[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Resume Thread r8, h8, masturb8
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4
File: resumetest.jpg (255 KB, 804x1207) Image search: [Google]
resumetest.jpg
255 KB, 804x1207
Resume Thread

r8, h8, masturb8
>>
First, consider using a phrase different to 'academically gifted'.

Try:
>I am a graduate of X institution and achieve a GPA of X. In addition to these grades, which are a testament to my analytical and problem-solving capacities, I was the recipient of X awards/recognitions.

This substantiates your claim, and does not sound like hubris, but a profile of your skills which they can see have substantiation by others than just your own words.

The same needs to be said for these 'excels at teaching and communicating ideas'. Says who? What evidence do you have for this? What are you going to say at an interview when they ask for examples? Include this, if only in brief.

Underneath your position/experiences, you should write a paragraph of four to give sentences explaining the role and focusing on both the technical and interpersonal development undertaken in that role in relation to the Selection Criteria of the job description you are applying for.

You also need a Cover Letter. This should gesture to your resume and give your assessors/potential employers reason to read further.

Also, what is 'errata'? The plural of 'erratum', writing/printing errors? Why is that a header in your resume? Do you mean 'extra'?
>>
File: Resume FTV-4.jpg (625 KB, 1700x2200) Image search: [Google]
Resume FTV-4.jpg
625 KB, 1700x2200
My objective changes depending on what I'm applying for. What am I even qualified for?

>>16447013
I'm not the most experienced, but I don't like your summary. Dean's List and other academic achievements rightfully go in your education section, and nowhere else. "Diverse set of hobbies" is a waste of space; everyone has hobbies. If you really want to put your hobbies, put it at the bottom of your resume.

Either make the top part an objective or a summary of skills, basically. The rest of your stuff is fine
>>
>>16447013
>so speshal and gifted
>periods on sentence fragments
>random capitalization
F-
>>
>>16447107
My personal opinion is that objectives on resumes always come out sounding hokey. I've never included an objective on any of my resumes, even though I know it is often advised. I am doing just fine. If the rest of your resume is strong, you'll be okay.
>>
>>16447152
Thanks Anon. What should I put instead? As you can see, I still don't have *quite* enough to fill out the page.
>>
>>16447013
OP, what kind of job are you applying for?

Just saying, the whole firearms/military stuff in the objective sounds good to service members and gun friendly citizens, but it can be a bit shocking and even offputting under certain circumstances.

I suggest removing that in favor of something else describing your skill set.
>>
File: resumetest.jpg (329 KB, 784x1567) Image search: [Google]
resumetest.jpg
329 KB, 784x1567
>>16447093
Okay. Seems like a lot of that can go into my cover letter

>Underneath your position/experiences, you should write a paragraph of four to give sentences explaining the role and focusing on both the technical and interpersonal development undertaken in that role in relation to the Selection Criteria of the job description you are applying for.

it's just a sale position for the holidays at a sporting goods store. but for general stuff, I thought that's what my little list was for.

>errata
what else do I call the stuff that doesn't fit under work or education?

>>16447172
it was specifically for gander mountain

here is a fixed one for my field

one of my issues is that i have a lot of random shit that is useful, and would be useful in a lot of situations, but no idea how to put it in. i mean, what if my experience driving huge trucks around off road is something an employer is looking for?
>>
>>16447013

First thing I noticed was the objective. I don't think you need it.
>>
>>16447152

I agree. Objectives are outdated and should be disposed of. On my resume I replaced it with a bullet pointed section titled "Qualifications" where I basically outline the top 5 most relevant skills I have for whatever position I am applying for.

I do recruiting/interviewing currently and I can't stand objectives. No one ever modifies them to be relevant, so they make themselves worse. I currently recruit for a sports stadium and I received a resume yesterday that said "Objective: to obtain an internship in the field of psychology". Basically you are telling me first thing "I don't really want to do your job and will leave it for something closer to my objective ASAP"
>>
>>16447013

HR/interviewer here

your objective/jerk off session is offputting. The first 4 sentences should be expressed in your cover letter, not your resume. The last 2 sentences are strange and innapropriate for an resume. It prompts me to think "this is a person that lacks tact and understanding of what is appropriate in a situation. Could I trust this person to represent my company 100% on brand without supervision?"

Keep your resume 100% factual with little opinion and fluff. Think that interviewers are not actually reading your full resume, so don't give them any reason to put your resume down, especially up top.
>>
>>16447107

You are right about hobbies. I read a resume a few days ago that had "5 years of paint ball experience" on it and I told everyone in the office and we laughed and laughed and laughed.

The worse thing I've ever seen by far is someone putting ON THEIR RESUME (right under their name header) a full page and half essay on why she has never been appreciated at any job she works at and she needs a full time job that will appreciate her and what she provides.
>>
>>16447188
>>16447201
>keep it factual

okay. I've never needed a resume before, as you can see :^)
>>
>>16447201
>>16447216
Any tips for me, guys? I'm the other resume in the thread >>16447107
>>
>>16447188
>On my resume I replaced it with a bullet pointed section titled "Qualifications" where I basically outline the top 5 most relevant skills I have for whatever position I am applying for.

how do you phrase it?
first person?

>I am proficient in extracting and creating vector data from a variety of sources

or

>Excels in creating and maintaining networks and computer systems
>>
>>16447013

You use the words "create" and "develop" repeatedly. Try not to repeat like that when you have so few points.

Try to use words that imply strengths. "Provided leadership for...." "Managed...". Highlight any time you were responsible for mentoring others; companies like shit like that.
>>
>>16447216
>I read a resume a few days ago that had "5 years of paint ball experience" on it and I told everyone in the office and we laughed and laughed and laughed.

A recruiter and his colleagues laughing over something I put in a resume or cover letter is a big fear of mine.
>>
I did my resume in notepad. Just put the absolutely necessary information there. "Worked here, did this. Worked here, did this." Got the job.

All of the formatting and shit that people go nuts over is ridiculous. There is specific information employers are looking for, tell them what they need to know, that's it.

That's my unpopular opinion, anyway.
>>
>>16447227
>You use the words "create" and "develop" repeatedly.

I know, but really those are the most accurate words for what I do. I rip data from technical info and make it into a pretty pretty picture for my customers. sometimes i make a powerpoint and babystep them through the information.
>>
This is my most bullshit, generic qualifications section; I spruce it up and take shit out depending on the posting. The only time I "fluff" a resume is in the first line. I like to use 3 bullshit buzzword synergy bullshit words to describe myself as a replacement for my objective. I think it speaks to the employer more. Instead of me telling you what I want from you with an objective, I'm telling you what I can give you.

>Highly organized, ambitious, and detail oriented.
>Proven ability to lead and mentor others.
>excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
>Certified typing speed o 84 WPM with 100% accuracy.
>Proficient with Microsoft Office, Mac and PC.
>Comfortable working individually, or in a team environment.
>>
man you guys are way more helpful than those shitty resume building sites

thanks!
>>
>>16447246 this was in response to this >>16447225

>>16447234
The best way to avoid that is keep in 100% focused. Don't put any hobbies or anything that isn't substantiated by your resume. Don't make up things, people tell you all the time that you'll get away with it but you don't always. Today I read a resume from a girl claiming to be on the dean's list of a local CC. I go to that CC and I know there is not a deans list or anything similar. I read a resume last year where someone claimed to have a Masters in "Janitorial Sciences". When you put something on your resume just make sure you could back it up in an interview.
>>
>>16447183
It's pretty self defeating to say "what use is driving huge trucks?" What did you learn from it? Learn to extrapolate and come up with something meaningful from the experience.

At the very least, you might be able to get customer service, or "working as part of a team".

Teamwork is huge for a lot of companies, since you'll most likely be working with a lot of other people to accomplish a common goal.

Don't sell yourself short. Use intricate phrasing without seeming like a douche. You learned more than you think you have, and you know it.
>>
So does watching these "40 minute Tutorial on Python" videos qualify me to put "Python Programming" under "skills" ?
The job I'm going for is completely unrelated to IT for example. Same thing with SQL and Java.

Here's one such video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPvGqX-TXP0

Can I just sit through a few of these, type out a few lines, and then say that I "know" the language on a resume? If I actually end up needing any of it, I will learn very quickly. I just want to get interviews...
>>
>>16447250
>"Janitorial Sciences"
fanciest term for handyman i've heard

>>16447253
oh it's useful, but I've got no idea how to worm it in, or even if it's something they would like.
>>
>>16447255
In my experience, most companies are still in that 'fuck you, fuck reality' phase where instead of providing you a realistic test environment, they will hand you a pen and a paper and expect you to whip up a perfect program on paper.

The way I program is notepad in one window, and documentation in the other. Ain't nobody got time for rote memorization.
>>
>>16447250
I actually got my PhD in JS (Janitorial Sciences) with concentration in Mop Technique and substantial research in Wet Floor Safety Ethics so it can be done.
>>
>>16447259
Wait what?
I was just saying that I want to add "Python Programming" under skills while looking for an entry level job.

Do they actually make you write out code for them? What?

What if the job I want is in finance, like to be a financial analyst assistant? Would writing that I know Java on my resume really hurt? Assuming I watched the video I mentioned and have followed along writing with it, etc., which essentially teaches it for the most part, but in like 1 hour at the most.

Would that be bad?
>>
File: michaeljackson.jpg (11 KB, 417x600) Image search: [Google]
michaeljackson.jpg
11 KB, 417x600
>>16447107

I'm guessing this resume is geared towards working in the film industry? because my first question is why is your BA in psychology but your relevant coursework is 100% not psychology. Never underestimate classes like "cross cultural prospective" or "inter personal relationship blah blah blah" that I'm sure you too as a psych major. Companies eat that shit up.

Try to make your osaka university entry more concise and clear. I had to read it more than once to figure it out. Anything that can't be scanned for the most important info is the enemy of resume readers. Also, I personally prefer education at the bottom. I care what you've done with your learning much more than education.

Try to make your bullet points on your experience more concise. Use more bullet points, with less words. Your first entry is sort of confusing. Your first sentence ends with "booking clients" and the your second sentence starts with "booking clients" basically. Try to make that more clear and add more responsibilities, 2 lines per job is too short.

Overall, reading your bullet points, I don't fully understand what you did in your jobs. Make it more clear or explain it thoroughly in your cover letter.

I've never seen "leadership experience" on a resume and it made me cringe a little. Change that to "volunteer experience" if thats what it is or put it under work. From the heading and from the entries I don't understand why it is separated like that.

>>16447183
Don't put "continued below" on a resume. How stupid do you think your reader is?
>>
>>16447268
It would help if you didn't get tested on it. But if they do test you and you blank out, you're fucked, hard.
>>
>>16447237

It depends on the job. Not just the position but the culture of the company. You got lucky or you work in a field that is not expected to have great communication/writing skills. Things like mechanics, computer science etc

Or you got an entry level job that takes basically everyone and tries to mold them into their ideal worker.
>>
>>16447271
Thanks Anon. I always thought companies weren't impressed by psych classes. Sadly, I learned a lot of cool stuff, but all the class titles are hopelessly generic: Cognitive Psychology, Intimate Relationships, Health Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, etc.
>>
>>16447256
>fanciest term for handyman i've heard

Kind of fits with how everything in the world has to have some kind of fancy, professional-sounding title now.
>>
>>16447272
I see. But I'm not lying if I've watched the hour long video and practiced a bit and understand the basics of the language. Likewise, if I'm not applying for programming positions, I don't see why they would ask. Hmm. I don't think I'm lying, if they ask then I can honestly say that I'm familiar and sturdy with the foundations and basics of each language. I will explain that I was self-motivated to buy books on each one and dedicate my time to self-teaching, etc., through many resources like physical books, online PDFs and textbooks, as well as free courses and tutorials, even though I may only dab in these things.

I hope this is ok..
>>
>>16447183
>>16447183

"driving huge trucks around" demonstrates your ability to work efficiently and on task without supervision.
>>
>not doing your CV and resumes in LaTeX

Disgusting.
>>
>>16447283
as a math major, this. holy shit you guys it's night and day.
>>
>>16447276

Abnormal and cognitive psych are 100000% relevant. Employers will think you have good interpersonal skills, abilities to read people, and abilities to resolve problems based on your understanding of psychology. Not only that, but if you are trying to get a job that involves any kind of marketing, those courses are desirable.
>>
I'm leaving out so, so many things on my resume though, simply because I want to condense it to one page. And I include a link to a LinkedIn account at the top where anyone could read about me in great detail
>>
>>16447289
1 page resume is a bullshit myth. Don't leave stuff out because you want it to be one page, thats the most retarded thing I've ever heard.
>>
>>16447295
>1 page resume is a bullshit myth.
That's only true if you're applying into senior positions.
If you're joe fuck without a career path, you bet that candy ass 1 page resumes make a difference.

If you have to leave something off a resume, make sure its the irrelevant part. Tailor it. I only want to know whats relevant to the job.
>>
>>16447295
>employer receives a one-and-a-half page resume for entry level receptionist job
kek
Resumes are not the same thing as CVs.
>>
>>16447306
>>16447308

As an interviewer, I can tell you I'd rather read a 1 1/2 page resume over a 1 page resume that has been condensed, but if you want to under explain your qualifications and underwhelm your reader because you don't want to use an extra page, feel free.
>>
>>16447271
>Don't put "continued below" on a resume. How stupid do you think your reader is?

I am autistic and like to have everything spelled out
>>
>>16447271
Also, is it even worth putting Osaka U in my resume? It's obviously just a study abroad trip, but I'm not sure if it's impressive or a "meh" to employers
>>
>>16447183

Take out the whole objective. If you like having an objective, take out the last 2 sentences. Those are ideas that should be conveyed in your cover letter.
>>
>>16447317

Yeah, take it out. Its a nice talking point in your cover letter or in an interview. Try condensing it into your main university, I'm guessing you went through a program at your university? Something short like "participated to study abroad trip in Japan". That way you can talk about it without employers being like "wtf where is that on your resume".

Thats sort of a pet peeve of mine. If you want to leave jobs off your resume, thats fine, but its dead to both of us. I don't want to hear about any shit you didn't write down because I most likely won't believe you. If its worth talking about in a interview its worth putting on a resume. In this situation its okay because its a school. I'm just venting I guess.
>>
>>16447306
That's what I mean. I am tailoring my resumes.

I joined and committed to a ridiculously huge amount of clubs in college, everything imaginable, and worked lots of odd jobs in high school, and I received lots of scholarships and awards, mostly just before college.

But my current resume has almost none of that because it doesn't relate to the positions I want. 90% of the clubs I did don't even get mentioned at all, unless it's REALLY related like "The Actuarial Society" and I'm applying for an actuary position.

Is this the right way to go about it?
I could fill up 2-3 pages easily with just things like this. But I figured I could just put all that on LinkedIn and leave the 1-page resume as simple as possible.
>>
>>16447093

>write a paragraph under your work experience

no. you should never do this. no one reads your fucking love letters to yourself; its already bad enough we had to read people jerking themselves off in their CV. I hate paragraph form resumes. This person has it neatly conveyed in bullet point style, which is much better.
>>
>>16447331
In other words, my 3-page resume which was filled with "Volunteered as a Math Tutor " "Volunteered as a Music Tutor" "Volunteered as Taekwondo Instructor" "Camp Counselor" "Barista" "International Work-camp Volunteer" and about 30 (no exaggeration I was extremely busy 6am-1am every day for Freshman and Sophomore year of college) all gets left off my resume because I'm looking for an actuarial assistant position.

Is that the way to do this?

I've tried including a list of "Other Activities: ___" very briefly at the bottom, just listing a small string of titles, but even that would become a massive paragraph so I've limited that down to like 5 or 7 eye-catching things that an interviewer could ask about like "International Volunteer" or "Certified Martial Arts Instructor" etc.
>>
>>16447331
You should include that stuff, but in moderation. Receiving awards and scholarships shows a lot of things; self-motivation, focus, ambition, leadership above average performance etc.If you are like 50 it would be weird, but if you're right out of college, then yes, you should put your awards and scholarships. As long as they are relevant/merits based. Like if you got some dumb "pringles once you pop" scholarship or something then no.

Don't put clubs. Some employers specifically won't hire people who list any kind of club/affiliation because they don't want to be accused of hiring bias based on similar or opposing views (like if someone was in a pro-life club or something, its irrelevant and potential prejudicial info)
>>
>>16447349
They are all very good, but I just don't have room on one page, really.
Plus they are mostly awards for Good Citizenship, although they are nationally recognized awards, but those merits would be obvious from anyone talking to me because I have volunteering experience more than anyone I know. That and a few scholarships and academic awards from high school, and Certification of Biliteracy, etc., just random stuff. I can see why it would be nice to include, but I just don't have room unless I put "Awards" on its own page or something.

Well I do indicate that I was Marketing Director of a certain club, and Public Relations Chair for another, because I think those are relevant and essential pieces of information. And I put that I was in the Actuarial Society because I'm trying to get an actuarial internship, not that it would help at all, but it seemed ok in those cases alone no?
>>
Should I list my fraternity name at all?

I've heard both sides to this and I'm leaning towards not doing that but I don't know. Some say it is good, others say absolutely never mention it.
>>
>>16447371
No don't do it. Cringey as fuck.

>>16447367
No one said you had to list them all
>>
>>16447385
Ok, will not list fraternity. I agree it's cringey to be honest, so I was surprised to see people online suggest it.
I'll try to list a few of them then. thanks.
>>
Uh, my resume is three-pages long. And that was what was required for my applications, as well as a two-page cover letter.

>MFW these dot pointed and seem so skimpy on detail.

Is there a different standard for academic/policy jobs?
>>
Resumes should be no longer than one page. Use clear, concise points. Don't include references: they will request them if desired.

Source: professional resume liar who has obtained multiple jobs using fake information on resumes

Here's a freebie: If you were a NEET in the mid to late 2000's, you were employed at Blockbuster, Movie Gallery, or Circuit City. Three major retailers that went down the drain. Impossible to verify past information.
>>
Tried listing all my clubs and societies in college alone on LinkedIn, but it goes over the allowed character amount (which is 500 characters), so even there I have to trim down. Freshman and sophomore year were just so busy with exploring new things
>>
>>16447461

No one gives two shits about those things. All it tells me is you lack job experience.

IMO, working at McDonald's would have done you better than those "clubs". Being in a club doesn't tell me shit except you're probably posh enough to not have to work for a living. Mommy and daddy support you. I can't use employees like that.

My advice? Better to not discuss that
>>
>>16447499
But starting junior year, I did a complete flip and dropped all but like 1 club and started working 2 jobs instead. So I include that too obviously.

LinkedIn is something of a place where I can just dump my "full" resume without worrying about length too much, yes? Like if someone wants to see my full history, they can use LinkedIn and see that I was a camp counselor for 3 years or an English tutor for 7 months, etc. right?
>>
>>16447515

Just be careful what you put on the internet.

And I personally don't use LinkedIn, or any social network. Then again I lie about everything, but even if I were honest I wouldn't use it. Don't need random people knowing everything about me.

As far as I'm concerned, someone only needs to know that you were a camp counselor if you're applying for a position where those skills are useful.
>>
>>16447517
I was told that if you don't use LinkedIn and Facebook, employers will think you are very strange and trying to hide something from them. I was also told that "in today's age", LinkedIn is absolutely essential. So I don't know..

I agree with what you said, but even the last time I went into a job interview, i got a "notice" on LinkedIn saying that someone had been viewing my account the day of the interview, so it was clear that they did check it, but at the time it was empty, so I have no way of knowing what they thought.

But in that regard, I also see social media as a way to say things that couldn't really be asked about in the interview, because no interviewer is going to say "So it says on Facebook you did X", but I was thinking I could certainly use it by saying I know "X, Y, and Z" and I completed projects of "X, Y, and Z" on social media becaue it sends that impession to anyone who finds it, but not like a resume where I have to be accountable for it.
>>
>>16447526

I personally wouldn't work for any employer that put weight into "social media". IMO, it just gives potential employers a legal way to discriminate against you.

Say, on a resume, you don't put a picture of yourself. Could be an issue if you're black. But on your LinkedIn and Facebook, oh look a black guy. Resume discarded. Or someone from HR digs around enough and finds out you're in a religion they don't like or you have a car made by a company they hate. Just more reasons to lose a potential job.

A resume only exists to get you an interview. The interview is your bread and butter.

I'd suggest foreign companies. I work for an Asian company as an Assembly Supervisor. Did I have prior experience being a supervisor in Assembly? Fuck no, but I told them I did. And I do my job well because I'm quick on my feet. Hell, you know how many days I worked in a factory prior to this job? Two. And got let go after the first day both times, lol.
>>
>>16447499
Sounds like someone's bitter they didn't do no fancy college learning
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.