[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any doctors here? I'm considering med school, I have the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
Any doctors here? I'm considering med school, I have the know-how to pass chem and physics courses so getting a competitive resume probably wouldn't be that hard for me.

But to just apply to Med school without having any idea what I'd be in for at least until I got to residency seems like a leap of faith.

It's a huge time sink without knowing what's on the other side.

Does paramedicine and/or nursing give me a taste of what I'd be in for?
>>
>>17367487
disclaimer - I am not a physcian

However I have been in health care since 1995

My suggestion would be go Med tech if science interests you. If you still have the desire to go to become a physician after you have finnished your bachelors - you will have a solid foundation. If you decide that med school is too much, then you still have a career compared to someone with a generic pre-med or biology degree.
If nursing is your thing go for an RN, then nurse practitioner.
Or if you neither of those sound good go for Physician Assistant.

The real question is do you like dealing with miserable people?
>>
>>17367538
Well, I suppose I like the idea of "helping people" in the abstract, and I'm currently burnt out on my current real estate career path. I realize that's flimsy justification, but I hate that my hands are idle.
>>
>>17367487
To be accepted in to med school it's not good enough if you just "pass chem and physics". It's not easy and every year a large number of applicants are turned away. You'd need:
>a high GPA (3.0 or better - so mostly A's and few B's)
>letters of recommendation
>a high MCAT score
>healthcare experience
>financial resources

Have you even earned your undergrad yet? How old are you and what's your current level of schooling?
>>
>>17367603
I have an associate's degree, with a 3.6 GPA. I've looked into what is required of me, not going into this completely blind.

I'm 24 though, so it's not like exactly like I'm a gunner straight out of highschool with a shining record either.

Hence the OP.
>>
>>17367687
Im a doctor, 2nd year resident acidotic, at a big center. Just got off a long ass shift and I'm grumpy and tired. What do you want to know?

Med school is easy. If you are a "good student" (able to memorize and regurgitate a huge amount of material). There's nothing on the line, no critical thinking. Just memorize a shit ton of info that will largely be worthless (just as undergrad info is worthless to med school)

That will be board exams, applications to residency, the stress builds. The stakes get higher. Then into residency itself and your basically an indentured servant.

But hey youre "helping people"

Just now what the fuck you're getting into. The stress never ends, the stakes get higher. Its an entire lifes commitment. Not just a "job"
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.