[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trouble with my brother
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1444432176865.jpg (38 KB, 500x323) Image search: [Google]
1444432176865.jpg
38 KB, 500x323
I have had an ongoing problem with younger brother (he's 12) and he's gradually getting worse at school and at home.

>recently started making excuses to get out of school
>only goes about 2-3 days a week
>he was pretty bad about doing his homework last year
>went like a month without doing any homework
>he's better about it but only if me or my mom checks
>parents don't give a shit
>I'm too busy with work but still go out of my way to make sure he's doing ok in school
>when he's at home he constantly argues with my mom
>still acts like he's a little kid
>Constantly lies to everyone and steals things from all of us

What can I do? I've talked with my parents about this but they haven't really done anything. I'm trying but I don't know what to do. I thought he'd get better and chill out once he was in middle school but he hasn't.
>>
I don't really know shit about kids, but maybe you could try to talk with his school's counselor and see if you can hook him up with some kind of program to straighten him out. If your parents cared or if you had the money I'd say send his ass to boarding school.
>>
>>16437311
If your parents don't care enough to do something, there's really not much you can do. All I'll say is, he knows better. He just doesn't give a shit because he gets what he wants. He may be acting out due to stress, bullying, etc. or he may have some sort of personality disorder in the works. I certainly didn't behave like that when I was that age without good reason.
>>
i am not sure how you are going to solve this but the way i see it is that something happened to him in school. either bad company or some serious bullying.

i don't know anything about him but i think that he is spoiled a lot and from what i have seen so far when you spoil someone a lot he will start going astray. especially if he doesn't get punished his mistakes. which is the case in your brother

first of all, try to learn about your brother. From what you said he is not willing to talk and your parents don't care. but there are ways to know about him. try asking the teachers of his school about him. if you knew someone who used to spend time with him try to contact him since they will be more reliable than his friend and most likely will not cover for him.

2nd,after you discovered something. try talking to him and get more details, since your brother will most likely to lie you need to try indirect approach.How will you do that? I don't know but i will tell you a story of mine that might help you

one time i had a fight with my someone who i used to call friend lets call him X. Basically i didn't tell anyone about it. but my father noticed that there is something wrong between me and X . so one day out of the blue he told me that X and his father are outside of my house. maybe i don't know X so much but i know that his father doesn't care about him enough to go and solve a problem between him and his friend. Still i didn't think that my father will make such a lie. so i told him that i fought with X and had a talk with him. YES he was lying and there wasn't anyone outside.

you might get of how to get the info from him. probably some threatening him using the little info you know will do the trick

3rd, solving the problem and talking to him (depends on the problem)

i know its different but i was brought up in an environment which kids respect the adults. and if a child doesn't respect his parents the parents can hit him and by law its legal.
>>
>>16437340
Yeah he pretty much is a spoiled kid and i want to get him out of that.

>>16437326
we have talked to teachers and counselors before and they have helped a little. I think he just needs a good friend as a role model i guess.

And he has had a few bullies in school, this year though it's been ok.
>>
Do kids even still bully eachother in person? I thought social media made it pointless to skip school to avoid bullying.
>>
>>16437311
It could be depression too. Anger and slacking are common traits of teens starting to develop one.
>>
>>16437373
>lying to kids
>hitting them

I dunno. You seem well intentioned and I'm happy to hear your own experience worked out for you, but those things seem like good ways to convince a person to stop trusting you.
>>
Maybe an enjoyable outlet to get involved with could help. Like an after school club or a sport. Does he have any interests that may translate to that kind of thing?
>>
Get him into counseling asapm. I have a friend who's kid was like this at 12 and now he's 18 and gonna be the next white rap star. No other plans or goals or even any idea of how to be a rap star. Of course he didn't finish high school
>>
>>16437387

what can i say. different cultures.

i believe at some point if beating a child will prevent him from going astray then so be it.cuz it's different from being punished at home and being punished in society. (thats my opinion)

In my religion lying is a bad thing and is prohibited. However, lying to bring ppl who broke up to each other is an exception (which what my father tried to do). ofc it also depends on the reason for breaking up in first place.
>>
>>16437419
>lying to bring ppl who broke up to each other is an exception

Out of curiosity: is that an exception that is expressly outlined in your religion, or is that just something you personally decided?
>>
>>16437311
Teacher (not his) writing here.

Can he read? Are you sure? To a much greater frequency than most people would believe, acting-out and resentment of school can come from a kid who either never really learned to read or has some handicap like dyslexia. Up to a certain point they can get away with bluffing and faking it, but eventually all the hard work of bluffing and the embarrassment about admitting the problem gets to them, and they either just give up or start acting badly so people will blame that for their failure and not discover the secret.
>>
>>16437428
even though the question is kinda pissing me off because it feels a little judgmental but i will answer it seriously.

nope, i didn't decide it in my own its something originally i learned from my religion. Not all thing that are bad or prohibited are prohibited for all eternity. some might be legal depending on the circumstances. for example, Heroin and other drugs are prohibited right? however similar types of drugs might be used for medical purposes like killing pain or tranquilizing for a surgery. From my understanding it's almost the same thing this

i repeat, i didn't come with it. it is something that was outlined in my religion
>>
>>16437440
I-is there any way to test this out without embarrassing him? Like have him read something to me?
>>
>>16437470
Not teacher anon, but do you ever notice him reading any books? Like, recreationally?

Even if he's not illiterate it's a good pastime to foster if possible.
>>
>>16437478
No he avoids reading so it makes me think >>16437440
may have a point.
But I really love reading so maybe I can give him a few of my older books he may like.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.