[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where to meet women who like intelligent men?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9
File: 1234.png (1 MB, 650x975) Image search: [Google]
1234.png
1 MB, 650x975
This might sound a little bit arrogant (because it is), but in most of my friendship groups I've always been regarded as 'the intelligent one'. I'm not a real intellectual, but I go to a good university and consistently get high grades, and I have a genuine interest in some higher-brow hobbies such as literature, world cinema, and classical music. I also enjoy sports and getting drunk so I've typically had fairly normie friends, but I'm looking to branch out and meet girls who might actually share my interests and even be attracted to them, so I don't have to worry about hiding them.

So where can I meet women who are attracted to intelligence? Or at least find some female friends who share my interests?
>>
>>16446198
Where do you live? You need to find a big city, because that's where they are.

At university, there are probably like film, literature and film clubs you'd find them at. Artsy neighborhoods, near/in/around museums, museum openings, gallery openings, etc.
>>
>>16446198
Poetry readings, mate
>>
>>16446216
I'm currently in a university town which is absolutely sports-mad. It's one of the best universities in the world for sport and I pass future Olympians on campus every day, but I think this comes at the expense of the arts scene a little bit.

I'll probably be moving to a bigger city next year, so maybe I'll look out for those things.
>>
Not the internet
>>
>>16446198
>normie
Invalidated. Get the fuck out of here, faggot.
>>
>>16446262
I think it's quite a useful word actually. What's your issue with it?
>>
>>16446198
I'm in this situation too, but I'm not really into sports or drinking. Just want some girl to talk about books, music and art etc with. I don't really want the kind of girl who's an art major though, just someone into art
>>
>>16446281
Its a derogatory term for people who do normal things and is often used, like you did, to imply that they are less intelligent than the speaker. Often used by sperglords and fedoras to make themselves feel better about themselves. Yet it is an incredibly immature and unrealistic viewpoint to have as people who are "normal" often have many talents or subtle intelligence that is overlooked. Anyone who has experience being out in the real world realizes this.

In short: fuck off.
>>
>>16446198
Go to any one of the following:

Poetry Slam
Silent Film Festival
Chamber Music Concert
Archery Class(no foolin')
Brainery Event
Swing Dance Class
>>
Nobody gives a shit about intelligence unless you're using it to get people to do what you want them to do.
>>
>>16446295
I don't think it's necessarily derogatory, that's certainly not how I understood it anyway. I think we, as 4chan users, recognise that the majority of us are pretty different from the people we see around us who seem to have a completely different set of interests and less cynical worldview. I don't think intelligence is the thing that differentiates normies from non-normies, I'd say being socially adjusted is far more important. If anything, many of us are a little bit jealous of normies.

That's how I'd always understood it, but I spend more time on the likes of /int/ than /r9k/, so maybe that comes into it.
>>
>>16446353

I feel like that isn't the case. I've used 4chan for a really long fucking time but I don't feel especially different from everyone else around me.

Everyone has problems, even the "normies" - it's not like someone who's a "normie" has an especially charmed life. Even if they've had girlfriends or whatever the fuck else qualifies them as "normal" then they have to deal with the headaches of bitchy gf or unwanted pregnancies or differing life goals or whatever else.

Btw, has it ever occurred to you that people who are "sports crazy" might ALSO appreciate the arts? Just because they're going nuts over march madness doesn't mean that they can't pick up a book. Even if you do find a "normie" girl who doesn't quite share the same interests, she might fall in love with them just the same as you did if you introduced her to them - that's how social interaction and dating and shit works. You don't just find a caricature of a human being that somehow fits your metrics and then bond with them for life.
>>
>>16446336
> Nobody gives a shit about intelligence
found the idiot. intelligence is how you navigate life, it makes a huge difference.. of course if you idolize chad cause he pumps vag and gets drunk on the weekend you wouldn't know this. reading books regularly is going to improve your life a shitload over the course of a lifetime
>>
File: 1445805362095.jpg (62 KB, 449x456) Image search: [Google]
1445805362095.jpg
62 KB, 449x456
>>16446392
>claims to have found the idiot
>proceeds to say the same thing that other anon said, but worse
prime /adv/ material
>>
>>16446370
Well maybe my interpretation of it says more about me then. I have a really cynical attitude towards a lot of things, and 4chan is the only place where I've found people with the same sorts of opinions. In some respects it's refreshing, but often I'll wish I was more of a normie, because I'd definitely be more happy and carefree.

A love of both sports and the arts is certainly possible, but I've not come across it yet. For example, the guys I meet only read sports autobiographies/articles and nothing else, and the girls might read the latest pop fiction and not much else. During first-year at my previous university I remember talking with some literature students, and I was actually more well-read than them (and I'm not a literature student). That's not to say I'm particularly well-read, they'd just entered the programme because they enjoyed Harry Potter and some of their core reading at school. I know it sounds snobby and elitist, but I was surprised at how little the vast majority of students at my supposedly highly-rated university cared about anything 'academic' beyond their course. Maybe it changes as people get older and my peers were just caught up in the 'uni life' fad (as I was, to a certain extent). I definitely hope so.

That's a valid point about introducing new things to people though, I hadn't really considered it from that angle.
>>
>>16446198
>Where to meet women who like intelligent men?
Wherever men go to be intelligent. It's not rocket science
>>
>>16446392
It depends on what you do. When it comes to people and reading, I've came across a big portion of them talking about what the've learn from a book that sounded no different to a person talking about how many live leason they've learn from rap songs. Books means jackshit most of the time, and people putting them on a higher "degree" in the hobbies department while they are not a big deal at all makes some people pretend being into them just for the impression. So, to keep short, you better have a good social filter to remove the crap among the truly interested on whatever the fuck you like because it'll depend on what you judge as intelligent what will put you among people you would like to spend time with or a whole basket filled to the brim with pretentious twats. Many people gather in thos places to fuck and socialice, but their reasons for chosing them vary, so be careful.
>>
Bookstores. I kid you not. Just avoid the shelves dedicated to cookbooks or home repair, and you're good to go.

The reason to avoid those shelves, by the way, is that the people in those sections are likely to be running errands of some degree of urgency. Nobody likes to be hit on when they're out taking care of business.
>>
>>16446198
Taking your head out of your ass might be a good start.
What school and what gpa?
>>
>>16446437
I see where you're both coming from, but I too dislike the word 'normie'. If I'm honest, I'm reaching that stage in life (left college, left university) where I wish I'd engaged in 'normie' activities more. It's a shame I was too edgy and thought it was for 'normies' at the time.
Personally, I'm someone who likes most things, choral singing, fencing, hockey, reading fan fiction until 5am, science, technology etc.
Everyone is different I guess.
>>
I like intelligent men. But I don't like the arrogance that often comes with it (which you seem to have), and I don't know any woman who does. No one wants to date someone who's self-righteous and patronising.
>>
>>16446437
>I have shallow, stereotypical views of women and wonder why intelligent women aren't interested in me.

Fuck off, asshat. Girls do not really care about pop culture, plenty of us like sports, film, and literature
>>
>>16446683
I'm not in the States. Went to a top 10 uni for my undergraduate degree and graduated with a first-class degree, which is the highest possible. I'm currently at a top 20 uni for my postgraduate, which is the best in the country for my course, and my early grades have all been at distinction level.

>>16446784
I'm not sure I could have asked this question in a way that doesn't make me sound arrogant. It's not that I think I'm any better than most people, I just recognise that I'm different. I'd like to meet girls who feel the same way.

>>16446992
>Girls do not really care about pop culture

Are you sure about that? I'm not saying that every girl does, but in my experience the vast majority of guys and girls are into pop culture. After all, that's why we call it 'pop' (i.e. popular) culture.

>plenty of us like film and literature

Good, and I never said you didn't. I just think that girls who do have a genuine passion for these things are harder to find. Hence why I created this thread.
>>
I find an easy way is tinder
(I know I will get shot down for this)
Yes it's mostly vapid partygurls, but actually quite mixed and the good ones are so fucking easy to seperate from the airheads.
If the profile contains only selfies or partypics >left
If any pics are taken in a studio or photoshooped
>left
if profile says "i like food, drinks and parteeee"
>left

if there's interesting hobbies, that's a good sign but no win yet
if she has an interesting profile, one that says something about her and not just universal stuff, that's a good sign.
she has some sort of own style.
that's a good sign
Put some stuff in your profile that will put dumb girls off but attracts intelligent ones.

yes perhaps 1 in ten meets the criteria, but that still means you get to contact more quality girls in half an hour than you'd meet in a year of clubbing.

same can be done with okcupid and such off course.
Or go to some illegal noisebreaks rave in an abandoned asylum, tonnes of highbrow chicks there!
>>
File: haruka-senran-kagura-anime.gif (714 KB, 550x309) Image search: [Google]
haruka-senran-kagura-anime.gif
714 KB, 550x309
>>16447812
You've confused intellect with work ethic. Try again!
>>
>>16448119
Where exactly have I done that?
>>
>>16448533
Getting top grades doesn't mean you're intelligent, only that you put effort into what you set out to do.
>>
>>16448543
Yes, but it doesn't mean you're unintelligent either. Obviously work ethic is important too, and many intelligent people have been disillusioned in traditional education and have demonstrated their intellect in other ways. But on a general level, I think we both know that there is a positive correlation between intelligence and grades.

Anyway, I never said that I am incredibly intelligent (second line in OP reads 'I'm not a real intellectual..') - it's just that most of the people I mix with see me that way, and I was wondering whether I could use that to my advantage and meet girls who share my 'high-brow' interests.
>>
>>16448581
>'high-brow' interests.
They're going to be put off by your personality.
>>
Women everywhere are attracted to intelligence you probably just have an off putting personality or don't use deodorant if you can't find one. Maybe you are obnoxiously pretentious and your friends call you intelligent because it is kinder.
>>
>>16448589
I don't really know how else to phrase it. Is it snobby/arrogant to recognise that some interests are more high-brow than others? I'm not saying that they're any better or worse, just that they're more interesting to me and I'd like to meet people who feel the same way.

>>16448596
If they felt that way they'd probably just stop being my friend. In person I'm much more humble/modest, but you don't really have to hold back so much if you're anonymous on the internet.
>>
>>16448605
>Is it snobby/arrogant to recognise that some interests are more high-brow than others?
No, but you do come across as snobby/arrogant in the way you say things. And these hobbies certainly aren't high-brow, so it just makes you look like a guy with unique snowflake syndrome. You can say that you're humble and downplay your intelligence, but women know what you really think and will see past that based on how you carry yourself. It's not attractive.
>>
First, you find somebody who is interested in what you have to offer on the outside. Then you two get to know each other to see if you like what's on the inside.

You don't get to just have your ideal woman just because you're "the smart guy" of the bunch.
>>
>>16448617
How are classical music, literature, and world cinema not high-brow interests? They're literally the first three interests listed in the 'highbrow' Wikipedia page. I'm not trying to pretend I'm some superior being who lives on a different plane to normal humans, I just recognise I have different interests to the majority of people.

You seem pretty determined to paint a specific (and false) picture of me simply because I said that I am intelligent and want to meet other intelligent people. If I'm a snob, then you're every bit as much a reverse snob.
>>
>>16448605
>In person I'm much more humble/modest
so you're a phony too?

If you think you're better than the people around you, you're going to broadcast this whether its intentional or not

Your friends will put up with you because you've built a relationship over time, but on a first date basis? It just sounds you're desperate to impress people if you immediately start in with your "highbrow interests"
>>
How "into" these highbrow interests are you exactly?

Do you paint? do you write? do you compose?
or do you just passively consume
>>
>>16448653
I'm not the original anon you were responding to, I'm only jumping in to make observations of your behavior. It may seem that I'm chastising your for it, but I'm not. I find it fascinating.
>>
>>16448676
>>16448683
I don't think it's particularly surprising that people act differently when anonymously posting on the internet to how they act in person. When have I ever said I'm better than the people around me? All I've said is that I'm intelligent and I have more high-brow interests than most people - that's true, and pretty easy to quantify. There's no point in false modesty on 4chan.

I wouldn't 'immediately start in with my highbrow interests' on a first date either, and I don't think anything I've said gives the impression that I would. I just want to meet someone who shares my interests. What's wrong with that?

>>16448682
I'm more of a consumer than producer to be honest. I have recently found that I enjoy writing, but I'm not very good and so far I've not shared anything I've written with anyone apart from the anons on /lit/. I'm (mostly) self-taught on the piano and classical guitar and play at a reasonable standard, but I'm a long way from being an expert. I'm continuing to learn, and recently I've been trying to teach myself music theory. I don't paint, and for some reason I've never been particularly interested in this type of art, and still don't know too much about it. My biggest interest is in cinema and my ideal job would be a screenwriter and/or director, but I realise that these are pretty unrealistic career choices, so these aspirations are on hold, at least until I earn some money and have a bit of financial security.
>>
>>16447864
This. I found this one girl who I discussed literature with and she tried psychoanalyze me or something.
She's adorable and I'll be devastated if she doesn't message me back.
>>
Op, what kinds of places do you hang out? Where could girls find you? I'd like to find intelligent men but don't know where to look.
>>
File: images4.jpg (11 KB, 210x239) Image search: [Google]
images4.jpg
11 KB, 210x239
I'll tell you something important- don't bother going this route.

I'm ivy league educated- BS in embryology and dual MS's in public policy and oceanography. One ex now lectures at MIT, and the ex that I almost married is an MD/JD.

My wife is from the middle of nowhere in Brazil, has a high school education, and was a secretary. We have 2 kids who look like her, and have my eyes and last name.
Every now and again, when I see something about one of my exes on Facebook, I thank God that I didn't end up with either of those women. My wife is far more beautiful, inside and out. Compatibility is about far more than rousing discussions about cerebral issues. After a couple months of that, it gets mighty dull.
>>
>>16448882
To be honest, right now I don't really hang out anywhere. I've just moved to a new town and, in between working and studying, I don't have a huge amount of free time. My only social commitments at the moment are a couple of sports teams I joined. That's kind of why I started this thread, to get some ideas about the sorts of things I should be doing to meet people with the same interests as me.

>>16448898
That's interesting, thanks. Weirdly, in the past it's been foreign girls who I've felt most able to connect with on these sorts of interests. I don't know whether that's to do with something cultural, or whether I'm just not giving the domestic girls enough of a chance.
>>
I think it's more important to be an interesting person than it is to be a cerebral person.

And the easiest way to be interesting is to take interest in a wide variety of topics. It's fine to appreciate the finer things, but that shouldn't preclude you from "lesser" pursuits.

Interests are where you be drawing connections, not building up walls. You bring up sports as a lowbrow topic that doesn't interest you, but have you tried approaching it from a statistical POV? There are always multiple ways to approach these topics, you just have to put in the effort to interest yourself.
>>
>>16448972
You are from the UK - you guys don't have that good of an arts scene from what I have seen but you can still find something. I'd suggest using MeetUp.com to find some poetry reading, wine tasting and theater plays. Especially the last ones - those are the bomb.

Your girls are hit-and-miss, though. Some of them have been cool, some of them have been snobby and some of them behaved like children. As Anon >>16448898 said, find a chick that you like and she likes you back - interests and hobbies mean shit when you have a great person besides you.

I think you will be fine - you sound like a pretty intelligent fellow.
>>
>>16448981
This

My GF can talk about Sinatra, european history, pokemon, hockey, swing dancing, deviled egg recipes, shitty sitcoms etc.

Creating distinctions between high and low brow is just precluding yourself from certain conversations. Smart people can enjoy dumb things. It's more a sign of insecurity if you refuse to engage subjects that are "beneath you". Girls pick up on that shit. ESPECIALLY the smart ones.
>>
>>16446198
NPR fundraising events.
>>
Intelligent is a codeword for makes good shekels.
So anywhere basically.
>>
>>16448794
Here's the thing OP. Intelligent people don't need other's to declare their intelligence. Yes, it may sound nice coming from other people , but if it's true it's true.
You labeling yourself as "intellectual" just means that you need others to verify it; hence, this is why you bring up your friends.
>>
>>16449145
Re-read the original post, I clearly stated that I'm not a real intellectual. I do think I'm intelligent though, and all the tests I've done throught school and university have pretty much confirmed it. If you believe IQ is a good measure of intelligence, my IQ is somewhere between 120 and 130. I've never said I'm a super genius, but pretending that I'm not relatively intelligent is completely pointless on an anoymous imageboard.
>>
>>16449201
Your IQ is on the low end of smart. Congratulations you're smarter than dumb people and dumber than smart people.
>>
>>16449239
Which is literally what I said in the original post, so I don't really understand why you keep trying to create an argument.
>>
>>16446784
Seconded with the exception of Rodney McKay.
>>
File: 1409377619075.gif (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1409377619075.gif
1 MB, 640x360
>>16449242
It comes down to the fact that you aren't an intellectual
>but I'm not an intellectual
You're damn right you aren't. In which case you're just like everyone else. There's no difference between you and everyone else.
>but muh art
It's the same as if you liked anime. Find a bunch of art weebs and hang out with them.

If you really were smart this thread wouldn't exist. You really need us non-geniuses to spell it out for you.

Pic unrelated
>>
>>16448972
>UK
>Bad a art
Wut ? You must be crazy dude as much as I hate the UK (I'm French) I must recognise all of the great artistic stuff come from there ! Just look at the music !
>>
>>16449279
More like everyone who talks about intelligence on either side seems wrapped in an infinite recess of doubts.
>>
>>16449025
>ESPECIALLY the smart ones

Yup. The smart girls I know have a hawk-like perception and can smell pretention-covered insecurity in a hot second.
>>
>>16446198
I would´t call it intelligence. I met a lot of smart girls that like to party. I think it i just a phase in college, but that does´t make them dumb most of the time. People can surprise you. I don´t consider myself intelligent, but i am in a similar situation, where i am looking for a girl like that. The truth is, every girl likes intelligence and masculinity. And if you are lucky you will find a feminine and intelligent woman, and it would be easier than you think. Just try to know them better, to know their true souls. Somehow girls trust me very fast, so i introduce them to my world. And they like it and began to have my same interests. So my point is, don´t judge a girl because she likes to party, women are very diverse, and the girl you are looking for is closer than you think.
>>
File: rare89.gif (3 MB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
rare89.gif
3 MB, 500x375
>>16446353
If you didn't get a derogatory meaning from the term "normie", then maybe you're not actually that intelligent.
>>
>>16449785
Oh fuck, that's not the .gif I thought it was.
p fitting tho senpai desu
>>
>>16449279
Geez, dude, calm down. I get the guy comes off as a bit snobby, but it's no reason to get your panties in a knot. You seem to have the notion that this guy really thinks he's smarter than you. Even if he does, what should it matter to you?
>>
>>16446198
You're a grad student, right? If I were you I'd look to people in my major or join a club of some sort relating to my interests.
>>
File: ARRGHABLEIOHAQUNBJD.gif (280 KB, 160x120) Image search: [Google]
ARRGHABLEIOHAQUNBJD.gif
280 KB, 160x120
>>16449875
Because that means I'm dumb :(
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.