[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is an hero "selfish"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
File: image.png (87 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
image.png
87 KB, 255x255
I don't understand why people who want to an hero are accused of being selfish. Perhaps if they have dependents then it would make sense. But for a single guy like me, why should'nt I just put a Hornady Critical Defense round through my brain?
>>
>>16438783
You have dependent too
Your friends and family are emotionally dependent on you
>>
>>16438783

i dont find it selfish, i never understood that process. its just really fucking dumb and anyone who honestly thinks they should kill themself really needs to just get their shit together.

but most people just talk about wanting to kill themselves, like you, you've been promising to get around to it for years, making threads, asking /b/ whats the easiest, cheapest, most effective method, but you tend to find an excuse no matter what it is.

i mean lets be real, if you really wanted to just put a bullet in your brain you would have already. there are a tyhousand ways to do it without making people sad for not noticing, like going camping and ismply never returning, making them think you just died falling off a cliff or a building by accident.

but you just want attention. and thats okay, but every time you say 'i totes wnna mckill myself' it makes people roll their eyes. its like a depression contest.
>>
>>16438808

That just almost doesn't seem fair to me. None of them need me. I honestly don't know why my friends care about me to begin with.
>>
Killing yourself is a perfectly valid choice.
Especially if it's premeditated.
I know a few people who have made the decision.
One spent five years getting ready for it.
Honestly if you don't want to live life then it's your right as a person to take your own life.
I firmly believe that.
>>
Because it really really hurts people when you do that, to the extent that they might do it too. But when you do that, you don't care about their feelings, only your own.
That said, please don't die.
>>
>>16438822

The thing that I don't understand about that is I'm just suppose to be miserable until I die in a accident, cancer or old age?
>>
>>16438819

or you can just go and switch things up. worse that happens is you die, right?
>>
>>16438845
Or you can kill yourself.
Like whatever dude.
Death really isn't that big of a deal.
>>
>>16438817
You don't know why they care but they do, it happens
>>
>>16438836

>life is nothing but suffering
>Despite owning a computer and having ample access to anything i would ever need, its too grim and i should kill myself

u've barely even scratched the surface of all the joys this world has to offer, but you want to kill yourself because you are too lazy to get up and try other things.

that being said, here is how you kill yourself without making others feel bad

>spend the next 3 to 6 months making yourself seem really happy
>put on a facade that your life is amazing and great and awesome
>constantly talk on facebook about how great life is getting
>start taking frequent trips up to tall buildings to look at the skyline or watch a sunset. cliffs work as well. if you honestly have no access to this, frequently go to large bodies of water you may swim in
>make this a regular fun activity for you the next few months, frequently send picture texts to friends so they can see this is normal. upload them to facebook
>after six months have a REALLY great party with everyone you care about
>no matter how much it sucks, pretend its the best night of your life just cuz some of your friends are there
>the next day make a facebook post talking about how your life is absolutely perfect, you got all the most amazing people in the world and you can die happy. dont be quite on the nose, but make it seem like your life is as fulfilled as it could ever be
>wait a week (have plenty of fun posts inbetween)
>then, go back to your tall building, tall cliff, or body of water
>bring a six inch subway sandwich with you
>text people pictures about how beautiful the sunset is
>only take three bites of your sandwich
>then 'accidentally' fall to your death
>all your friends will mourn the loss, but they will never feel bad like they let you kill yourself
>with the sandwich and how great your life is, people will assume you fell by accident
>people will think it great that you were so happy until the very end
>>
>>16438857

>i could just actually do fun stuff
>but it sounds much easier to kill myself because im too lazy to have fun
>death really inst that big a deal
>I would know, ive died five times
>#buddistmonk

if you dont even know how to live, how can you claim to know anything about the severity of death?
>>
>>16438867
This. You're a lazy piece of shit OP.

You should probably just kill yourself.
>>
Imagine the person you love most. No, not yourself. The person you love second-most then.

Now imagine them saying to your face that they'd rather be dead than spend another second putting up with you. That they loathed every single moment you've shared together, and the only way to cope with it is by making it end.
That's what you imply by killing yourself. In fact, you even go a step further by proving you're serious about it. Not to mention the person who has to find your corpse, or the person who has to deliver the news to your other loved ones, or the persons who hear that news and realize you're no longer around.

To you it's an end. To the rest of the world it's anything but. That's why it's selfish.
>>
>>16438867
>u've barely even scratched the surface of all the joys this world has to offer, but you want to kill yourself because you are too lazy to get up and try other things.

Like?

And that whole green text paragraph sounds like a terrible idea
>>
>>16438882
Fuck off and kill yourself already man.
>>
>>16438783
Because most people have no experience of being suecidal.

Those who have usually have a different view of it.

They say:
>There is no reason to keep suffering if you know life is never going to improve

I think this is mostly ledgit when you have some condition, such as a cronic illness that you know will never go away.
>>
>>16438871
You know fuck all about my life.
I wouldn't kill myself.
I'm just saying it's not like the universe cares or that any of the people who are going to feel bad "don't deserve" to.
>>
>>16438878
You are nobody's savior fuckboy.
>>
>>16438878
>Imagine the person you love most. No, not yourself. The person you love second-most then.

You're implying that I have self esteem.
>>
Society is going to tell you society's interests.

Stay in school, keep paying taxes, write your name on the birth certificate without questioning paternity, and quit expecting anyone to care about you. Every dead young slave makes the master a lesser man.

PS: the term you're looking for is exit bag.
>>
>>16438882
Turn on the TV. First channel it lands on. First detail you notice in the first frame you see. That's your first example. Look into it. Expand your horizons.

The fact that you even have to ask shows you haven't even tried yet.

>>16438889
I'm all for letting this guy kill himself instead. The only reason toxic shitheads like these live is to up global suicide rates
>>
>>16438882

>it sounds like a bad idea

this coming from the guy who thinks just offing yourself in general is a good idea

>like?

>taking martial arts so you can feel like a badass when you beat someone up
>becoming a serial killer so that you can get that rush every time you snuff out a life
>having a nice cold beer in the shower
>creating your own video game
>writing your own book
>Reading a book
>making a movie
>Watching prometheus 2
>making an audio play
>Traveling to france
>having your first born son
>having your first born daughter
>dressing up as a clown and chasing people through the park at night
>going in a hot air balloon
>working for a really cool boss
>starting your own business
>being a really cool boss
>making explosives
>going hunting
>going paintballing
>playing laser tag with your best friends
>buying a trampoline
>going snowboarding
>Going skateboarding
>learning how to do a back flip
>traveling to australia
>petting a shark
>training a dolphin
>watching every one of the top 100 films of all time
>making your own beer
>having sex with two girls at the same time
>playing mario kart while you and your friends wear mario costumes
>going to vegas
>going to japan
>going to north korea
>legally enjoying a cuban cigar
>illegally enjoying other things you can smoke
>getting a masters in psychology
>becoming a teacher
>becoming a doctor
>becoming a barista
>becoming fit
>becoming a yogi
>traveling to alaska to see the aurora borrealis
>making your own couch
>making your own lunch
>sky diving
>parasailing
>meeting a penguin
>meeting a monkey
>learning sign language to talk to koko the gorilla
>doing the zombie-paintball hay ride on halloween
>goign trick r treating as an adult
>going trick r treating with your kids
>enjoying a nice afternoon helping other people instead of whining on /adv/
>drawing your own comic book
>creating your own cosplay group
>learning how to do really awesome dances
>appearing as an extra in a movie
>meeting the president
>>
>>16438888

>its not like the universe cares

neer said it would

>or that nay of the people who are going to feel bad "dont deserve" to.

never said that either. but the point of the OP was why should killing yourself be selfish. i found a way to make it unselfish. if you wanna be selfish go ahead, but dont complain about how being selfish is being selfish.
>>
>>16438913
Invent a new type of pizza.
Make a music video.

Grow a tomato or sunflower plant.
Walk barefoot through the grass.
Build a sandcastle.
Have a wet t-shirt relay race.
Picnic at a local park.
Make the best ice cream sandwich ever.
Have an overnight movie marathon.
Play frisbee golf.
Have a car wash to fundraise for a club or charity.
Grab a blanket, spread it out in the grass and cloud watch.

Make a card for a friend.
Bike five miles.
Catch lightning bugs.
Eat the Best Banana Split ever.
Take a nap under a shade tree.
Go swimming.
Have a pool party.
Play with water balloons.
Make a summer tote bag out of a recycled tank top.
Soak in the bathtub with homemade summer bath salts.
Sketch a flower that is growing in your yard.
Bury a friend in the sand.
Babysit and make paper airplanes.
Volunteer in a community effort.
Go fishing.
Sleep in your backyard, under the stars.
Create a photo journal.
Hike a rail trail.
Visit the local library and sign up for the summer reading list. You could win something.
Swap a favorite book with a friend and read it.
Make a friendship bracelet and send it to your friend.

Write a poem
Write a song.
Write a play.
Start your novel.
Make a website.
Give your MySpace/Facebook page a summery look.
Friend someone famous on your MySpace/Facebook page.
Have an outdoor basketball free-throw contest.
Have a watermelon seed spitting contest.
Sketch your pet.
Make smoothies.

Have a high tea, only use iced-teas.
Help plan the family vacation.
Make a root beer float.
Write in your journal, "My Top Ten Favorite Summertime Activities".
Make toe ring.
Paint your toe nails.
Make a barefoot sandal.
>>
>>16438783

You might do something really cool next year, or maybe next decade, and if you aren't here to do it, all of us will be deprived of this really cool thing.

Why would you hero OP? You don't have any proof that it will bring relief. And it does seem to be a fairly uncomfortable process...

Happiness is logical, no matter who you are.
>>
>>16438933
Make Hawaiian Pizza for your family dinner.
Paint your fingernails with bright sparkly polish.
Watch the sunrise.
Watch the sunset.
Get your community’s events list for the summer and attend an event.
Have a summer clothes fashion show.
Create a summer safety poster for the local library.
Volunteer to read to children at the library.
Learn to grill a hot dog.
Learn to grill a hamburger.
Learn to grill pizza crust.
Eat some fruit with fruit dip.
Make a collage out of old magazines.
Swing.
Skip stones at a lake.
Surf/boogey board at the beach.
Get a new hairdo.
Change something about how you wear your make-up.
Decide to pick up one good habit, then pick which one you’ll do.
Make your own popsicles.
Watch last year’s hot summer flick.
Go to this year’s hot summer flick.
Make a list of your favorite summertime movies in your journal.
Make a summer sun shaped collage out of summer fashion magazines.
Make a leaf t-shirt.
Make a earring holder out of a branch.
Make peach lemonade.
Make a CD of your favorite summertime songs.
Enjoy a board game marathon on your backyard picnic table or on your back porch.
Have a scavenger hunt.
Make some summer jewelry.
Change something in or add something to your room.(You could clean it too.)
Give your dog/pet a bath outside.
Take your dog/pet for a walk.
Run through a sprinkler.
Make a whirlpool in a kids pool or play Ice Cubes and Piggies Game.
Visit a flower garden and/or butterfly house.
Grow some lavender so you can make your own potpourri.
Turn up the music and dance.
Go stargazing.
Sleep until noon – once.
Tie-dye your bed sheets.
See some fireworks.
See a local baseball game.
Play mini-golf.
Learn how to hula-hoop.
Create a sidewalk mural with chalk, use a tropical theme.
Visit a college.
Plan and enjoy a luau.
>>
>>16438913
My friend has bipolar disorder.

He's well traveled, social, has a mastersdegree and is CTO at a small it company doing some todo list app for department stores.

Yet, every six months he gets into a bad mood and wants to kill himself, and so it has been for 20 years.

How am i going to change him?
He takes medications, which makes life not worth living according to him.

You're under the assumption that being suecidal is not a sympthom of a disease, when it most likely is.
>>
>>16438944

if there is a serious issue there is that to deal with, and if someone wants to kill themselves, that is their business. i only respond because someones making a thread asking why they should or shouldnt or why something should or shouldnt be considered selfish. he was literally asking our opinions so i gave mine.

and while your friend may be a really big case there are as many people who claim to have very serious clinical depression as there are fat chicks claiming they have a medical issue preventing them from losing weight.

often times people are diagnosed with something because the symptoms and the causes of depression are often the same thing.

the point is, with your friend, he has highs and lows becuase of his condition. and while they are extreme, life is highs and lows. so as long as hes still having his extremely insanely happy times, life should be worth living in my book.

but most of the people who whine endlessly for years about how they are sad and want to kill themselves and totes have uber clinical depression are just too modern to understand their place in the world. they grow up thinking that having to have a job is a terrible burden.

as a result, unless they are perpetually happy, they believe themselves to be the special snowflake of self death.
>>
>>16438913

None of that really seems all that enjoyable.
>>
File: 1411516026190.jpg (22 KB, 234x294) Image search: [Google]
1411516026190.jpg
22 KB, 234x294
>>16438961

good to know you at least tried, feel free to kill yourself now, i mean you even read the whole list, thats a lot of effort.
>>
>>16438935
>You might do something really cool next year, or maybe next decade, and if you aren't here to do it, all of us will be deprived of this really cool thing.

I'm not intelligent enough to do something that would appease the masses
>>
>>16438958
>having to have a job is a terrible burden
Well, in a way, it would be nice to be a small time farmer, have your own house, working with animals, far away from the city and people.

All you really do is work in these societies. It's quite stressfull, and even on weekends all i do is thinking about my job. I don't have any life besides my job.

If i was a farmer, i think, my job could really be my life in a healthy rather than an unhealthy way.

Of course there are spoiled kids who complain, but i don't really like the modern lifestyle in cities.

I don't really feel like i have much choice but to embrace it though.
>>
>>16438961
I'm not seeing you come up with anything.
>>
>>16438983

i wouldnt go be a full fledged farmer because thats a 24/7 gig. it sounds nice the same way that getting married and having a house with two kids and white picket fence sounds nice, but you aren't thinking about what it means ot be in that moment.

if city life bugs you id go more suburb though, its less high energy and stress. you may also consider switchign fields and such.
>>
>>16438986

I've had depression and suicidal thoughts since I was a kid. The only thing I've ever focused my life on is getting a job that really matters to me. And that's not going to happen. And that's the only thing I want. We spend the majority of our lives working. So I wanted to dedicate that to something I care about. Which will never happen. So what's the point of living?
>>
File: 1436749799615.jpg (5 KB, 250x223) Image search: [Google]
1436749799615.jpg
5 KB, 250x223
>>16438783
Suicide creates an emotional clusterfuck for anybody who is involved in the life of that person. It sets off a bomb of despair that can derail lives.

Suicidal depression is a really vicious disease that creates a mentality of deep introspection that feeds off of itself. What many people don't realize is that, even though they might not feel it, their lives have an impact on the people around them, often a positive one. Don't lose scope.
>>
>>16438971

Nah bro- I mean something cool, not something that would appease the masses.

And you seem pretty intelligent, but maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by intelligent.
>>
>>16438783
Do it. Kill yourself. The world has no room for people with no motivation to be here. Get the fuck out. Seriously. Pack your shit and go, Michael.
>>
>>16439031

I don't make bad choices. But academically in a fucking idiot. So no, I'm not intelligent
>>
>>16439039
Not even an ironic post. I have no sympathy for you losers. Living is as easy as eating food and not dying. You want out, go fucking ahead. Nobody gives a shit. You are a spec in a tiny universe and your life means nothing.

If that's too much for you to handle, if a life where you're the most important person ever and everything revolves around you and everyone loves you is the only life you can manage, then go put that bullet in your head. You're weak, and if we didn't get out of the food chain, you'd probably die anyways.
>>
>>16439006
That's exactly what I'm talking about here. You say nothing in that list seems enjoyable, but all you've ever really focused on is a job. Do you know what any point in that list is like? Have you ever tried or so much as looked into any of those?

If all you've ever let into your life is a job or the idea of a job you don't even like, it's obvious you can't stand your life. You want to dedicate your life to something you care about, but you won't even try and find something to care about?

Look at the list again. Disregard 'enjoyable' and focus on 'viable' instead. Go with whatever seems easiest to do and soonest available. Experience it. Expand your horizons. Sooner or later you'll find something that seems slightly less tedious than the rest. Who knows, you might actually learn to like and care about it.
>>
>>16439066
Don't encourage him. He's fucking helpless. Let him die. There are too many people o this fucking planet anyway, and people who want to quit because life is too hard should not have the opportunity to procreate and raise children in this world.
>>
>>16439066

I don't feel as if I'm just suppose to have fun and enjoy everything. I'm not worth the oxygen to just live for fun. I'd rather have a hard job that I'm satisfied with. i just over the list again. I'm just not worth taking up that space where someone else could go do that shit instead
>>
>>16439070
>should not have the opportunity to procreate and raise children in this world.

Don't worry. Even if for some odd reason I don't an hero in the next year or so. I assure you I will not have kids. That's something that will never happen
>>
>>16439058

Academically- So you don't meet the illogical filters of a broken culture. You sound pretty cool to me already... You just might want to reconsider trying to fit so snugly into the cookie mold of a society that has nothing to offer anyone besides systematic violence.
>>
>>16439113

How is be being stupid cool? I can't do basic math, and apparently thats cool?
>>
>>16439079
You're falling beyond my expertise here, man. Give me a little leeway here. "Taking up that space" is bullshit reasoning if it's something you can do on your own in your own home. What are you supposed to take away from others by following a guide on the internet? Bandwidth?

Everyone here has something they care about, no matter how little. Even that toxic little shit who keeps baiting cares about his superiority on an anonymous board. It's pathetic, but hey. It's something.
So you say you care about a hard job you're satisfied with. 'Care' may be putting it strongly, but again. It's something. We can translate this to "hard work well done", so basically something you put a lot of effort into and look back to with pride.
I'm not one for spoonfeeding, but perhaps learning to make things may suit you? Bring out your creative side. Doesn't matter whether you're making paintings, bookshelves or even fucking Sonic the Hedgehog fanfics. You put in time and creativity, and at the end of the ride you've got a little memento you can keep or gift to others. It could make others happy, if even just a little.
>>
>>16439130

It's very cool if it prevents you from making a nuclear bomb. But that's just my opinion. Cool means whatever anyone wants it to...
>>
>>16438783
Because then you're going to be another statistic that anti-gun liberals can use to take away my rights

Don't shoot yourself
>>
>>16438783

>Hornady Critical Defense

There's your problem friend
>>
>>16438878
But they're selfish for wanting him to live so they can feel good. Nobody ever gives a shit about your problems until you threaten suicide.
>>
>>16439279

I would carry Duty if i found some.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.