[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is telling an online friend you've been chatting daily with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 1
File: teapot necklace.jpg (2 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
teapot necklace.jpg
2 MB, 4000x3000
Is telling an online friend you've been chatting daily with for a year your real name dangerous? What about skyping with this person?
>>
>>16437652
For a year? God no.
>>
>>16437656
How is it different than chatting for a month?
>>
Depends on the context. Is "she" from a poor country that wants money? Or someone who claims to be 15 and wants to have sex with you?
>>
>>16437666
Neither
>>
>>16437666
/thread
>>
>>16437652
Jesus, how scared of life do you have to be? The funny thing is you tell people your real name everytime you swipe your fuckin credit card at the grocery store. Or when you sign up for a college class and have your name on the roster.

What the fuck is wrong with you OP? Are you trying to hide from the government or something? Is your name "Jason Bourne"? Would she find something infinitely embarrassing if she googled your name? What the fuck is the deal, it's just a name. It's literally the first thing you tell people when you meet them. "Hi, I'm Dicky Fuckboy. Nice to meet you".

When the fuck did this happen; people being so paranoid over giving out the most minor, basic of information about themselves?
>>
>>16437715
He is someone I met online
Is teling him my college and major dangerous?
>>
>>16437718
how?
>>
>>16437722
What do you mean?
People online can lie
>>
>>16437727
How would that be dangerous in any way, you fucktard?
>>
>>16437882
Like I don't know who I am sharing the info with
>>
>>16437715
This.

OP breathing is dangerous, you dont know what you are breathing so you might as well stop breathing all together.
>>
>>16437884
So? What damage could come from that info?
>>
>>16437898
Bitch thinks this is Taken and she will get kidnapped. Chances are that all this "personal" information is already in Facebook for anyone to see.
>>
>>16437898
He may use the info to blackmail me?
>>
>>16437898
>Name
>College
>Course
That's all very doxable to be fair.
>>
>>16437910
Well my name is very unique, so just sharing my name is doxable
I am not worried about being doxed, but I don't want to be blackmailed
>>
>>16437916
BLACKMAILED ABOUT WHAT?
>>
>>16437921
I dont' know? He can find my friends/relatives members via Facebook and share them what i've told him?
>>
>>16437928
Like what?
You've been talking for a year, you're not that important, no one would waste a year just to blackmail you.
>>
>>16437932
I know, but still...
>>
>>16437932
She clearly did mad sexual acts on skype just admit it op my god

Also tits or gtfo
>>
>>16437938
No, we just talked/did some language exchange
>>
>>16437940
Go see a therapist and get your paranoia checked out
>>
>>16437940
I rarely ever post on adv but... Holy shit you're retarded. Never leave your house again.
>>
>>16437958
>>16437960
How am I paranoid and retarded?
>>
>>16437967
Go read your posts, if you don't understand why then you really do need a therapist.
>>
>>16437970
I did! He is someone I've never met irl! He can be someone claiming to be a high school kid in another country!
>>
>>16437974
What could he possibly do with the information you've given him so far? Have you actually said anything he can use against you, did you send any provocative photos or do anything on cam? If the answer is no to all of the above you have nothing to stress over. you need to have a little more faith considering you've spoken for a year.
>>
>>16437985
>send any provocative photos or do anything on cam
No! But I shared with him some irl drama. I don't use real names, just things like "my aunt" or "that girl in my class who is super smart"
>>
>>16437998
I don't think you need to worry, but if you're truly uncomfortable giving out personal info just don't do it. Are you worried he will find your Facebook?
>>
>>16437998
Fucking autist.
>>
>>16438004
I don't care if he finds my Facebook. I don't post anything there. He can see who my friends are. I think I hid my friend list on Facebook though.
>>16438005
What? How?
>>
>>16437664
11 months longer.
>>
>>16438043
No, I mean that person said "For a year? God no." Why no if I talked with him for a year?
>>
>>16437652

You have an IQ of 75?
>>
>>16438049
If you never met, there's no difference. Don't go around telling your full name though, that would be stupid.
>>
>>16438050
No
>>16438051
Ok
>>
>>16437998
So, worst case scenario: he blackmails you, threatening to tell your friends/family some drama about your aunt, or a smart girl in class you told him about?

And you worry about this? Seriously? Shit, I'd be more worried about someone here on /adv/ doxxing you and threatening to tell your family what a paranoid dumbass you are.

What the fuck are you worried about?
>>
>>16438070
>And you worry about this
Yes
>>
>>16438073
Why?

Is your family super strict on a separation between internet life and 'real' life, or did you actually tell him something you shouldn't have?

Those are the ONLY two scenarios in which you can (not necessarily should) worry.
>>
>>16438079
>Is your family super strict on a separation between internet life and 'real' life
Yup
>>
>>16438080
Why not just say so from the beginning? You were being super vague.

Anyway, I'm assuming you told the guy how strict your family is on the issue, and now you're worried that if you tell him your name, he will dox you, and he might make certain demands, threatening to inform your family if you refuse.

Correct?
>>
>>16438084
Yes
I am not scared of him doxing me. It's not like I am an important figure or rich or anything.
>>
Threads such as this where the OP is almost too god damn stupid to function yet oblivious to that fact are far more infuriating than troll threads.

>Inb4 HUE IT IS TROLLING
>>
>>16438087
So don't tell him your name.

/thread.
>>
>>16438089
Is telling him my name a really bad thing? He told me his full name
>>
>>16438093
No it's not, but you're obviously very worried about the whole thing, so why would you.

The basic thing to consider here is trust. Do you trust this unknown person to not 'blackmail' (it's kind of a stretch here but w/e) you if you tell him your name? You've been chatting with him for a year, do you consider him some random guy you can vent to, or a 'friend'? How does he see you?

We don't know the situation, but imo there are three options:
- Don't tell him your name, you get peace of mind. He may or may not feel hurt. Who cares, he's just an internet guy anyway.
- Tell him your name and see what the outcome is. If he does make demands, do NOT ever give in, but just explain the situation to your family. I can't really imagine they'll be mad for a simple name, I mean, fucking Amazon knows my name, nobody cares.
- If at all possible, and you're okay with it, arrange to meet the guy. That way you won't have met him "on the internet".
>>
>>16438105
>If at all possible, and you're okay with it, arrange to meet the guy. That way you won't have met him "on the internet"
I want to, but we don't live in the same country
>>
>>16438093
Ok, you're just baiting, go fuck yourself.
>>
>>16438115

So you would meet him, but you won't tell him your name as long as you two know each other only by the strings of text you send back and forth.

The solution is simple, and you said it yourself: Skype.
>>
>>16438125
Why would OP be baiting? What is there to fish for?

Bait threads are generally about cheating, friendzone, etc..., not about trivial shit like this.
>>
>>16438125
>baiting
What? No
Skype and then tell him my name?
>>
>>16438131
>should I tell him my name?
>y
>but he'll dox me!
>k n
>but he told me his, why wouldn't I?
>>
>>16438134

That's up to you.

Skyping signifies a level of trust that is deeper than simple chatting. You could tell him your name, or you could not tell him your name, but by Skyping with him you'd be strengthening the trust, and you'd eventually feel comfortable enough telling him, I suppose.

Alternatively, couldn't you just talk to your family, point out that there is no difference between meeting a guy in a supermarket, or meeting a guy online, and that you'll be careful either way?
>>
>>16438136
If you think that is bait, you have too much faith in human wisdom, my friend.

OP is clearly a naive person, I'm assuming girl, trying not to make the same mistakes as those poor dumb bitches you see whining on the news about their internet lover who blackmailed them with their nudes.

Silly and naive, yes, but at least careful.
>>
>>16438145
There are no nudes according to OP.
>>
>>16438140
>couldn't you just talk to your family
Don't have the guts to do that even though I am over 18
>>
>>16438148
I'm aware, OP is just afraid the guy'll be like:
"I know who you are and where you live. Give me nudes, or I'll tell your super strict family that you've been chatting with me for a year."

It's obviously a silly reasoning, but understandable, given the huge amount of dumb people in the world who DO entrust people they don't know with information or pictures they shouldn't.

Also, calling bait every fucking time you don't like a thread doesn't contribute shit either.
>>
>>16438149

Then it'll always be a gamble, but you still get to decide the odds.

If you trust him enough, tell him your name. If not, don't.

It won't get any simpler than that.
>>
>>16438155
How can I know if I can trust him?
>>
Doing anything at all is dangerous, homegirl.

You go outside the home today? You flirted with danger just a little bit. Shit, you just stay inside all day? Danger was present.

Anything aside from death is dangerous to life. You're not going to be able to completely insulate yourself from harm.

Yes, it is absolutely possible that this person you're talking to has completely lied from the first second he met you, and intends on nothing other than blackmail for sexual favors or money.

The chances of this are astronomically low; even less that the charade would be kept up for a year with absolutely no gain on his part. The man would have to be extremely intelligent and manipulative for absolutely no tangible gain as of yet.

It is highly unlikely you're going to able to "just stop worrying" about it, because it doesn't work like that. That shit takes time, effort, and herculean concentration.

What you CAN do is use reason and rationality to dictate your ACTIONS, if not your THOUGHTS.

You've hopefully been made aware that your fears are almost entirely unjustified by this thread. Now you can dictate your actions accordingly, or you can continue to allow your irrational fear control your actions.
>>
>>16438162
Oh, and I took a trip more than a thousand miles from home when I was 18 to stay with good internet friends I'd been in contact with for 2-3 years. Stayed in some chick's parents 'basement for a week. It was fucking nice.
>>
>>16438160

You don't "know", that's why it's called trust.
A synonym for trust is faith. Religious people don't "know" they're going to heaven, they just have faith. Not that you should take an example from them, as they put their faith in wholly wrong things.

But consider the absolute worst-case scenario: the guy turns out to be a total douchebag, your family will know you've chatted to him for over a year. What happens next? You're grounded? Computer confiscated? Will they kick you out?
>>
>>16438164
Wtf
>>16438167
I think I will be grounded?
>>
>>16438162
>Yes, it is absolutely possible that this person you're talking to has completely lied from the first second he met you, and intends on nothing other than blackmail for sexual favors or money.
>The chances of this are astronomically low; even less that the charade would be kept up for a year with absolutely no gain on his part. The man would have to be extremely intelligent and manipulative for absolutely no tangible gain as of yet.
I agree
>>
>>16438167 here again.

>>16438162 This guy's absolutely right as well. Use your brains to assert the situation.
>>
>How can I be sure they are who they say they are

Go on webcam, skype call them.

>How can I be sure they won't blackmail me?

What reason do you have to believe they would do that?
>>
>>16438176
He can use a fake video. I've heard of people creating think Bieber skype videos to troll girls
What reason do you have to believe they won't do that?
>>
>>16438171

So the absolute worst that can happen is being grounded, and the chances of this are ridiculously low.

Do you realize at all that your fear and distrust could have a negative impact on your life, not just in this particular and very meaningless situation? If you do, you'll probably agree that you may need help.
>>
>>16438178

>He can use a fake video. I've heard of people creating think Bieber skype videos to troll girls

So ask them to do something on webcam, thats no excuse, you can find out if its fake or not, also, you can ask them to speak to you, there is no way to fake that accurately.

>What reason do you have to believe they won't do that?

I don't have a reason to believe they won't, I lack a reason to believe they will.

If you do not have a reason to believe they are lying to you, then why do you think they are?
>>
>>16438178
Then don't get naked on cam you fool.
>>
>>16438187
>If you do not have a reason to believe they are lying to you, then why do you think they are?
No idea
>>
>>16438171
Why do you say wtf?

I traveled from Georgia to Ohio in the USA by car with a good friend right after graduation from HS. I'd known these people for 2-3 years, being together about 4-6 hours a day. We were very very active on an online FPS in a competitive setting; tournaments and stuff.

The host and I webcammed, as well as our parents to ensure nobody was a backwoods rapist. After all, this girl had like 5 dudes from the internet that her parents didn't really know at her house for a week. We made sure everything was good.

I've given my wall(s) of text, I'm out. Good luck OP, although you've not listened to a damn thing ANYONE has said. You've made it into a simple argument; you say that this person is likely to blackmail you, and we say that they are not.

We're not going to prove you wrong; that this random person that we KNOW NOTHING AT ALL ABOUT is ABSOLUTELY NOT going to blackmail you.

Things don't work like that.
>>
>>16438196

So you have no reason to think they are lying to you, but you still think they are..

How come?
>>
Are you being groomed Op?
>>
>>16438209
not now
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.