[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was the victim of a hit and run a few months ago. Lucky for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 384x384
I was the victim of a hit and run a few months ago. Lucky for me I got the guy's plate number and, long story short, he was arrested and we are going to court in September. His public defender has been trying to contact me lately to try and reach a civil compromise (i.e. an amount he pays me to agree to drop the suit) because the guy pleaded not guilty.

In my state he'll face up to a year in jail, over $6000 in fines and the revocation of his license when they find him guilty in september. I'd frankly rather not have to go to court, and I think paying a hefty sum to me could serve as enough of a punishment since this guy clearly wants to buy his way out of a criminal conviction. Is $5000 a ridiculous number to ask for, if only just to get negotiations started? Does anyone have experience with these sorgs of things?
>>
Your initial offer should be way higher than what you actually expect to recieve just so that they will try and haggle down and you can end up getting more than you originally intended
>>
>>17370134

>Is $5000 a ridiculous number to ask for, if only just to get negotiations started?

Having a judgment against someone for $5000 is not a guarantee for payment. If you do go for a settlement make sure its a lump sum, not some monthly payment bullshit.

He could just as easily agree to pay you, make a down payment to get you off his back and skip town.

You should really have a lawyer help you work through this process so you don't get unwittingly fucked by the other guy's attorney.
>>
buy a car with the settlement money and hit him becuz he's gonna have to sell his and start biking
>>
>>17370177
This. Asking for $10k isn't bad because it means he won't have a hit and run case on his record along with jail. Go from there. Don't negotiate lower than what it cost plus $2000 for fuck you money.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.