[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>just graduated from college with a useless degree >got
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 1407489175219.gif (2 MB, 250x187) Image search: [Google]
1407489175219.gif
2 MB, 250x187
>just graduated from college with a useless degree
>got a full time job that is shit and I'm ashamed of it
>want to work in film
>no qualifications or connections at all
>looking for general office work, but I'm afraid of getting complacent and accumulating ultimately irrelevant experience

Please advise.
>>
>>16446751
What's the degree?
>>
>>16446751
In exactly the same boat except not film - even worse - Theatre.

Quit job, got sick of seeing old school friends at the restaurant I worked at and having to serve them.

Whilst not perfect life now, the freedom has meant that I have been able to say yes to many more projects and scrape together a living. Overall, you should do what you want to do. Even if you fail, at least you fail doing something you love rather than asking customers what kind of fucking noodles they want for the rest of your life
>>
>>16446827
Psychology B.A. with no plans to go to grad school.

>>16446942
You an actor, Anon? Break a leg out there. I want to work in casting.
>>
>>16446751
There is not much you can do. This is what the world is like nowadays. Almost everyone has a degree and even fields such as Law and Radiography are saturated.
>>
>>16447051
/thread
I know a guy who was a Journalism major who now works in Starbucks
>>
>>16447043
Psychology B.A.

So what kind of work do you do?
>>
>>16447066
I'd say journalism is in the same tier as psychology is.

>>16447076
I work in an office retrieving medical records for life insurance applications. It has nothing to do with anything.
>>
>>16447095
Was social work not an option for you?
>>
>>16447095
Would you like to work in healthcare? Your current job can get you the connections you need to land a job in a fulfilling medical career. Get a two year degree in nursing or, if you don't like touching people, medical coding. Heck, it'll probably take you one year if your generals transfer.

Source: I make over 65k a year in medical coding one year after graduating.

Source 2: Mother is a nurse. And healthcare facility has 10,000 openings for nurses.
>>
>>16447099
I wanted to work in film. I figured a sensible place to start would be an office position at any entertainment company. After about a month, I just started looking into normal office work and that's where I am today.

>>16447109
Thanks for the advice, Anon, but I want to work in the entertainment industry, and I honestly have no interest whatsoever in healthcare. Plus, this current job has no connections. There's 20 people in this office, and although I'm speaking to doctors and hospitals all day, I'm more like a telemarketer they can't hang up on.
>>
>>16447115
What about film/entertainment industry draws you in? How cultivated/ well read are you?
>>
>>16447135
I think movies are great, and I'd love to be part of them in any way. At the same time, my pipe dream is to be an actor, but I don't have the confidence for that. I live vicariously through actors and would love to work with them, to be that guy who gives them the opportunity to make it big. As for how well read, cinema-wise? I'm maybe one small step above total pleb.
>>
>>16447043
What the fuck?

That's the degree I have. I don't make a lot of money but I have four fucking jobs and supported my deadbeat waifu for 6 fucking years. Come on man. There more to this story than you say.
>>
>>16447185
What jobs do you work? Are they relevant to your degree?
>>
>>16447109
Not the person you replied to, but I was interested in maybe going into medical coding. Do you like it? Was it hard to find a job?
>>
>>16447164
Well I have no experience with film/entertainment, but I would suggest studying it as much as you can in your free time. There's a lot to learn online. Read all you can and read not just cinema, I imagine all literature would benefit you. Read as much as you can, is always good general advice but for breaking through the entertainment to industry seems especially appropriate. I think this would also help you understand exactly what you want, and then you'll have a better idea on what it would take to go for it. And also you'd be sure it was what you wanted to do. Until then, at least you have any job at all. Others more qualified in psychology careers can advise you here
>>
>>16447197
I like medical coding very much! In addition to getting good pay, I get to work from home and set my own schedule. If you want to work a job where you don't have to interact with people much, it's a good fit for you. Do you find the field of medicine interesting? The biggest part of the job is reading medical charts, and I find them fascinating. But if this bores you, stay far far away.

My first job out of school was coding for a doctor's office, and I honestly found it boring as hell. Doctor's offices are very routine places, it's all physicals, injections, and routine lab tests. You get maybe one or two interesting cases a day. Thankfully, my second and current coding job, which I got with my aforementioned year of experience, is coding for a hospital, which is far more challenging and interesting. Hospital coding typically requires 2-5 years of experience, so be prepared to slog through the boring doctor's office stuff at first. Or heck, if you like easy work, good for you!

If you decide to go for it, make sure you go to a school whose coding program is accredited through CAHIIM. CAHIIM's website has all of their accredited schools listed. When you finish a program through an accredited school, you qualify to take a test and get extra fancy credentials when you pass, such as an RHIT.

Finding my first coding job was impossible until I graduated and got my credential. That was my golden ticket. The second I finished school, I got a job offer right away. I tried for a year before that and had zero luck, not even an interview. Your chances will improve if you can first land another job in healthcare that doesn't require a degree, such as a registrar, in order to get your foot in the door. I found registrar work very easily through a temp agency.

Good luck!
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 246x315) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 246x315
>>16446751
Film reject here. I have a degree of sorts, have been in two competitions, participate in unpaid film festival that rolls around, and yet nobody in media will hire me due to my age. Thinking I won't take it seriously.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.