i grew up with.

bet i'll be living at home when i'm 30 still (27 now). it's just difficult to work and do school. i'm making progress toward a career, but for now i work a very low paying job while going to school. most of my money goes to expensive organic foods because that's something i value, but even if i were to move out and live exclusively on food stamps my income wouldn't cover rent costs. not to mention all the other expenses. like laundry detergent and retinol creams. and medical stuff.

i'm really just not sure how well i belong here in this society. would maybe help if i had a social life, so that i felt somewhat connected. idk.

guess it doesn't matter.
>>
>>16447168

Success is not simply what you make it, it is about living authentically and not concerning yourself with the tropes of success that are thrust upon you. I can tell you I have many conventionally successful friends, who are surgeons and lawyers with nice homes, and they are very empty people and admire people who 'follow their own beat'.

I am unemployed, OP, actively looking for work and have spent a lot of time and money on education. I am relatively poor and have medical issues myself, so I can really understand where you are coming from, but you can be successful by using all your will and resources towards and objective you feel resonates with you.

Existing within society is always a compromise. Freud knew this and wrote, 'Civilisation and its Discontents'. I recommend picking up a copy, it can be found second hand in most second hand book stores for nothing or online.

Compromise and using the society you live in to the best of your ability and circumstances is all you can do. Make connections because they make mirrors to see different parts of yourself, to explore new aspects of yourself concealed from yourself. You have capacities and skills you can develop and do not even know about yet.

Have some chill, tunes, OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghw26g3h6L0
>>
File: sadnessgirl.jpg (58 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
sadnessgirl.jpg
58 KB, 640x427
i can sleep 12 hours. you'll never see my eyes.

it's strange that even when i'm working hard and making legitimate progress in this "success" thing i still wake up feeling empty and alone every single day.

and now i'm mixing genres. forgive me jesus.

>>16447192
your post reads truthfully, but feels trite. maybe it's because you're just repeating truths we've all known for most of our lives. doesn't mean it's not helpful, but i'm in no mood for being helped. think it's easier being whispy and obtuse.

at least you're posting good music, while rehashing tired "counterculture" concepts.
>>
>>16447211

It feels trite because you have not experienced the satisfaction of pursuing something that is alternative to what you are told is 'success'. You do not have a passion yet. You know this already, because you realise that following certain steps in society do not equate to feelings of satisfaction. You have not actually taken that childhood advice seriously, and you should have. Sometimes it takes some more 'academic' slant for people to actually follow it, so I gave you references of how the world is to show why it still matters.

>no mood for being helped.

Welp, not sure what I can do. Have some more tunes, miss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh6Qla-OQ-M
>>
File: swordandbook.jpg (236 KB, 840x585) Image search: [Google]
swordandbook.jpg
236 KB, 840x585
>>16447231
idk man. you're making a lot of assumptions about me. we would probably make decent friends if we had the chance. i like you.

so please shut up and spam my thread with songs. i'm gonna go meditate now. enlightenment is just around the corner.
>>
>>16447243
Well, I only have a few 'wispy and obtuse' statements to run with ;) I tease. You probably just need change, or you have a bout of anhedonia for whatever reason. I do not know, I am just trying to figure your cards out to be perfectly honest.

>we would probably make decent friends if we had the chance. i like you.

You do not seem too bad yourself. Where are you from, anon?

>so please shut up and spam my thread with songs.

Can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkWX4IGjA7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSPaXgAdzE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVNgv-VVNlo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX3MYsc_A98
>>
what you need is some good old fashioned discipline, that's what you need.
>>
File: disappointed.jpg (86 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
disappointed.jpg
86 KB, 1280x720
>>16447243
Holy shit, stfu attention whore.
>>
File: hungryghosts.gif (59 KB, 480x317) Image search: [Google]
hungryghosts.gif
59 KB, 480x317
>>16447251
i'm from usa, and it's bedtime. maybe if the thread doesn't die we can chat more tomorrow. unless i don't feel like it.

>>16447263
yep. trying here, too.

>>16447267
lol
>>
File: circle copy.jpg (37 KB, 600x587) Image search: [Google]
circle copy.jpg
37 KB, 600x587
>>16447251
oh and i like your songs. you can post more if you want. i'll listen to all of them, no matter how long it takes. these four weren't as good as the others. also i knew these bands so get more hipster as you go on, if you choose to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6h95jpWgVs
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.