[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jobless
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: 1419605709578.jpg (80 KB, 847x521) Image search: [Google]
1419605709578.jpg
80 KB, 847x521
It seems like no matter what I do or how hard I try I can’t get a job. I’m a 20-year-old male living in NC. The last job I had was about a year ago and it was the first job I had ever had. I worked retail from 2014 to 2015. Long story short, I quit that job because the management was going to shit.

While I’m living with my parents and going to college, I feel like a fucking loser because I don’t have any income. I’m tired of my folks giving me gas money and the like, even if I did house work for it. I want to earn my own money again through a real job. I’ve been applying to jobs left and right and even walking into stores, looking sharp, with resume in hand. I have no criminal record, I was never late to my old job, I left on my own terms (gave my 2 weeks), and even my pervious co-workers would put in a good word for me. I even have lots of volunteer work in various areas as well. I don’t think I’m perfection or some amazing worker that anyone would be privileged to have working for them and I’m sure there are many others like me but goddamn I can’t catch a break.

What do I do /adv/? The constant applying and rejection is starting to get to me. Any help or advise is much appreciated.

>TL;DR: What can I do to get a job?
>>
im having the same problem as you are. i am also 20 years old living with my mom. she also give me money cuz she feel bad for me and i always tell her not to give me any and use it on herself anyway my advise to you my friend is the same advise my friend told me. LIE just lie in your resume. lie in your interviews and lie until you get what you want. the reason is because most people these days want people with experience. they dont wanna train anybody cuz it waste there time but either way they gonna have to show you how its done.the only way for you to get experience is to get a job and the only way to get a job in this era is too have experience. once you get the job, learn everything about it and if you get fired then lie to the next job then the next and so on cuz its not really about the job, its all about experience hope my advise help you cuz i know it helps me a lot. i live in nyc and getting a job here is pretty challenging
>>
I'm in a similar position too and live in NC as well. I've been working with my dad until I find a job which has been for the past year or so now. Do you live in bumfuck nowhere with just corn and tobacco fields all around? I do, and it's so fucking hard to find a job around here. It doesn't help that half the population appears to be niggas that would rather hire fellow niggas than hire a white boy. Some places I don't even see one white person employed.
>>
File: 10rnqq566.jpg (93 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
10rnqq566.jpg
93 KB, 640x400
>>17369427
That all kinds of shitty Anon. I live in Wilmington, so I'm here with retarded college kids and old, rich Northerners who moved down South to make our lives hell. Good deal of nigs in my area but your more likely to see super liberal yuppies running around than anything. It's hard to get a job here due to the colleges and vacationers in the area. Once a job is posted its already gone.
>>
>>17369247
Show me that resume and cover letter (omit personal info) and I'll give you feedback on what you are doing right/wrong. Also give me some info on the jobs you are applying to.
>>
File: Resume 4chan.png (49 KB, 864x1130) Image search: [Google]
Resume 4chan.png
49 KB, 864x1130
>>17369543
Here ya go, I'm sure its not great but it's the best I could do.
>>
>>17369590
This is pretty awful to navigate through. On the surface it looks like you put no effort into it. For example you need to organize your work experience to be easier to read.

First and foremost in bold or in a bigger size will be the name of the work place and not the date you worked there. Bullet points for your job duties makes it easier for them to read.

Don't mean to alarm you but you made a lot of mistakes here.
>>
>>17369604
I tried, didn't get a lot of help with it and reading/looking at examples online didn't help me much either. I'll do what you said though, hope it will make it look better.
>>
File: flDATHG.png (43 KB, 847x1088) Image search: [Google]
flDATHG.png
43 KB, 847x1088
>>17369622
Here
>>
File: VrgyDwC.jpg (55 KB, 440x960) Image search: [Google]
VrgyDwC.jpg
55 KB, 440x960
>>17369690
Dang anon, that looks nice. I'll try to do something like that. It looks a lot better than what I made.

>tfw you have another thing to add to the list of things you're shit at.
Oh well...
>>
>>17369724
I'm a graphic designer so don't feel bad. Just do your best with what you have. The main thing is to be organized.
>>
>>17369690

Yeah Anon, this looks solid.

Have you been talking to potential employers about why you have a work gap? "The management was going to shit" is a really really terrible attitude and will turn off potential employers. If you leave a job, you generally need a good reason. You're young, you could say that you were planning to go away for school and FAFSA got revoked at the last minute. Or that you were pursuing some other kind of goal that shows you have initiative, like working in a trade or something. You look like you're in school, so say that the workload was interfering with your studies but you're confident that you now know how to organize your time. Hell, if all else fails, lie and say you needed to help take care of a family member.

Take the shit about wanting a "part time, minimum wage job" out of there. That makes you look like you're only looking for the bare minimum to get by. You want a job, first and foremost, and who wants to START at minimum wage? You discuss wages in the interview/hiring process.

Education should be bulleted.

Good luck!
>>
>>17369774
Whenever they ask about why I left my old job I just say it was because of school/college. I wouldn't dream about bad mouthing one company in front of another, that never looks good or goes over well. Good point about the "part time, minimum wage job" line though, I didn't think of it that way.

Thanks for the help!
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.