[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is smoking as addictive as people make it out to be? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: smoke-that-cigarette.jpg (27 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
smoke-that-cigarette.jpg
27 KB, 500x375
Is smoking as addictive as people make it out to be? I've been smoking when I feel like it for three or four months now and I've never had a feeling of addiction, it doesn't bother me to go a day or a week without a smoke
>>
It isn't as addictive as people make out, people are just weak willed as fuck. I have smoked for a long period of time, whenever I feel like stopping I just stop. Sometimes I get a headache the day after I stop but that doesn't make me want to grab a pack. Currently I've not smoked for a week.
>>
>>16436409
It's probably a lot worse when you use it as a crutch to deal with stress.
>>
>>16436561

Yeah but the catch is that people can fall into that without realizing and you know just some regular stress blows up and suddenly you're addicted.

Yeah it's pretty addictive, people can actually go through withdrawals and while it surely can be avoided for a while it can sneak up on you.
>>
People who say "if you smoke long enough you will get addicted" are full of shit, sometimes I smoke daily, sometimes I go months without smoking I smoke when ever I want like I have been for the past 6 years.
>>
>>16436409
I feel like a lot of it is mind over matter, I find that when people are convinced they aren't addicted, they find it a lot easier to give up or stop smoking
>>
Mainstream cigarettes yes.

If you or someone you can actually check on grows the tobacco, then doesn't load it up with rat poison and other shit you can form chemical dependencies for, then not nearly as much. Modern 'normal' cigs are just a legal surrogate for people who did cocaine in the 70s and 80s.
>>
>>16436752
Caveat: some people have really fucking weak minds - especially the ones who say they don't have to worry about shit because their mind is so strong.

Likewise, some people also have a greater ability to become addicted than others. Your body builds stuff; this isn't just electrons and imagination.
>>
>>16436409

Yes it is.

You start out thinking it's all about willpower and you can stop any day. You even take breaks for weeks at a time to prove it to yourself.

Three years later you are smoking a pack a day.

Source: me
>>
>>16436798
>if I can't do it no one can
>>
>>16436798
If we'll play this game, I've been smoking for four years. I can easily go days or even weeks without smoking, and I feel no physical or mental discomfort whatsoever. Then I'll smoke a pack, then maybe one cigarette the next day, stop again, smoke again, whatever
>>
>>16436409
more addictive than most other (incuding illegal and legal) drugs.
>>
Quit before you get too deep. My uncle was diagnosed with lung cancer last week. Has been smoking for 25 years and its been 9 years since his last cigarette.
>>
So why do you smoke tobacco?

It's probably the worst thing you can waste your life on.

Not only is it unhealthy as fuck, it doesn't do anything. You don't get high. You basically get nothing from it. It costs money.

So why do you smoke?
>>
>>16437860
Clearly you've never smoked. You get the nicotine buzz and transported to flavour country.
>>
I'm struggling with it right now. My job is stressful as fuck. I started smoking to accompany drinking and being high, but then I just kind of thought oh a cigarette in the day wouldn't hurt me. I forgot to buy cigarettes one day this past week and I was going through like withdrawal symptoms (sweating, headache, etc.). I couldn't focus on work it's shit. Might try the patches or all my coworkers vape, but I think that's dumb and they look stupid.
>>
Yes. Like you, I spent a decade "smoking" intermittently. At my height it was one every day. Packs would always go stale before I could finish them.

That doesn't mean they're not crazy potently addictive. It's just that we have a slightly higher threshold for addiction. I suggest doing what I did and quitting entirely. The intermittently pleasure isn't worth the bother, much less the risk.
>>
>>16438565
Vaping only looks stupid when you make a show of it and crank the coil voltage so high that you become a human chimney.

An e-cig system is about as long as the diagonal of your palm. You can grab it, take a drag at a reasonable voltage, exhale slowly and absolutely nothing of what you've done will be visible. From a distance it looks like you covered your mouth while coughing.
>>
lul at all the "I been smoking for X, never addicted. It's bullshit." anecdotes.

Google is your friend.

It's been reported, and re-reported for the last two decades that genetic (aka you are born with this and get it from your parents) predisposition to addiction accounts for about half of your likelihood to become addicted in general.

Additionally, different drugs hit different people in different ways--some people get hit much harder, and some people aren't affected at all--to the point that there is an entire budding field called pharmacogenomics that specifically seeks to combat this by tailoring drugs and medications to individual genetic makups.

Common guys... we live in the information age. There's not much excuse to spout random ignorance when you've got access to the information, literally in your pocket.
>>
>best friend smoked
>would offer me cigs occasionally
>I would smoke a few cigs every few weeks, no big deal
>"jeez what's the big deal I guess they're not as addictive as my elementary school teachers said it was"
>smoke more and more
>eventually smoking a pack a day
>"I just enjoy it, that's all"
>realize I'm hopelessly addicted and it completely snuck up on me
>smoked a pack a day for two years

It was hell to quit, and required vaping. Don't be a nigger, OP, stop smoking ASAP and never pick up cigarettes again.
>>
>>16436409
My buddies and I smoke pipes maybe once ever 1 or 2 months. We keep all the supplies at one dude's house just in case we get tempted but we've never had the addicted/dependent feeling
>>
>>16436566
If you truly weren't addicted then there's a strong chance you wouldn't have stuck with it; but here you are 6 years later, still smoking.

You're in denial.

Stop for a year and re-evaluate. You probably can't. First sign of it would be you trying to reason your way out of this "I don't need to stop for a year because...." or "that's not the best way of showing that..." or mere ignoring it.
>>
I've always wondered this. I smoke whenever I feel like it. Usually once a week, or whatever. But I'll go weeks without doing it and it never bothered me. I'd been told as a kid that the first cigarette you smoke is addictive, but I even tried smoking three a day for over a week and nothing happened. I think it's when you use it only when you're stressed.
>>
/adv/ doesnt know anything
just don't start chain smoking. If you ever want to quit, simply do not buy anymore cigarettes.
>>
Nobody wakes up and thinks "You know what, I'm going to become an addict today."

That shit sneaks up on everyone, regardless if it's cigarettes or heroin.

Vaping is also hilariously retarded and society as a whole will laugh at your mouth fedora.
>>
>>16436409
It depends more on the person. I legit cannot phathom how some people smoke a carton a day. I just dont see how you find the time. For some people its like one on the commute to work. One right before you go in the building. One during your lunch break. Taking a smoke break during the day. One at the end of the day. One on your way home. One at home. One after dinner. Its stupid desu.

For me, I started smoking at like 18/19 because I worked at a restaurant/bar during one summer, and every after hours thing involved drinking and smoking. So I picked it up there, and continued it a bit during uni. When I would smoke, it was like 2 a day at most kind of thing. More during parties. But one day I didnt have enough for a pack, and I was kinda like fuck it. Went like 6 months without one. Then when I casually picked it up one night with friends, there was no coughing or anything.
>>
The addiction becomes stronger over time.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.